Foam Armor Crafting (Video)

quick question:
if i use a hairdryer for forming, would that work?
im thinking about doing thor armor with foam, i never did foam before tho, so im not sure about stuff :)

Nice concise video
but I gotta tell you.
I almost jumped out of my seat twice the first time you start using the heat gun, it almost touched your arm twice and I got goosebumps imagining the pain.

Be more careful ;)

quick question:
im thinking about doing thor armor with foam, i never did foam before tho, so im not sure about stuff :)

Hairdryers do not get as hot as heat guns do. I haven't done any work with foam before but I would think that in order to permanently reform it you would need temperatures hotter than a hair dryer can provide.

Walmart, Lowe's, and Home Depot here in the states have basic heat guns for $20-$30. Mine is a Wagner with 750 degree and 1000 degree settings and I believe was $25 at Walmart. Not sure about options over your way.

Edit: I have had my 1000 degree heat gun just barely touch my finger. Instant burn!!!

Last edited:
Good stuff. I actually watched your tutorials way back when on the armor out of a 50 gallon drum.....good to see you on here posting as well.

take care,
Tommy

quick question:
I use camping mat foam and i just use a hair drier and it works fine for me one tip tho try and do all you bending before gluing when i did my first foam helmet i tried to heat and curve the face plate more and the heat melted the glue and it fell apart

I use camping mat foam and i just use a hair drier and it works fine for me one tip tho try and do all you bending before gluing when i did my first foam helmet i tried to heat and curve the face plate more and the heat melted the glue and it fell apart
thx for the info :) well, i dont want to buy a heatgun, with my allready small funds :) rather invest in materials xD

also the thor armor doesnt have that many bends anyway. just slight curving :)

I'm not sure if the hair dryer would get hot enough. The heat gun costs about the same amount. Maybe 20 buck at most for the cheap model like mine.

It's a good video I love your energy, comes across well. I had no idea i could sand eva foam! Now I wont try to carve out my round edges. Just in time for my Buzz Lightyear foam build.

yeah, heat guns are pretty cheap. I got mine for 10 dollars
well, thats tha advantage of the us

around here, EVERYTHING is expensive

the cheapest heat gun was at a discounter for 40 bucks.
also, i have to drive for almost 1 hour to get eva foam(which is expensive too, but not too expensive XD ), as no shops here carry it, and theres only one we found so far in our general area

well, thats tha advantage of the us

around here, EVERYTHING is expensive

the cheapest heat gun was at a discounter for 40 bucks.
also, i have to drive for almost 1 hour to get eva foam(which is expensive too, but not too expensive XD ), as no shops here carry it, and theres only one we found so far in our general area

oh just realized you were in Austria. sorry buddy :)

EyeofSauron, question! What is eva foam called in Austria? And how much does it cost? I don't live in Austria, but I have some relatives which I could ask to get me materials.
Since, I don't live in the states and there are no eva foams in stores around here, so i'm hoping I could find an alternative to internet shopping, at least in the beginning of my venture in foam building =P

its actually the same its "EVA schaumstoff", or "Schaumstoff Bodenmatten" the only shop that had them was "Bauhaus"
also, if you need thinner plates, look for "moosgummi"

hmmm I might try the local bauhaus, or baumaxx, to see if they have it there, i must admit, i didn't really try too hard to find the foam =P
anyway, thanks for the info :D

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back