Foam Batman, Lighted chest signal test 29/2/12

To make your box, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a small roll of aluminum roof flashing. It is very thin and malleable, easy to cut, and reflective. You can get a good size roll for about $7! I used this to make the boxes to contain my LEDs for my Iron Man helmet, and it worked fairly well

I tried with EL wire but I couldn't get sharp enough corners on the bat wings, but thanks. I kinda want to have several different coloured LED's fading in and out behind it kinda like a plasma effect.
Here are some shots to show closer what I did.
While cutting the shape out I had my doubts but i think it works.
DSCF5282.jpg

I have to sharper some areas up a bit more.
DSCF5283.jpg

The tested the foam and hot glue on several different pieces of plastic and this plastic while melted a little gave the best impossible to pull off stick.
DSCF5285.jpg

here is a shot of the armor so far.
DSCF5287.jpg

To make your box, go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a small roll of aluminum roof flashing. It is very thin and malleable, easy to cut, and reflective. You can get a good size roll for about $7! I used this to make the boxes to contain my LEDs for my Iron Man helmet, and it worked fairly well

I appreciate the tip thanks I will look into it. Thanks again.

This is a great design - totally love the idea of the lighted bat emblem... and the foam work is awesome!!!

I may have a suggestion for the lights though... there are some RGB LED strips that will give you the same "pulsing" effect. If you google RGB 5050 LED Strip, you'll see what I'm referring to. It's possible to get them real cheap on eBay.

The problem though it they run off 12V - so a portable power solution is going to be a bit costly. When I was looking at building a TRON costume, I researched these and a possible power solution was a 12V battery pack that ranged from 40 to 100$ depending on mAh rating (which would determine how long the battery would be able to run the LED).

Well, it looks like I will be able to do some more to the suit later tonight. I was going to hold off for a while untill things get a bit more sorted out here. But my lovely wife told me that I need a release and building is one of my best releases so once I clear a bit more of the basement I will have a small work area yeah!!!. I think I am going to work on a prototype of the gauntlet and see if it will be feasible or not.

Thanks I appreciate the kind words.
Here is a small update.
I sealed the foam with white glue and then got started on a few coats of paint.
DSCF5334.jpg

Yes I used the same foam, I get rolls of it for around $20 at Walmart. It is the same as I am using for my Ironman build, the same I used for some of my Wall-e and R2-D2 builds aswell.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back