Fixing resin casting

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by thd9791, Apr 29, 2012.

1. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey everyone

I have a resin casting that is slightly squashed. How would I go about getting it a little closer to the normal shape? Sculpty? etc. not sure,

Thanks for any help!

2. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Hallow? Solid? How big and what is it a casting of? Do you know the resin used? Need more info. :)

3. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

pics would be a great help :)

4. ONEYE

ONEYE Sr Member

Do over?

5. thd9791

Ah I bought the casting from a fellow member here, it's solid, and bright white resin. Not sure much more than that

As for size, it's a casting of the frag Body of a MK1 III Grenade - I'm so sorry that was such a vague way to start a topic!

6. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

what is squashed? it looks like the hole is off center but im missing whats messed up?

7. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Once resin is cured, the only way to get it to reshape itself is to heat it up again (being plastic) and it will become soft and you can reshape it that way. As thick as that is, I bit if you heat it up you're going to really mess up the little nubs on the outside before the internal stuff softens to the point you can reshape the body.

8. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's hard to tell from the image, but as Ironfett said, it looks like the hole is just off center. If that's the case, why not just fill it in and drill out a new hole, centered?

-Nick

9. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's almost as if the mold was out of shape when it was cast. Half of it looks great, but the other half is more oval than round.

10. Fyberdyne Labs

Fyberdyne Labs Well-Known Member

Ok You can put it in a pot of hot or boiling water. You will have to reshape it by hand or gloved hand. You MUST be carful. Once the resin is solf it will distort easily. It does look as the hole is off center. That you could fill and then drill it center.
    Hope that helps.
    Mark

11. thd9791

haha, well guys Kevin was right, the bottom of the mold was oval in diameter, and the top was perfectly circular. I was honestly asking if anyone knew if I could add putty or something to the sides and make it a circle? I wasn't even thinking of re shaping it literally..

12. thd9791

I also love this cast, so i in no way want to destroy it or hurt it, thats why I was thinking just adding something to the sides and re-shaping it