First Prop- DL-44, where to start?

The Night

hey all, im new to the prop world outside of lightsabers (i've done a few of those) and want to start off with a DL-44. so im seeking some advice from those of you who have been there done that with this prop.

first question is, what to use as a base? i know that the most widely used base is a denix replica. i would probly get one from blast tech if i went that route, but i've also found these
HFC Mauser C-96 C96 Metal Gas Airsoft - C96 Mauser Gas Airsoft - AirSplat.com - AirSoft Gun Warehouse
i feel like since they were made for use they would be a bit more heavy duty. the only thing i don't exactly like is the extended mag on it, but it'll be getting the whole deal with lights and sound (probly not by me) so it'd end up being covered with a speaker grill probly.

i also found this
Amazon.com: German Mauser C96 Display Pistol: Everything Else

ideally i would want to make it off a real c96 but thats a bit out of my price range ATM. maybe one day though. i want whatever i use as the base as close to the original c96 in detail and construction. what would you guys recommend?

Im also torn between the ANH style and the ESB style. i'm leaning towards ANH though.

I can say that I picked up a dirt-cheap spring-firing BB one from Amazon. It's NOT (despite the label) a proper C96, but it cost $12, is metal. There's a couple of decent tutorials about converting a plastic, innacurate Mauser to the ANH style which I'm following. The way I see it, it's a decent practice run, and will let me screw up when I cut and drill without feeling too bad about it. Once you know what the proceedure looks like and where you may have trouble, then move on to the Denix. $0.02...

Oh, and ANH ROCKS the DL44, particualrly the GK - THAT'S a good looking pew-pew gun.

The rare and expensive MGC-replicas are the closest available, even used for many of the screenused blasters.

Next in line, but not that close, is the more simplified Denix-replica - nice deal for the money.

Then anything cast or made up from one of the two above.

The softair Mausers are wrong, a much later model having the same basic shape, they are different in next to each detail. As using a Colt SAA Peacemaker instead of a Dragoon when reenacting a civil war cavalrist. Or as using a Anakin saber for Luke (or vice versa).

yeah. i think i may do ESB for my first cheaper go at it and then when i go full out do the ANH style. plus the ESB will go with my luke saber well.

do you know the manufacturere of the spring one?

The softair Mausers are wrong, a much later model having the same basic shape, they are different in next to each detail. As using a Colt SAA Peacemaker instead of a Dragoon when reenacting a civil war cavalrist. Or as using a Anakin saber for Luke (or vice versa).

Oh, absolutely, but for a first try at converting...with some mods that can be done to bring the thing more in line with the c96, and the fact that a lot of the wrong detail will end up covered by the scope mount on the GK, and the other side resting against your leg, or likely turned away when on display, hard to argue with twelve bucks for a first stab at the process before moving on to a Denix or similar.

The spring version I picked up was, I think, the CYMA, although I could be mistaken - mine doesn't have the removeable barrel, and does have only the extended mag. It's no longer offered apparently, but description was "Full Metal Airsoft Pistol Mauser C96 Style Full Scale 1/1 P712"
Doesn't make a huge amount of difference as all of the spring guns (metal and plastic) seem to be based on the later mauser tooling and will need the same mods to make it start to approach "right". If you look for the mod tutorials, I think they were for an ESB, but you can take the early steps to get the base gun looking better. Plastic looks easier to work with (you're going to need to do a bunch of cutting to get the switch off the left side), but metal feels better in a holster :)

i did an amazon search, i don't think they make that model anymore. the cheapest airsoft was running around 50-60 bucks. at that price i would just get a denix.

also, feel like a noob asking, but what is GK?

yeah. i think i may do ESB for my first cheaper go at it and then when i go full out do the ANH style. plus the ESB will go with my luke saber well.

And there's usually one or two ESB Denix conversion kits on eBay. The ESB and ROTJ blasters were actually built on Denix replicas, so your blaster would be pretty accurate right off the bat!

-Jonaas

...the ESB and ROTJ blasters were actually built on Denix replicas, so your blaster would be pretty accurate right off the bat!...

Nope ;)

Either they are based on a MGC or real, live firing C96´s.
None of the props seen on screen is based on a denix.

BUT I agree, that a denix would be your best choice to start into the world of blaster building. Lots of conversion parts out there (Check either evilbay for muzzles, mounts and resin scopes, try to find the needed stuff here in the JY OR do it like Jonaas and build everything from scratch :thumbsup).

Markus

i found one airsoft Mauser c96 model that is spring powered and all metal for 28 dollars that i will probably buy for my first build. i'll probly buy it friday after my paycheck comes in.

i got the gun in yesterday, unfortuneatly it isn't a full scale mauser. it's total lengths is about three inches short "/

i'm going to try and make it work though. it just wont be as easy

The short barrel wouldn't be a problem if you were making an ANH blaster as it would be replaced with the bull barrel...but since you're aiming for an ESB, I think you really should invest in a Denix. Maybe you should consider making the ANH version?

-Jonaas

I've got a really nice airsoft Mauser, not sure who made it at the moment, but it was about $140 and is all metal and gas powered. And it's not just some cheep metal, it's nice steel and is about the same weight as a real Mauser. I'm waiting to get the money to buy the blastech anh conversion pieces for it. If you want I can post pics of it and give you the brand tomorrow if it'll help anything.
It's a great gun, I've been playing airsoft with it about every weekend and it's great, and it's getting a little bit I natural weathering in the process!

i got the gun in yesterday, unfortuneatly it isn't a full scale mauser. it's total lengths is about three inches short "/

Galaxy G.12? Got the same one... It's tiny. It definitely won't work for me because all the parts I have already are scaled correctly, so it would look ridiculous! :lol

Definitely getting returned, and I'll be looking for a Denix

I'm waiting to get the money to buy the blastech anh conversion pieces for it.

Last I checked, Blast-Tech only had the grill available. I know Corellian Exports has a resin Hensoldt scope right now. As for the flash hider and scope mount, you can either make 'em yourself or wait until Deadbolt and kpax's run goes through.

-Jonaas

I just got the same one. Were you able to make a decent replica out of it? Any pics? I just want to see what I have to work with.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back