FMA Automail Arm WIP - Lots of pics (Update 12/07)

infymys

Sr Member
I've put off my IM MVI build too long that it's gotten too cold to do any type of plasti-dip or paint. So, I decided to start a new build. I was originally going to do Alphonse Elric using the files from this thread, but I've always liked the Edward character a lot more in FMA and decided to start on the Automail Arm.

For the majority of the build I will be using Amethyst Angel's tutorial as well as the patterns that are supplied within. There were some minor sizing adjustments that I had to do and if anyone else that attempts this, Photoshop or another comparable graphics editing software will be quite helpful.

Without further adieu, I give you my progress so far:

Fingers:

2011-11-29185901.jpg

Fingers attached with braided elastic:

2011-11-29192315.jpg

Fitting the fingers and flex test:

2011-11-29192417.jpg

2011-11-29192436.jpg

2011-11-29192526.jpg

Top of the hand and palm:

2011-11-29202449.jpg

2011-11-29202459.jpg

2011-11-29202543.jpg

Assembled hand and test fit:

2011-11-29204603.jpg

2011-11-29204617.jpg

2011-11-29204715.jpg

2011-11-29204851.jpg

Any suggestions, criticisms or whatnot are most welcomed.

Last edited:
Re: FMA Automail Arm WIP - Lots of pics

Looking good! What is the material you are using? If it is a type of craft foam let me warn you from experience, your finished piece will have a limited life span. Sweat + Bending will break down the foam. Not that it will fall apart after one wear, but don't expect it to last for years either. If you use some sort of sealant it can prolong the life of the piece. Cant wait to see more!

whoa thats a brilliant idea for the fingers!
using fishing line is kinda inflexible, as it doesnt stretch :)but this is cool

Looking good! What is the material you are using? If it is a type of craft foam let me warn you from experience, your finished piece will have a limited life span. Sweat + Bending will break down the foam. Not that it will fall apart after one wear, but don't expect it to last for years either. If you use some sort of sealant it can prolong the life of the piece. Cant wait to see more!

It's 3mm EVA. I do intend to seal it with a PVA/water mixture then if the weather permits, a few coats of plastidip before any paint is added. As the tutorial suggests, I also plan to add an inner lining on the shoulder and upper arm pieces which should help prolong the piece. Thanks for the advice!

whoa thats a brilliant idea for the fingers!
using fishing line is kinda inflexible, as it doesnt stretch :)but this is cool

Thanks! All credit goes to Amethyst Angel and her tutorial.

I've been wanting to do this since I was forced to watch the show in subtitles back when it came out in Japan. Super jealous! Awesome job so far.

Thanks for the kind words!

It's been a few days because work has exhausted me. Got to do a little work on the project today.

Did some accenting with some studs to make it look as if it was riveted.
Shoulder plates and body harness:

2011-12-07193933.jpg

All the pieces placed together:

2011-12-07194043.jpg

Still a few more accents needed especially on the body harness thing and then figuring out how to actually join the pieces together. I'm liking how it's turned out so far.

Wow, that looks great! Any updates?

Thanks! Work and being lazy has kept me from working on the arm lately. BUT, I've been watching a lot of Stargate lately which has got me thinking of a hybrid build.

thumbnail.aspx
+
180px-Horus_Guard_Poster.jpg

I've printed the pep file for the Horus helmet that Pepmaster posted here and got off to a small start. Going to be a big undertaking since I will be doing the resin, fiberglass and bondo way. So hopefully, an update by the weekend or shortly after.

Lookin good! I did something similar when making my ironman palms. As a suggestion to cover your fingers more, why not add another set of elastic strips on the interior of the fingers?

Something like this I mean

do it properly and it causes the fingers to naturally curl like a real hand while simultaneously hiding a bit more of your skin...meaning you won't have to necessarily wear gloves or anything like that underneath.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back