First Lucas retires, now Expendables 2 PG-13!

I heard the PG13 idea had been scrapped and that they were going for the R raiting again. Fingers crossed!!!

They announced it like a month ago and Sly confirmed that expendables is indeed going to be rated R. Presumably after the backlash from the fans, the studio opted to switch back.

I mean I don't honestly believe there was a single person that went "Sweet! Expendables is PG-13!! Now I can take little billy to see it!"

Predator in Expendables 3? lol

502-1.jpg

If the movie is done right I don't care if it's PG-13 or not. You know on the DVD they would have an uncut or "R" version any way just like Die Hard 4 did.

Sean

I am with those that feel using profanity just for the sake of trying to sound tough or cool is a pretty bad idea, but curse words are a part of language and culture. For that reason I don't see why they need to be censored IF they are used in a suitable fashion. If you're dismembering human bodies with firearms and explosions in cascades of blood and limbs, how can a few syllables of sound do more "damage"?

I can't really understand why simply hearing words can cause such offense- they are just words after all. Which is more important, the actual word that is spoken or the intent that it is spoken with?

"I would like to see you, along with your wife and daughter brutally raped and throat-slit!"

or

"F-bomb you and your family!"

I certainly cringe more at the first line. Also, in many cases, modern profanity comes from words that were part of completely non-offensive everyday language a couple hundred years ago.

If I had kids I would certainly be teaching them to use more refined ways of expressing themselves than constant strings of curses but I wouldn't forbid them to use profanity if the situation really called for it. (I think writing "4 U" instead of "for you" is a thousand times more damaging to the preservation of civilized speech anyway.)

and somehow... "Yippie-kai-yay sucker" wouldn't really hit home... even with Bruce Willis saying it.

:thumbsup

Seriously, why isn't there more posts like the one I'm quoting?

Wow... no vulgar, That automatically makes this a bad film, because we all know that memorable scene in Star Wars when Han starts cussing out Obi Wan... Wait, that didn't happen? So I guess cussing isn't needed to make a good movie. :cool

its not so much the vulgarity....the violence will be subdued. its expandables...they cut people in half with an AA12 shotgun. it was extreme because the team was extreme. pg-13 means less of everything.

i could careless if they swear, curse, spit....but you are going to lose the speedy knife kills and stalone hip firing and knocking 30 people with his six shooter. it was over the top killing...that doesn't come with PG-13.

sorry if i didn't read the other 3 pages first.

I am with those that feel using profanity just for the sake of trying to sound tough or cool is a pretty bad idea, but curse words are a part of language and culture. For that reason I don't see why they need to be censored IF they are used in a suitable fashion. If you're dismembering human bodies with firearms and explosions in cascades of blood and limbs, how can a few syllables of sound do more "damage"?

I can't really understand why simply hearing words can cause such offense- they are just words after all. Which is more important, the actual word that is spoken or the intent that it is spoken with?

"I would like to see you, along with your wife and daughter brutally raped and throat-slit!"

or

"F-bomb you and your family!"

I certainly cringe more at the first line. Also, in many cases, modern profanity comes from words that were part of completely non-offensive everyday language a couple hundred years ago.

If I had kids I would certainly be teaching them to use more refined ways of expressing themselves than constant strings of curses but I wouldn't forbid them to use profanity if the situation really called for it. (I think writing "4 U" instead of "for you" is a thousand times more damaging to the preservation of civilized speech anyway.)

and somehow... "Yippie-kai-yay sucker" wouldn't really hit home... even with Bruce Willis saying it.

i agree...funny thing is i've had this convo with my wife. trying to tell her there are better ways to speak than just cursing. we are more refined than that. but i digress....

cursing for cursing sake is stupid. a movie that is just cursing is also stupid. but as you pointed out there are lines that need a little more dramatic flair....cuz "Yippie-kai-yay sucker" is an epic fail.

there is a time and a place for it.

I want to see this movie, I want to see the violence and be shocked. Thats all lol. I dont want to think I want to fry out for 2 hours on ultraviolence and Statham beating the **** out of people. If I wanted anything other than that I'll watch power rangers.

I'm actually more offended at profanity than I am violence, as long as the violence (or movie) isn't used to justify something like the abuse of women or children or something, but because that's exactly the point excessive profanity, to try and offend someone. I just see it as a very manipulative and exploitative tactic like gratuitous nudity.

This isn't 1974 when your only opportunity to see / hear anything like that was either a drive in or a seedy xxx theater. just entertain me and leave the locker room language out of it.

I know that puts me in the minority, but whatever.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back