First Time Sculpting

Biggdaddy

foot tutorial by By Studio-51 Jason and watched it and bought clay and started sculpting for the first time. Used two colors of clay so it maybe hard to make them out. Let me know what you think. I do have one question if anyone can answer it, do I need to silicone this or can I just put plaster on it like he did..

P2230022.JPG

P2230026.JPG

P2230025.JPG

P2230023.JPG

P2230024.JPG

in regards to silicone- are you going to make latex casts out of this? if so, then you don't need to worry about silicone. just a plaster mold is all you need.

always remember this------ soft casts=hard mold,......... hard casts=soft mold.

I want to echo what xdmray mentioned but add that if your planning on using actual plaster over an Ultracal/Hydracal then you may not get the same results. You'll be digging out the sculpture from your mold. Plaster is fairly brittle and porous too. Plaster doesn't like it rough.

Another thing to keep in mind since this is your fist go is that latex shrinks. I may suggest that you try a sculpt and casting on something flat for practice. Maybe like a cod piece or and emblem or something. That will tell you a lot when it come to your materials and it won't break your heart when the mold falls apart or something goes horribly wrong.

ahhh, when i say plaster i mean ultrcal or hydrocal. sorry for just saying plaster. i would never use plaster of paris for any mold bigger than a few inches.
it's ok for small stuff though.

one came out ok when I removed the clay and the other broke into pieces, will try again some other day....but thats life...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back