First post for VERY long build...

Okay, some experimentation.
Made a cardboard mockup of an arm in three sections, to fit myself. This will, I hope help me work out shapes etc, and make a secondary one when I've taken some measurements of the performer.
100_1517.jpg

100_1516.jpg

100_1520.jpg

...And begun the plasticine sculpt for the face plate. Still very small, needs much more clay on it:
557932_10150761302899122_780594121_11385310_732590126_n.jpg

That's all for tonight, more soon.

Hello hello hello mate, didnt know you were on here. Those are some epic concept sketches youve been doing. And I just saw your sculpt on Facebook. Glad to see that your still going to be building this up. After seeing you VOC I know this is going to come out good.

I'll be following this now closely, look forward to seeing some more. And if you need any help im just down the road.

Lewis

Hello Lewis and Nate,
Yeah, I'm still trying to get this made. Going the EVA route now as other methods involve too much money, mess and cash. Will document it here as I go along! :)

Wow, this is going to be awesome! I cannot wait to watch the progress-good and great luck with it!

Update April 3:
Taking some measurements from my model next week, and decided to try and work in mainly 10mm EVA. FOund a supplier (UK) who does 6' X 4' sheets for £19ish. NOt sure if that's a good price, but seems reasonable.

Spending today drawing up some shapes to transfer to cardboard for mocking up the upper arm. I can then take this (and the forearm I've already done) to try onto the model and her immensely long arms.

Once I get he permission, I'll post a photo up of her, so you can see just how tall and slender she is - she walks in any room and all eyes are on her! She'll make an impact, for sure!

okay, did a little buying and a little sculpting.
Here's the basic face shape in plasticine. Looks simplistic, and it's far from ready yet, but I'm trying to concentrate on smoothness and symmetry. Remember it's going to be vacformed over so ultra smoothness isn't crucial. But I can't finalise it until I measure the model's head to ensure it fits comfortably and the eyes line up etc:
100_1636.jpg

Buying wise, I ordered a sheet of 10mm EVA foam (6 feet x 4 feet) and some ZapAGap glue, and finally some plastic test tubes - why? Because they're perfect for cutting into sections and attaching to gloves so they'll be kinda like C3PO's hands!

Minor update - Zap-A-Gap arrived today: 2 bottles. One bottle was openi in transit, leaked everywhere. Argh! Seller posting a replacement out. Yay.
Tried glueing some 'camping mat' EVA - didn't work at all. I'm hoping the 'Horse Box' EVA will do better otherwise it's back to Hot Glue Gun.

My giant sheet of 10mm EVA arrived on Friday, at my office, so I'm going to see it on Tuesday and work out if I have enough. Should do. Then I have to get me a heat gun, and meet with my model lady and measure her up.

Oh, and I got the boots today -

heelzsohigh_141.jpg

Model lady says they might be a little high to walk in, but the price is so good, I bought em anyway. If she tells me they're uncomfortable, we'll go for flatter white boots. Not a biggie.

Okay, well I had a play with the 10mm EVA and some Zap A Gap, and it's brilliant. I didn't think it'd work, but I must remember the wise teachings of Master Skip, who knows his stuff!

I'm still trying to get my diary to sync up with Model lady to take some measurements, but while I'm waiting, I've ordered 2 sets of platic test tubes, that I can cut into sections and form plastic finger shells, which will go onto gloves, in a similar way to C3PO.

Well, Thank yo uRotwang (great name btw!) for the poke.
There is no 'real' news to report, bu tthe project is not yet abandoned.
I got sidetracked with getting my C3PO project sorted and some personal problems (a bad couple of months). Now I'm looking at it afresh.
I've still not decided on a plan of attack, be it sculpting, fibreglass or foam. But I've made some enquiries wit people as to how to get what I want.
My problem is that I don't have a workshop or place to work, and my budget is limited too. I do have some skill and enjoy thinking laterally to get around a problem though.

My tentative deadline is March 2013 - the date of a convention in Cardiff. So I am looking at ways to move ahead. I still think EVA will be best for the torso and limbs. And my extremely tall model is still willing to work on it. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back