Flight of the Navigator Trimaxion Drone Ship

BTTFSpencer

Sr Member
I've been wanting to have a model of this wonderful sculpture. Ever since I was a young boy, I would watch this film with my father, it is one that we both enjoy to this day.

I'd like to ask if anybody has a method for me to acquire a casting of a model that I can display in my home.

Thanks for reading!

Flight of the Navigator Trimaxion Drone Ship.jpg

If you don't find any existing models I'd happily build one in CAD for 3D printing if decent ortho views were available.

Funnily enough, there are wire frame type drawings featured prominently in the film.

I should be able to acquire high resolution Blu Ray frame grabs for you. There are plenty of side and front views also available on the web.

flight of the navigator.jpg

I can get much higher resolution than this for example...

Yes, I saw that on a quick Google Images search, not ideal as it's filmed footage off a CRT display. Could be worse but also could be a lot better. I wonder if similar is shown in the Cinefex issue - I'll have a look if I have it.

I did find one or two 3d printed examples on google already so you could try there.

There is a supercut of all the flying sequences on YT, so I'll try take a pop at this at the weekend, should be fun and give me new DLP 3D printer something to chew on. I'll let you know how it goes.

Let me know if you find any better reference too!

Hmmm... Cinefex didn't cover it and there doesn't seem a lot out there. Seems like a model was made for the production despite most of the FX being some early CGI. One of the models is still in the possession of the director space ship from flight of the navigator | Jean Barker's Sign Language Perhaps that might be considered studio scale if it was a filming miniature at all?

Also, these exist apparently
Flight of the Navigator AL Spaceship Model Morphed | eBay
Flight of the Navigator Trimaxion Drone Ship : pics

I don't have the Blu-ray. If you manage to get some grabs or anything useful that would help. I'm curious which version of the ship would be most wanted?

A little bit of Googling found this: Flight Of The Navigator Trimaxian Drone Ship studio model replica replica movie model

"This is a thick resin casting of the spaceship from "Flight of the Navigator".

This was cast by a Hollywood FX artist from a mold of the orignal Disney studio model that was constructed for the movie. It is thought that the original made-for-production studio model was not actually used (a CGI ship eventually taking it's place), but this has not been confirmed and a miniature may have been used in some scenes.
After cleaning up, filling and sanding, it was sprayed with automotive paint and waxed to a reflective shine."

Trimaxian Drone Ship - Flight of the Navigator

Perhaps this collector could be contacted?

I could get started in CAD but it doesn't feel like all research avenues have been exhausted yet.

I'd thought I'd make a start on this, still quite some way to go, more refinement. Yes, cheating, gonna 3D print it on my Milkshake printer. However, I also plan on having an option with the door open and the floaty steps. If I can make it light enough I might be able to run acrylic rod through the steps and up into the ship as the only support.

But then that would be right where people are looking and perhaps some fine wire would be best there and a larger chunk of acrylic in the centre to hold the bulk up. Not a simple decision.

Q0hrsf8.jpg

Wow! That looks amazing so far! Any chance of making the files available somehow, when you are done? I would love to print one myself.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back