Fitting parts together - Obi Saber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by thd9791, May 6, 2012.

1. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey everyone,

I had a question about graflex clamps and the rest - they are exactly 1.5 inches on the inside. The Grenade casting I have is about a millimeter or two less - not a snug fit at all. Is there something in between them? I can't tighten the clamp much further.

Also, 1 inch inside the emitter emitter and .5 inch pipe? are there rubber washers that size or something?

I haven't picked up a booster/old gear yet and I'm hoping that's a little closer hahaha any ideas?

2. Starsky

Starsky Member

I have a similar problem myself because I'm using a replica grenade and a salvaged MR clamp and they're both quite different in size. I was thinking of cutting up some rubber to fit and wrapping it around the grenade, something like a car mat.

3. thd9791

Found some 1.5 inch Sink Tubing that I was going to use as part of a spacer behind the clamp. That tubing takes care of a mm or two for the most part, still a little slippery though.

Maybe a dowel for an emitter spacer? Drill out for the grenade neck?

4. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe wrap the bottom of the grenade (that is hidden inside the clamp) in black tape to build up the area enough to close the gap?

5. Starsky

Starsky Member

Good idea Kevin, thanks for that input.

6. thd9791

Yea, GREAT idea, thank you!

7. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi there,

Just make certain when you start swinging and swooshing around with it that the clamp doesn't loose its grip on that wrapped grenade. Perhaps better to secure it more tightly.

-Chaim

8. Starsky

Starsky Member

I view my build as more of a display piece, although I won't be averse to the odd swoosh now and then (with SFX added of course) but with a dignified air about me, similar to how Obi-Wan wielded his saber in ANH.