1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Limited Run Floating Marksman-H Jedi Training Remote

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by Trooper_trent, Aug 10, 2018.

1. R2trooper

R2trooper New Member

Hey Trent. Thanks for the reply. So....
    It will go a few hours spinning CCW, it slows down over that period, and will then spin back and fourth between CCW and CW for a bit before finally just sitting there.

I have tried it with and without the UPS.

I have unplugged it, and pushed the remote to the base, and even moved it circles. The same rotation problem.

I kept it plugged and lit up, pushed the remote down to the base, got a bit more resistance this time of course. Moved it around in circles pushing on the magnetic field, and heard the squeaking .

Same rotation problem. It won’t stay rotating in either direction for more than a few hours. While I’m not in my geek basement all the time, it does suck having to remove the protective glass plate and give it a gentle nudge a couple of times to get it moving again.
    Do you have any other suggestions Trent? Thanks!!!

2. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nothing other than making sure you don't have any other electronics close by that could be interfering with it. If it was working but now it's not, it's either got interference or something happened to one of the potentiometers if you had a crash or if it got too hot. Also make sure that keeping it behind glass isn't causing it to overheat.

3. bill fimm

bill fimm Active Member

Thank you Trent for this awesome prop! The remote is beautiful, and so detailed. Everything about this piece is incredible, including the limited edition numbered box. Getting all the pictures and updates as you did my build was so much fun man! Your step by step instructions and video made floating it super-easy. Once my backup power supply gets here, the remote will be put it in its permanent spot. In the meantime......

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    RogueFive and Trooper_trent like this.
  4. Kwiatkma

Kwiatkma New Member

Please add me to the list! Saw your excellent work on Facebook and I’m sold!

5. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Be sure it’s away from metallic objects. I was going to set mine up on my workbench for the video, but it has a metal table top cover

R2trooper likes this.
  6. R2trooper

R2trooper New Member

Thanks. I do have the two Icons nickel lightsabers on either side of the remote. It could be those interfering with the mag fields. I have moved the lightsabers far away from that area and will see what happens. The on,y electronics near it is just the the base power cord.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

7. the Pawn

the Pawn Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Please add me to the list.

Thank you!

8. Trooper_trent

Sure thing.

Juansith, check your messages. You're up!

9. Trooper_trent

jazar check your messages. You're also up!

10. balthazar5050

balthazar5050 New Member

Hi, please add me to the list. These look great!

11. R2trooper

R2trooper New Member

Thanks Trent and Haliax. I moved the metal sabers away, but it didn’t help. I moved the whole base and remote out of the glass cube cabinet, and onto a plastic shelf away from everything. It has been going now for about 4 days, with no stops. It could have been the connectors that hold the glass plates, but they seemed to be plastic with a chrome covering. I even touched them with a magnet, and it would attract or hold the connector. Or maybe it just didn’t like being in the glass, or some wires on the other side of the wall....I’m not really sure. Well thanks for the help and advice, awesome customer service as always, and awesome support from the members of the forum. ‘Ol 33 seems to be up and running (well, rotating) just fine now. Now when do get the sign up list for a Trooper Trent floating Thermal Detonator???? LOL.

12. Trooper_trent

Wow! Great detective work! I'll bet the metal frame for the glass shelves were affecting it. Or did you maybe have multiple things plugged into the same outlet? Interesting.

halliwax likes this.
  13. zjunlimited

zjunlimited Active Member

How about a Death Star instead? Go big or go home...I’ll let Trooper_trent decide the scale and ANH or ROTJ ;)

#043 should be here tomorrow. Yeeehaw!!

Trooper_trent likes this.
  14. Trooper_trent

Let me know if it arrives safely! And read the instructions! Go slow, keep your fingers under it so it doesn't hit the base!
    Can't wait to see it in its new home!

In the mean time here are some new comparison photos.

Compare1.png Compare2.png Compare3.png Compare4.png Compare5.png

russellsch, Johnnyfl and Scimitar like this.
  15. zjunlimited

For sure...and 10-4. (y)

16. halliwax

This is now becoming scary... they look identical... even down to the nicks...

17. clmayfield

clmayfield New Member

Ha! Mine that my office helped me to "weather" looks more like the original than a new one... I am missing the spikes in most of the right places. That is hilarious!

18. Trooper_trent

Yeah, it makes total sense as to why almost every single one of those are missing on the real prop. Like I always say..."Free weathering!"
    but again, if you want to replace any of that stuff, just let me know. I'm sure we can figure something out.

halliwax likes this.
  19. Trooper_trent

Hey guys.
    So I’ve thought long and hard about how to handle this but I think it’s best to just come out and say it. I’m afraid I’m going to need to bump up the price on these a bit to justify the increase in materials cost as well as the process improvements I’ve been making behind the scenes. I honestly never thought I’d even get to 50 much less still be going strong. So I’m going to honor the $599 price through to number 50 as that’s a nice round Cut-Over number. At that point I’ll be bumping these to $629. I realize an extra $30 is nothing to scoff at so I completely understand if you need to back out and there will be absolutely no hard feelings on my end. I appreciate everyone’s enthusiasm about these and I just hope it doesn’t cause any bad blood. I tried to be up front from day one that the price was subject to change so hopefully it’s not too bad of a shock. The upside is that I’ll be able to keep on making these for the foreseeable future and continue to improve them as I go while giving each one the care and attention it deserves, rather that closing the run off at 50. Also, I don’t even feel like I’m bragging anymore when I say how much more accurate these are now compared to the Master Replicas version which still lists for much more than I’m asking for these. Plus, it's a much more limited run, much more personal, and you know, the whole lighting up and levitating thing ;)

Please let me know if you need to back out or if you have any thoughts. And again, thank you guys so much for your continued support on these. I’m still thoroughly enjoying building every single one.

Best,
    Trent.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 6:03 AM
    RogueFive, Scimitar and halliwax like this.
  20. Somerset

Somerset Active Member

21. halliwax

I see what Trent goes through to make these things. Many of times when we are video chatting he’s assembling them, his printers are going 24/7 (no literally 24/7) his attention to detail is non other...

The costs of material have gone up, the costs of cleaning materials have gone up. Don’t forget the work involved in cleaning these printers. Curing the pieces....it’s like everything else it the world.. material always goes up

special tools have been bought to help with assembly. What the heck is a extra 30 bucks to have the most accurate replica on the market, that freak’n floats!!

Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest

Again Trent, you got these things to the point where it passes for the real deal.. I commend you buddy

22. DarthWilder

DarthWilder New Member

These are too cool. Please add me to the list. Thanks!

23. Trooper_trent

I've been asked that a few times. I see it this way. I'm not the only one that offers training remotes or even parts, so you can get a static one by other means. You can find a set of parts, a couple of a plastruct hemispheres and make your own. The fact that these hover and light up makes them special and unique so I don't think I'd be interested in doing static ones. People also assume that the floating and lights is what makes these a bit pricey, but that's not really true. Two plastruct domes plus the additional materials and work I'd need to alter my process in order to build one out of that would end up being only about a $40 difference.
    I might eventually do kits but there are issues there too. A really good chunk of the work is making and prepping the parts.
    My process has been streamlined using custom made jigs and tools so that I can build one without ever using a ruler once. Even the first step of marking and cutting perfectly positioned, perfectly sized, perfectly round holes into a sphere has its own challenges. Do I start building a ton of those custom tools and include them in each kit so you can build it much more easily? or do I just dump a bunch of raw parts in a bag and you're on your own to figure out all of those measurements down to the .25mm? Do I include a sheet of styrene so you cut your own parts? or do I pre-cut everything? I've learned so much about these and how a slight change in technique can make or break it so if I were to do kits, I'd want to do them the right way. Fully inclusive, with video tutorials step by step. The problem with that is the extra time and work involved in putting all of that together because really, after making all of the parts, I'd just be swapping one kind of work (assembling it and painting it) for another (organizing kits, making jigs, and prepping parts). I don't know that a kit would be sufficiently less expensive enough to warrant it, especially when each person would then have to purchase the remaining items needed to build them (drill press, specialty bits, putty, sand paper, primer, paint, brushes, glue, hobby knifes, weathering washes, chroming, etc. etc.)

I think for the time being, I'll keep doing what I'm doing as long as people keep wanting them. And at some point in the future when my day job lets up a bit and I have more time, I might invest some energy in proper tutorial videos and start offering these in kit form. But this is almost like therapy for me. It's a great way to de-stress so I'm getting something out of making each one. Not really ready to give that up just yet.

24. Somerset

Somerset Active Member

I think that's fair enough and thanks for explaining! Wanting to make sure that you deliver the best possible product is what makes this kind of run so appealing.

And I know what you mean about having all the extra parts and tools needed to make things go together

Like I said - you're a one man factory!

Trooper_trent likes this.
  25. bountyblaster

bountyblaster New Member

I'd like to get on the list for one of these awesome training remotes also. Thank you

26. Trooper_trent

Sure thing! just make sure you have notifications turned on so you get alerted when I message you.
    Lots of no-shows lately because people aren't checking the boards.

27. zjunlimited

Hey guys, after being out sick when my remote arrived I finally feel better enough to put together a video review. But not just any 'ol review....my first unboxing review so I hope you enjoy.

But I gotta say, this is way better in person. I'm so glad that I got in on this run. Thanks again Trooper_trent .