Foam Dreadlocks, Cheap, Easy, Looks Good.

Glocko

P6170064.jpg

K-flex is just an Elastomeric Foam insulation i bought from bunnings (hardware store)
Mainly used to insulate hotwater system pipes.
Comes in 1 metre lengths at around 4-5 Dollars, I manged to get 4 dreads out of one length so around 1 dollar a dred.
Folded and stuck using flexible contact adhesive. refer to instructions of the adhesive you use.
Once stuck firm i dipped the dreds into Liquid Latex with a black pigment additive (2 coats).
Pritty simple, great weight and flexibility just as good as the good ones.

2012-06-15 19.24.36.jpg

I had cut down the middle and in half, then tapered the halfpiping to one of the ends
P6170067.jpg

2012-06-15 19.32.59.jpg

Make sure the contact adhesive goes all the way to the edge. spread evenly, use a paddle pop stick or tooth pick.

P6170062.jpg

P6170059.jpg

P6170060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Brissy pred, nice.
I was planning on using this stuff for my dreds as well good to see that it works really nicely. Clark Rubber has is in different sizes though so you can avoid the seam down the edge

Another Brissy pred, nice.
I was planning on using this stuff for my dreds as well good to see that it works really nicely. Clark Rubber has is in different sizes though so you can avoid the seam down the edge

Yeah did ask Clark rubber if it was possible to get a smaller diameter, apparently not. went and searched for a K-Flex site aswell. wasnt much help either.

Yeah did ask Clark rubber if it was possible to get a smaller diameter, apparently not. went and searched for a K-Flex site aswell. wasnt much help either.

Ah ok, maybe the stuff I am thinking of is a bit different, I just remember seeing it and thinking that would make great dreds.
Anyways good luck with your build :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back