Foam Armour?

well hey guys i just thought of somthing aparently i heard use for sale signs as armour . Right opposite of my house theres this for sale sign its big and i wanna take it LOL but is for sale signs good? or foam.

PS : would i get any trouble for taking it , it says sold.

Hiya mate,

I'd been wanting to find some foam myself and this post made do a little research. Depending on how much foam you think you'll need, try Clark Rubber: http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/foam/foam-pr...ality-foam.html

From what I've read foamies and other craft foams are EVA foam (whatever that is) or very similar - and Clarks sell foam camping mats in a variety of thicknesses. You can also try Reject Shop. They're apparently pretty darn cheap too, compared to buying a heap of little cut squares anyway. HTH, I'm gonna check out my local Clarks tomorrow...

EDIT: And yeah... I wouldn't recommend taking that for sale sign...

hah! i was thinking about clark rubber but i didnt know which one to buy well thanks for the help. Ill check the reject shops in other places :lol: so glad to have a aussy helping out

The stuff in the links is what I used, it's the Aussie equvalent of foamies. Theres a special foam used in sign writing which makes good armour as it can be moulded with heat and remains pretty hard, I can't remember what it's called though.
Camping mats would work well, but I would find a camping store rather than clark rubber in my experience they can be pretty expensive.
Or you can go for the good old plastic bucket method

Theres a special foam used in sign writing which makes good armour as it can be moulded with heat and remains pretty hard, I can't remember what it's called though.
Sintra in the US
Foamex in the UK
? in Australia

Generically it's PVC Foam Board (chemically foamed PVC board). I have a sheet but haven't used much yet. A search for either will yield plenty of results.

I'm using ABS a lot. My son's might end up being Styrene because I can vacuform it easier.

Post #5 of mine in this thread is a quick comparison of Sintra vs. ABS
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=15510

EDIT: Styrene not Polyethylene

The stuff in the links is what I used, it's the Aussie equvalent of foamies. Theres a special foam used in sign writing which makes good armour as it can be moulded with heat and remains pretty hard, I can't remember what it's called though.
Camping mats would work well, but I would find a camping store rather than clark rubber in my experience they can be pretty expensive.
Or you can go for the good old plastic bucket method

Thanks Kelz, I'll check it out in store and see how I go. Good to have someone who's actually used the stuff chime in.

And excellent work on those wrist blades MasterAnubis, they look awesome!

Cheers

You might wanna look for Dynamat too. its a special thick foam used for car floor mats. easy to work and sturdy for armor. I did a mandalorian armor out of that and it woks beautifully.

cheers!

And excellent work on those wrist blades MasterAnubis, they look awesome!
Thanks!

Like I said, those were made out of ABS. I doubled up on the thickness and had to glue two layers together to get 1/4 inch. I think that technique could be applied to bucket plastic although I don't know what could glue it together. I do know that some people have laminated foam and something else to get something less floppy and still light.

Anyway, If you end up looking into plastics over foam, local sign shops should help. I called two sign shops about Sintra and the first one didn't have a clue. That might have been more about the lack of training then their resources. I'm real lucky that I have a plastic supply company two miles from home.

You might wanna look for Dynamat too. its a special thick foam used for car floor mats. easy to work and sturdy for armor. I did a mandalorian armor out of that and it woks beautifully.
Wouldn't that would be heavy and pricey? Now that I think about it, Dynamat make a few product. Do you have any pics of how that looks?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back