First Prop Build. The Holy Grail!

ChaseKiefer

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everybody.

I've been a reader on here for while and I finally got the tools, knowledge, and confidence to start my first prop build. I have chosen the holy grail from Last Crusade as my first prop because its simple yet iconic. I'll be making it out of wood on a wood lathe.

I'm going to be building the hero grail instead of the slightly wonky elsa grail. After doing a ton of research I found some dimensions of the hero grail and drew a sketch of it. Here are a couple of pics of my sketch (sorry for the large size) and the grail I'll be replicating.
001-5.jpg

grail-hd2.jpg

How does the drawing compare to the screencap? I'm not 100% confident on how I'll dig out the cup on the lathe, so any info will be much appreciated. If there is any interest in this prop I might make 5 of them to trade. Thanks for reading.

I just love design drawing concepts, I start my designs out the same way, by drawing them on paper, and then converting the design sketch into CAD 3D modelling, Oh make sure you post some pic’s of your work on the wood lathe, love action shots as well, that’s a good start on your holy grail project.

What type of wood will you be using for the Grail?

Maelstrom: Thanks for the video. I'm a little more confident now. I'll have to get a four jaw chuck for my lathe.

Rassilon1: I'll most definitively be putting pics up as I go along. For the wood I might use hickory or some other wood that is denser than most common woods.

I did a run of these when I first started as well mate. Way back when. I remember selling them for $70 usd a pop at the time. I think a few folk still have them. lol Looking forward to seeing how you do. Any help at all feel free to pm me. Also with the paintup. I think that was the best part.

Best
Taz

Thanks for the support.

So far I have everything I need to start (lathe, chisels) but I can't find any good quality wood that is 6x6. Everything I'm finding is cracked pine. My father (a tile layer) knows a carpenter that might be able to hook me up with the proper wood. So hopefully I can get started on this by the end of the week.

I created my block by gluing up several layers of wood.

Heres a pic showing the layers, altho I hand carved mine with a belt sander and a dremel
100_2642.jpg

Last edited:
If you want solid wood, look for turning blanks. You will probably need to go to a specialty store like Rockler, Woodworkers Source, or Woodcraft. Rockler and Woodcraft are national chains, and all three have websites.

Thanks for all of the support.

I think my best option on both money and time is to follow Idaho Jones' technique of glueing boards together to make my block. I'll have to pick this up as well as paint on my next trip to Lowes. Thanks again for all of the encouragement.

I've got good news and bad news.

Good news: I solved my wood problem. My father is good friends with a carpenter who is giving me some scrap African Mahogany! I'll have to get the wood in a couple of days. Needless to say these cups should turn out to be beautiful.

Bad news: I just did my first try at woodturning with some scrap oak. As I was working the motor began to overheat! Mind you that I borrowed the lathe from my grandfather who hadn't used the lathe yet and was not aware of any problems. So I'll have to replace the electric motor.

Although there are snags I'm still pursuing my goal.

I finally got the wood! :) The mahogany looks beautiful. I have my first block (which will make 3 cups) glued up and now I'm letting it dry.

I also got a replacement motor for my lathe. Though it has less horsepower it will work for my project.

I'll post some pics of the wood blocks tomorrow.

Hey everybody,

Didn't get a lot of progress done today since I spent most of the day at a Flea Market (I didn't find anything there). But I did cut my first 3 blocks. Tomorrow I'll run them through the table saw to get the proper width, and maybe start turning them. Here's a couple pics of the blocks and wood.

I finally got to turn the stems of the first 3 cups and finished shaping 1 cup! I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can get my sister to email them to me.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back