Fixing warped resin - need suggestions

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I went to start working on my Endor rifle to paint it. A few weeks back I made some little spring clamps to hold the parts while I painted them. Then I promptly forgot to remove one. So the part is all warped. I know you can use heat, but the Internet gives all kinds of contradicting opinions. The one that sounds like it might work for thicker parts like these is submerging it in hot or boiling water then gently bending it back to shape. I have a heat gun, but I think it only has "off" and "blow torch" settings, it's not variable temperature. Does the water thing sound like this will work or is there a better way. The pieces that are warped are maybe 1/8" thick if not a little less. I *think* if I can get it pliable enough I can use something flat to hold against it to flatten it back to shape.The top pic is what the part is.

1BhMnaH.jpg

fEhmRy8.jpg

fGrYLES.jpg

Hot water should work, not boiling.
Maybe even a hair dryer.

You want to heat, shape then place in cold water to freeze the shape.

these look like my casts?!
double the suggestion to use hot -not boiling- water, but a hot gun (low setting) works as well.

so you´re FINALLY proceeding with the Endor rifle, huh?! *LOL*

We use an oven to heat the part to about 150 degrees f. This will soften the urethane enough to flex it back. But make a block of wood or such to hold it in the correct position while it cools. My concern with boiling water is it absorbing the water, which some urethane will do.

Do Not Boil - that is too hot. heat gun, or hot (like coffee that is too hot to drink). I also agree that a block of wood or something to "clamp" to get the right shape is a good idea. also it does not take long. As soon as it cools to semi- room temp its done - un-clamp.

Jedi Dade

these look like my casts?!
double the suggestion to use hot -not boiling- water, but a hot gun (low setting) works as well.

so you´re FINALLY proceeding with the Endor rifle, huh?! *LOL*

Yeah... Figures I'd potentially ruin part of it before I actually get it painted. That's all it's waiting on.

Hopefully in the next day or two I can try to reshape it.

Hot water is a safer way to go. I've burnt and bubbled parts with a heat gun, especially if they are thick or have varying thickness. The hot water provides a safer way for the heat to soak through the piece without overheating the surface.

Not to say that a heat gun won't work - just that if it's a piece you care about, the water is safer.

I've also notice that urethane castings tend to want to return to their "as cast" position when warmed. So you may not have to manipulate it much.

Ive fixed a couple of helmets like this, I usually bump up my water heater a little and can get hot water from the faucet, run it over the area for a bit, apply pressure, and then cool it down with cold water. It takes patience but can be done. If not bondo always works.

Hot water worked! It's not perfect, but it will close up and you won't see any difference. Thanks! I don't know why, but I assumed it would have to be a lot hotter water to manipulate it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back