First Pep -Daft Punk Thomas Helmet-

Duffenstien

Ive started to really get into prop making and costuming ever since i got into the 501st legion with my sandtrooper and ive seen things people make that i could never figure out how they did it until i watched them do it and got alot of advice from them and realized that its not impossible!

So for my first project i want to try my hand at pepakura and make a daft punk thomas bangalter helmet.

SO from what ive gathered for this i want to use 110lb card stock for the pep and possibly use hot glue for bonding.

if anyone has any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated!

ill keep pictures posted when i start the project.

Last edited:
Re: Beginner to prop making first project.

The hardest part in the whole process is sanding. Your gonna be sanding NON-STOP. So buying or acquiring a electrical sander will help out A LOT. And take your time when doing anything/everything. No need to rush.

Be careful with the hot glue. If you get any on you I think you have to wait until it cools before you can remove it.

You will probably make a mistake. It might be something minor you can fix or it might be something major and you will have to start over. It happens so do not give up. It will be worth it. I am making a Fallout 3 mini-nuke and I am working on try #4. I get farther every time. The trick is to learn from your accidents/mistakes.

Im also starting my first pep build. Currently making an Ironman helmet. Ive found its a marathon of a task for the mind, all the little cutouts and gluing gets the better of me after about 2-3 hours each time. But from what others have posted the end results are worth it. Did you got with hot glue? I found it gets pretty messy and awkward. am curious as to some other method people run with.

I'm currently working on my first builds Tribes:Ascend helmets and it's not to bad it's quite fun.

Yeah hot glue can get messy i found that it gets really stringy at times when i pull the gun away and there's all thin strands of glue it's like a spider web lol.

I'm on the bondo and sanding stage....it's going to take a while.

Good luck with your first build :)

I use hot glue on all my pep files. Hot glue is nice cause if it lays down wrong you can heat that area up with the hot tip of the gun pull it off and do it again. If your going to fiberglass and bondo then fiberglassing is my least favorite part and the one part I get the most questions about. Its simple really read the directions and put just a little more hardener than it says. Bondo; it sucks cause you have to sand so much but its my favorite part cause you start to see a smoother more finished project. After bondo I like to use Spot putty and primer to get all the little dents and holes that are left. Its easier to work with and its goes on smoother. I hope this helps at least a little. Check out Terra1's build its great for reference pics.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/stormtrooper-pepakura-first-cast-photographs-122443/
and here's the same build I did
http://www.therpf.com/f24/anh-trooper-build-135269/
Those are stormtrooper builds but they give a good step by step visualization

Last edited:

Be careful with the hot glue. If you get any on you I think you have to wait until it cools before you can remove it.

You will probably make a mistake. It might be something minor you can fix or it might be something major and you will have to start over. It happens so do not give up. It will be worth it. I am making a Fallout 3 mini-nuke and I am working on try #4. I get farther every time. The trick is to learn from your accidents/mistakes.
This. So much THIS.

I've messed up the sizing on several of the parts of my Halo armor, several times now. I just get back going and do it again.

I also recently started work on a Pep Thomas Helmet. the best advice I can give to you is to check the dimensions BEFORE you print off the pieces. I made the mistake of not doing this and ended up fully gluing together a helmet that makes me look like a bobble head and thus currently have three fully constructed pep helmets sitting in my room right now because of having to redo it.(it's three because the second time I dimensioned it wrong again. Third time was the charm though).

Here are some pics of the bondo i applied to it i could use some help on this one i cant seem to make it perfectly round because when i spread the bondo. it just creates more holes and spots...any advice?

oh well didnt think alot of ppl were following this but i guess i can give an update on it.
My original plans was to make a mold of this helmet but considering how "unrounded" the dome is i scraped the mold idea and i havent done much work on it besides a couple more bondo coats but what im going to do is just make a helmet out of it still. Just some life stuff came up and i havent really been working on anything.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back