Fish Tank from The Shape of Water

Rbotguy

I went to see this the other night and my wife really liked the movie, but I mostly came away thinking "I need to build that tank the creature arrives in!" There's not a lot of images of it on the net yet, but it's designed by Guy Davis (http://www.guydavisartworks.com/) and I've found enough to get designing. I plan to make a miniature, maybe a pencil holder or something:

OL0qmJG.png

It's been an exercise in learning the CAD program (OnShape) and I've got lots more to go before I can 3d print it, paint it, and put an acrylic tube in for the glass. So far I'm pretty happy with the result though.

Progress on day 2:

QMTsyXg.png

This is easily the most complicated thing I've ever drawn in CAD (by an order of magnitude probably) and I'm having a blast! Looks like it's going to be a 12 hour print or so, but I have a friend who may print it on his SLA printer for me. I'm going to scale it so the cylinder inside is 1.75" because that's what I have lying around at the moment.

Oh, here's the original (on display at the premier evidently...):
https://twitter.com/GuyDavisART/status/931244707191185409

The painting and weathering is going to be fun. Just need to find the right shade of 60's industrial green.

Last edited:
Love this project and My daughter and I have seen the film 4 times, just love the sets and colors it is fantastic here's a great image of the tank and the actor that played the creature!!
we'll be watching your build!! Have fun..
AL
Shape of water Tank.jpg

Thanks for the images, those definitely helped.

Another day of modeling and it's mostly there (shown with the end cap off):

4I1Oilv.png

And I decided to just throw it in Cura, slice it, and try printing it. It didn't come out too bad:

GX3Ij2x.jpg

There's a few more greebles to add, then I'll send it off to Shapeways to be SLS printed. I also picked up some Vallejo Foul Green because that looks like it should be a good color to start.

Last edited:
One more instagram post before the Oscars:

Attachments

• 28428797_150648498943997_4161987613797908480_n.jpg
    28428797_150648498943997_4161987613797908480_n.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 264
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back