Fix the snitch (harry potter)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by keelhauler, Sep 2, 2015.

1. keelhauler

keelhauler Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Disclaimer :)lol): I am going to ask what will probably seem like a silly question to most everyone on this forum, but i don't have any experience with painting or modelling, etc, so any advice or knowledge you'd care to bestow upon me would be greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased a golden brass snitch, but it has a spot that needs fixing. What would be the best way (materials, method) to fix this small area where there is no gold?

Many thanks!

IMG_56671.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Fix the snitch

Perhaps a little bit of gold leaf or Rub n Buff? It won't match perfectly, but it should blend in enough so it's not noticeable.

Is this one of those in the wooden box? I have one from long ago and they're supposed to be fairly limited/rare. I've noticed they've been popping up in larger numbers on eBay lately, so I wonder where they're all coming from.

3. keelhauler

Thanks for the input.

Yes, it's one of the Warner Bros ones. Not sure where they're all coming from all of a sudden.

4. keelhauler

is there a specific brand of either gold leaf or rub 'n buff that you'd recommend?

5. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've used the Mona Lisa gold leaf before and it worked OK. As for the Rub n Buff, just the actual Amaco brand stuff like this should work.

I can't say specifically which gold BnR color will match though, so you may have to get a couple of kinds to do some comparing. I see they have a number of golds available (including a "gold leaf" color)...

6. TomVDJ

TomVDJ Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like the area where the gold is gone, is pretty rough. I'd also go for some gold-leaf if I were you. I guess it will blend in nicely... Please post some pics when you're done!

7. bennygorilla

bennygorilla Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking at the picture, isn't it more the silver/chrome that is missing? Isn't this the snitch that is on a stand with silver wings?