1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Limited Run Floating Marksman-H Jedi Training Remote

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by Trooper_trent, Aug 10, 2018.

1. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And the list goes on!

2. FuzzyWampa

FuzzyWampa New Member

These look awesome! Put me down for one please!

Do you have a link to the different bases you have?

3. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sure thing. Added you.
    I just offer the one UFO style base for now as it has been by far the most popular. Any customization you want me to do with it, such as the holochess board design or other symbol / logo of your choosing, is discussed during your build process.

List updated. Does anyone know nicktheguy? If so, tell him to check his messages before he gets skipped over.

4. RogueFive

RogueFive Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome work, Trent. Can't believe how nice this is. Please put me down on the list. The good list, not the other list ;)

halliwax and Trooper_trent like this.
  5. Trooper_trent

We don't talk about that other list. lol

RogueFive likes this.
  6. Trooper_trent

Cameron Ross, check your messages please :)

Friendly reminder that if you're on the list, please take a minute to make sure you have notifications turned on so that you get an email when you get a message. If you don't come here often, or if you only signed up on the RPF to get on the list, please know that the only way I have to get in touch with you is via a private message. So if I message you letting you know you're next but you don't sign on for weeks or months at a time, it'll be too late by the time you realized your slot has come and gone.

Cameron Ross likes this.
  7. zjunlimited

zjunlimited Active Member

Well, you did advise everyone of this so not sure why its so hard. However, there seems to be quite a number of historically inactive and new members so the likelihood they are monitoring this on a regular basis or is familiar with the notification features is probably low. Must be quite frustrating for you though in any case.

Good news though is I've moved up like 10 slots since signing up :)….lol

Trooper_trent likes this.
  8. Trooper_trent

I had one guy message me on facebook asking why I skipped over him because he hadn't heard from me in months so he went to the thread only to see I was long passed his number. He got a little testy with me for not communicating better (I'm pretty sure I have great communication) until I asked how he would have liked me to reach out to him since all I had was a username. I even went to far as to google his username to see if he showed up in any other forums and try to get a hold of him that way. I get it, he was disappointed he got skipped over, but I did everything I could.

baptizer and halliwax like this.
  9. Cameron Ross

Cameron Ross New Member

Hi Trent... Sorry for the delay, I've turned on notifications now, please drop me to the end of the list but keep me on it! I still want this, but need to start setting aside funds so I am ready when you get to me... :) Thanks!!

10. Trooper_trent

Done. Thanks!
    Next up is Petowalker
    Message incomming.

Petowalker likes this.
  11. zjunlimited

I hear you and saw your message in one of the FB groups so I know you are trying. But at the end, you can only do so much before you have to move on.

12. Trooper_trent

;) sounds like someone is anxious for me to get the next 5 or so knocked out. haha

zjunlimited likes this.
  13. Johnnyfl

Johnnyfl Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds like the Thor/Dr Strange discussion.....
    Dr Strange; I could have called you but you don't have a phone,
    Thor; No I don't have a phone but you could have sent an electronic letter its called an email,
    Dr Strange; Yes do you have a computer?
    Thor; No what for?

Jediwannabe and Trooper_trent like this.
  14. halliwax

Check the forum daily, trent has super communication skills. I love how he involves you throw out the entire build. Sending pics of almost every day progress

He gives us instructions for a reason

15. clmayfield

clmayfield New Member

My Jedi Training Remote arrived last night and let me say this. First of all, my grandfather used to collect Cowboy Art. He literally spent millions on paintings and bronze sculptures. I never understood that until now. This is a beautiful piece of art that I could just stare at for hours.

In terms of the purchase experience... I have bought a lot of parts as well as several commissions over the years. This is by far the best purchase experience ever. And the next best one is not even close. Trent gave updates and pictures through each step of the remote being made. Communication was A+++. It was awesome!

My only comment is that I have read about getting the thing to hover right and I knew it was tricky but I wasn't expecting the amount of force when I was trying to float the remote and banged it to the base... several times. It is kind of tricky getting your hands placed just right to make sure that you don't crash the unit. There are directions that come with the unit, which I followed. But still... bang. So be careful.

Overall, this instantly became one of my prized possessions. Well worth the wait.

halliwax likes this.
  16. Trooper_trent

Dude I really appreciate the kind words. I'm so glad you're happy with it.
    Yes, I can't stress enough, the importance of using your fingers under the remote to cradle it and to act as a bumper. If you're holding it right, you never have to worry about it contacting the base because your fingers will stop it. Those magnets are strong and will definitely surprise you.
    I'll see about updating my instructional video to stress this point a bit more.
    If you have any damage from it banging on the base, message me and I'll see what can be done.

halliwax likes this.
  17. clmayfield

clmayfield New Member

No damage. It is very well built. I am uploading a Youtube video for my Facebook feed. I shared your original Youtube video and this girl on my feed went absolutely gaga over that... and your lightsaber collection. I've seen a lot of lightsabers. I haven't seen a lot of these! Awesome. Now I need to finish my thermal detonator to put on display next to it.

The only thing that would make it even more awesome is a "humming" sound file to match the visuals.

Again, just brilliant. I can't get any work done. I keep staring at it on my desk.

18. clmayfield

clmayfield New Member

OK. One of the ladies from work saw it in my office and touched it and broke it trying to get it to float again while I was out to lunch. Not a big deal. Just a spine off of one of the greeblies. I can probably reattach it with CYA.

19. Sherman Archibald

Sherman Archibald New Member

The length of that order list is impressive. But if you really want to keep building them, I should get in the queue. :) Please add me to the list.

Thanks!

20. Markgarcia10

Markgarcia10 Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man oh man getting so close. Super excited about this.

21. Trooper_trent

Funny how people can't help but mess with it. and then try to cover it up by fixing it. I've had the same thing happen to me.
    Message me if you want to talk about replacing anything. but yeah gorilla glue works great. And if it's one of the pegs from the small wheels that go on top and bottom of each laser, just know that the screen used prop has nearly all of them broken off by now. so hey! free weathering!
    I left them on because at least some were still intact during filming.

halliwax likes this.
  22. zjunlimited

Flashbacks of that scene in Men in Black ..... lol

23. cyberblock

cyberblock Active Member

This reminds me of this every time I hand an executive a prototype. Different, but somewhat relatable. Sorry I had to share this...

24. Trooper_trent

Mine are a little more durable than that LOL

halliwax, Petowalker and cyberblock like this.
  25. clmayfield

clmayfield New Member

I am laughing my a$$ off right now.

26. Adam Gelbard

Adam Gelbard New Member

Can I please get my name on your list I want a Jedi floating training ball. Gelbarda001 at y dot c is my direct email sir. God bless Adam

27. Trooper_trent

Hey Adam, sure no problem! I manage the list here so I'll contact you via a private message when it's your turn. So if you aren't going to be checking the forum very often, please make sure your account is setup so that you get emailed a notification when you receive a message on the forum.

28. Kevlegs

Kevlegs Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Add me to the list. It's pretty cool

29. Trooper_trent

30. ReadyPlayer25

ReadyPlayer25 New Member

Thanks, Trent! PM sent back.

31. Trooper_trent

List updated.

Also, I just got a new shipment of materials so If you're anywhere in the next 6 slots, expect a message from me soon.
    Thanks!

32. Trooper_trent

Number 40 has shipped.

CalamitysChild, you're up next. PM incoming!

ReadyPlayer25 and Scimitar like this.
  33. nicktheguy

nicktheguy New Member

Argh - serves me right for not checking this month - oh well - I'm still in and happy to go back in the bottom of the queue.

34. nicktheguy

nicktheguy New Member

I have learned the hard way and will now be checking this forum daily - it's so worth it and I am so sad I missed my spot - I won't let that happen again should I be so lucky to get a second go-around.

35. Trooper_trent

No biggie, I'm not being a stickler about it. People that drop off the list or ask to be removed, I'll remove. But if you've been waiting and just didn't check your PM in time, I'm not going to bump you all the way to the bottom. Message sent.

RogueFive likes this.
  36. R2trooper

R2trooper New Member

Hey Trent! And everyone else too. A quick question for everyone. My remote stops rotating after about 24 hours to 36 hours. Is this normal? I have had it off the base for a couple of days, then tried it again, and the same thing, after 24-36 hours it will gradually slow down and stop. I have removed it, unplugged the base, and set it back up multiple times at least 4 now. And every time, it will do this. When looking straight down at the top of the remote, I have start spinning counter clockwise. It did take a hard bump when we lost power, before I had an UPS, or could it be the UPS causing this problem? Or is this even a problem, and nothing to worry about? Thanks.

37. Trooper_trent

Have you tried getting it going clockwise? I've seen several that will spin both ways, and I've seen some that spin better one way than the other.
    I doubt it was the crash, but you may have jarred the potentiometers. That can happen in shipping too. You might want to try first, using it without the UPS (with a clear forecast to avoid outages) for a few days and see if if behaves differently. If so then you know what's causing it.
    OTherwise, I would try holding it like you do when you set it to float but move it around a little more forcefully and "push" it into the base against the magnetic field just for a couple of seconds and see if you can get it to squeak. I don't fully understand what that squeak means other than that it's reacting to the globe and adapting. I've had some bases arrive at my house where they wouldn't float at all in the beginning and I have to work with them using that method. then once it starts squeaking, it's like everything loosens up and starts working the way it's supposed to.
    I know that is "highly technical" lol but for some reason it seems to work.

R2trooper likes this.
  38. Johnnyfl

Johnnyfl Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's a solid scientific principle. I have seen a lot of things start to work better once you make them squeak a little ;)

39. halliwax

Mine hasn’t stopped spinning, but I find it amazing that some days it spins the opposite way. Seems that when it spins counter clockwise it’s slower then clock wise

I’ve only had to re set it 4-5 times because of power outage or we had to kill the main breaker in the house for some reason

When I set it up for the first time she jus floats, then 2-3 minutes later she starts spinning on her own

It’s quite a mesmerizing thing

40. fonzie22

fonzie22 New Member

Please add me to the list. Should have done this months ago.

41. Theo Freidenrich

Theo Freidenrich New Member

Hi Trent, count me in on the run! Great stuff!

42. zjunlimited

Out of curiosity, do most people have the remote powered and spinning constantly or do you have it displayed static on a stand and power it up every now and then?

43. Trooper_trent

Sure thing. Make sure you have notifications turned on in your profile so you get an email when I message you, especially if you don't plan on visiting the board frequently.
    Thanks

44. Trooper_trent

List updated. Couple of more are on their way to their new homes!

CompareNew.png

Kevlegs, Scimitar, russellsch and 3 others like this.
  45. halliwax

Freak’n out of this world...

46. Brodie53

Brodie53 Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Had mine plugged and spinning for months without issue. But had a couple random power cycle / outage at the house and it dropped like a brick. Happened twice so now I'm considering setting it up just as a static display and putting it on the spinning base for party tricks. Great news is it's durable and still looks awesome with no damage but I still cringe at the memory of the *thud*.

47. Trooper_trent

I have a link to a UPS battery backup in the first post that will help you avoid that. ;)

48. dandirk

dandirk New Member

20 more to go... Where is Tonya Harding when you need her? ;)

clmayfield likes this.
  49. clmayfield

clmayfield New Member

I have mine on display at my office. The upside is that more people see it... which is the point of these things (for me, at least). If I kept it in my man cave as "my precious," only a handful of people would ever see it. I built a Han in Carbonite and when I told someone that people touch it when I put it on public display, he said he wouldn't do that, which is a shame. This is art and its purpose is to bring people enjoyment.

The downside of keeping it at the office is that it has now crashed twice. The first time would have resulted in no damage, except they tried to get it to float again further crashing it. This next time, I let somebody use my desk and he leaned on it and cashed it hard. He crushed one of the bottom greeblies, but you can't even notice while it is floating.

I much prefer more people getting enjoyment, even if it is subject to damage.

50. Trooper_trent

ouch!
    I sell replacement parts in case it gets bad enough to warrant a facelift. They come prepainted and pre-weathered to match. ;)

halliwax and R2trooper like this.