First ever "sculpt".....1/6

Predator380

Hi guys.

Couldn't find a 1/6 head for my Hot Toys bodies I either
i. liked, or was near enough to the design i wanted for the custom pred i'm working on
ii. could afford

so....I'm trying to sculpt my own to use.

First ever attempt at sculpting a predator, and is rather tricky at this scale and doing it from scratch.

This is what I have so far-

029.jpg

I'm going for a berserker shaped head, but will be very reptilian in looks.
The concept for this pred will be one my partner suggested- which is basing the predator off an animal she loves- after much deliberation she settled on a water dragon.

I've already painted the body up in the colours I thought best resembled that of my many, many images of water dragons. Have also sculpted scales and such on the WIP head.....and will post pictures as I progress.

Let me know what you think!

Some progress to show regarding this-

Have got the general shape of the head down, and done a little brow detailing. Have also finished painting the body up. Head hasn't been finished yet- just hung it there to give a rough idea of what i'm going for.
IMG_8967.jpg

IMG_8973.jpg

IMG_8969.jpg

IMG_8968.jpg

IMG_8970.jpg

What do you think of the name "Wild Predator" or "Scale Predator"?

Getting some pretty harsh reaction to this from posters in sideshowcollectors. Starting to lose a lot of enthusiasm for this....

Honestly, I thought it wasn't *that bad...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm restarting this head, and will repost when I improve. FYI, i'm 25 and have never sculpted before in my life.
I thought it wasn't too bad, but obviously my opinion of what looks alright and what doesn't varies.

Have deleted my thread on sideshowcollectors and will just post here where I can get feedback from lair members only ^^

I haven't read the comments, but **** all that negativity. No it's not the greatest thing, it looks totally beginner, but who cares, no one is magically a master from the start. Just keep working at it and ignore the ass holes and the negativity, you will get better with practice. :p

Even though the head isn't... "perfect" keep on keeping on with your progress and you will be able to sculpt the whole thing one day.

Hi there I'm proud of people like you, your creating what you want and did not just dream about it. Don't stop believing your on your way=)

Hey man, Those who respond with negativity usually do so because they have nothing to show for themselves. They fear what they cannot understand or duplicate, so they attack it. I got the same negativity from the same place, yet recieved encouragement and positive feedback here. Don't let anyone discourage you man, as with anything in life, you WILL improve with mileage, so stick with it.
PEACE.

Hey man, Those who respond with negativity usually do so because they have nothing to show for themselves. They fear what they cannot understand or duplicate, so they attack it. I got the same negativity from the same place, yet recieved encouragement and positive feedback here. Don't let anyone discourage you man, as with anything in life, you WILL improve with mileage, so stick with it.
PEACE.
Er... In my book, when somebody tells me how to make things even better, it's called constructive feedback. But I get the impression any feedback but good feedback isn't wanted here. Sadly.

That being said, this IS a first sculpt, and I like it. Over time you get better and better, so keep working that sculpts! ;)

I disagree only because i read what sideshow freaks people wrote when he posted it there and it was flat out uncool.It was based off that negative feedback there and here i love the spirit everyone has here.Everyone is super cool and hopes the best, on the other end he took it well.But i cant stress the research to do something like what Liffy has done.

Thank you everyone for all the kind comments.
I am working on refining my technique and hopefully will post within the next few days with what I hope you will agree is a much improved attempt in sculpting ^^

I myself have tried to sculpt a PREDATOR head in the past... it is a difficult task. As long as you get all the shapes, and the basic structure of a PRED head you should be able to start whipping them out left and right in the future. Keep it up man.

Thank you everyone for all the kind comments.
I am working on refining my technique and hopefully will post within the next few days with what I hope you will agree is a much improved attempt in sculpting ^^
Even if it takes years to refine, don't sweat it, it all comes down to whether you like to sculpt or not. Hobbies are fun, not duty. Keep working that thing and perhaps retry it several times and in between sculpt something different, other creatures, just for practice.

Take your time man, you have talent no matter what they say. Pick up some books on sculpting and texturing, just for the heck of it, and learn with each push :)

Even if it takes years to refine, don't sweat it, it all comes down to whether you like to sculpt or not. Hobbies are fun, not duty. Keep working that thing and perhaps retry it several times and in between sculpt something different, other creatures, just for practice.

Take your time man, you have talent no matter what they say. Pick up some books on sculpting and texturing, just for the heck of it, and learn with each push :)
That's a good point too.Its got to be fun to do or you may not like doing it.I probably spend 10 hours a week here and there working with clay and the time flies by.I read from an advanced member to sculpt large at first and go with basic standing designs.Or maybe a easy off subject project would be good too.Try Sculpey firm you may like it, i won't use anything else now a days.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back