Flexible alternatives to fiberglass resin?

elementsnstuff

Hello, everyone! I'm trying to make a shoe out of fiberglass, and it occurred to me that a rigid shoe would probably hurt to put on and walk around in. Therefore, is there any sort of flexible alternative to resin for shaping fiberglass? Would silicone work?

"Fibreglass resin" is what you would call any resin you would use with fibreglass. ;)

Polyester resin is only the most commonly used resin with fibreglass. The second common is epoxy. Some types of epoxy are more flexible and less brittle than polyester. But as long as you use fibreglass - which does not stretch when you pull it - the result will be rigid.
I would instead look at maybe casting the shoe out of some kind of rubber.

Problem is, I need something that can be sanded smooth after application. I can always smooth the inside with rubber or latex to make it wearable, but I'll never be able to actually put the prop on if it can't bend.
If I use less resin in the overall resin-fiberglass mixture, will the result be more flexible? I don't need it to stretch, just to bend.

Could try UreCoat (flexible urethane coating). It's what they put on fake branches for animals to play with in zoos or something like that..

They do make a flexible fiberglass resin. Not flexible like rubber but better than rigid.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back