Flash Gordon - Mongo Guard Sword - Help Needed..!

Martin-El

Sr Member
Hi Guys -

2015 is the 35th anniversary of Mike Hodges Flash Gordon.
There are unconfirmed reports of a cast reunion at November's London Film & Comic Con (in a similar vein to their upcoming BTTF reunion) which will be a personal dream to attend.

I'm in the process of making a Flash costume from the final third of the movie (the red & black tank with the beaded logo) which will be ready for the deadline but I'm REALLY struggling with what I think will be the prop to top it all off - the gold Mongo Guard Sword.

Mongul Guard Sword.jpg
I simply don't know the best way to attack this. I have in my possession a detailed 1:1 drawing as a reference but that is it. In a ideal world somebody would offer up a fibreglass cast of an original (I know some members here have them) but being such an expensive and iconic piece I don't blame them for not wanting to risk it.
Having said that, I'd pay handsomely if someone did offer lol.

I had considered a wooden blade and a printed hilt and circle detail but the grip is too big a piece. I don't want to just throw something together and have it look craptastic against a costume that will be meticulously made. I want to fully look the part so if anybody has any serious suggestions about how I could achieve this I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance..!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back