Flash Drive -Custom Sonic

Rassilon

Hi all you Sonic lovers.

Well have been at it again, :wacko and I think this may be a PRF first, but I’m not sure, but I'm sure it will be quickly pointed out to me.

Have mention on another thread that I was going to installed a flash drive into one of my Rassilon1 Custom Sonics, and I have, a 4GB flash drive to be more precise, and also has the flashing blue function light at the end when installing data, but as you can see the L.E.D is red, as I did not have a white L.E.D at the time, but it’s proof of concept, and that’s what I was looking for.

As this is a prototype it’s a little unrefined, but now that I have the basics on were, and how it all go’s together, I will make a start on the finished product, in the coming weeks.

The plug that I used at the end OF THE Rassilon1 custom Sonic was a mini DIN / S-VHS plug, this plug was almost made for the rassilon1 custom Sonic.

Last edited:
Re: Flash Drive Tennant Sonic

OK fellow sonic addicts, have installed the correct L.E.D white light, :confused so you can see the blue lens is now flashing on and off, but in the photo it’s just on. :confused

Not sure if this will be an upgrade to the Rassilon1 Custom Tennant Sonic kit, or it if it will be a stand alone new design sonic, :love may call it the RFD Mk II Sonic. Anyhow that will be something to think about next year. :cool

Its not an easy build, very fiddly, and it’s like trying to repair a watch with a hammer and chisel, one wrong move and you will never know the time again.

Have blown up 4 flash drive :cry trying to get the soldering part perfected, and not to mention it’s very time consuming build :angry.

Have constructed another Rassilon1 flash drive Sonic (RFD Sonic) for short, on this build have forgone the slider groove, and installed an 8GB flash drive, the RFD Sonic is a sealed unit, and by that I mean that, it can not be disassembled, there are no screws holding the front part of the sonic together, what holds the sonic together, for this I have used interference fits.

Interference fits are used when you don’t wont any movement in parts assemblies, or when you need parts to stay were they need to be, the disadvantage to having a sonic like this is that it can’t be repaired, should you drop it to many times. :cry

May look into doing a very small run, so PM me, if any members are interested. :cool

Attachments

• RFDS 2.jpg
    RFDS 2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 148
  • RFDS 4.jpg
    RFDS 4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

I created an 8GB Sonic flash driver over a year ago, but it's nowhere NEAR as cool as this one. I used the Character Options toy sonic and wired the LED to the drive. The LED burned out (and I had to disconnect the sound because it was annoying). The part I never figured out well was the cap. I couldn't get the cap to stay on.

The RFDS now comes with crackle finish, now that I have worked out how to apply it better.

I only made 10 units of this type of custom flash drive sonic, the original prototype is now in an acrylic display at home, I have been using one at work now for some time, which has an 8GB flask drive card installed.

Has been dropped onto a concrete floor, rolled of the desktop several time and still works just fine, not one of my biggest sellers, but still very interesting to have.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back