First Clay Sculpture Tips, And Advice Wanted

Sythous

Hey guys this is my very first sculpture of a predator head looking for tips before i start messing with it to much, any advice would be very helpful.

1635.jpg

1636.jpg

1621.jpg

Thanks Predwolf.

Added more to the jaw lines and redone the mouth along with carving out the insides to free up space and I have an idea of how I want to make this sculpture look. Only thing I want now is to find a compound that I can coat on this like latex, but more flexable and fill up in the inside so i have a model that I can go by anyone have any idea's.

077.jpg

078.jpg

081.jpg

As for tips, honestly just check out some mask sculpt threads. Usurper has a thread on his P2 closed mouth sculpt. He posted it as a journey and it shows the mask/sculpt progressing from step to step.

http://www.thehunterslair.com/topic/22047-p2-closed-mouth-build-sculpt-finished-p17-180911/

Yeah alot to review that is for sure helped me out alot see how the dreads are made in the back of the model brought me along more than i though, I will update photo's soon I bought some more clay and will add on to the neck and back head area but next post I will have pics with the new updated look.

O thanks again munson.

Did some touch ups on my spikes i added to the head still a ways to go, but with the clay on its way should have a finished face in 3 weeks.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

finished up on my neck and added some new featurs to the face also changed my mandibles to 6 total down from 8 did not want to over due the mask and lose its good quality I have to say does not look like your average predator so far i think I will a hybrid, going to change some more minor things and i will update some more pics before I latex this week. All in all everyone that has helped me with great advice ty could not of made it as far as i have in this short amount of time.

Before I start my cast I have 1 last thing I want to add looking for idea's on skin design not sure on what I want it to look like but if anyone has any suggestions I am open for them, but here are a few pics for yall to see since its last construction.

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

Niiiiiiiice, that thing looks awesome. Nice attention to detail in there. That looks mean.... good job, look forward to seeing this thing moulded and casted.

Its sad Its been a while now I am ready to go through with plastering my sculpt, but it is so hard to part ways with my creation I am not going to lose it by making a mould, but its just hard to part ways with the sculpt I guess do any of you find it hard to part ways with your sculpts when you are done. I can say for sure I am pround of its design and wish to make no changes I just cannot seem to part ways with it and begin plastering, I guess I shall do it when i am ready I tried last weekend to mould it but could not do it wasting about 10$ on a 25lbs bag of it does not make me feel bad at all but in sense that I was going to cover my sculpt and never see its beauty from a sculpt view was truely terrible feeling at least I can say once I do go through with it I can make a plaster replica of it so i can always admire my work and effort i put in my first sculpt. There is only one last update I will post on the neck.

These are final snap shots of neck was going to go with a alligator skin but figured i do it on my elder skin for the hybrid. But alas as i sad before not ready to part with the sculpt so for now will enjoy its view from afar and near. I hope I have inspired others like myself that are new here and have shown you anyone can pick up a 25 lbs of clay and sculpt a hunter just get idea's and thought right and go for it as I have done and you will make it happen it has truely been a great adventure for me and I hope for many more like it. But if your stuck on something send a mail or ask for help from someone on this site everyone that I have talked to has been great help on advice and you all have my thanks I have come far and the journey is far from over and I shall enjoy all of it.

Feel free to ask anything and I will respond as quickly as I can tips or just a question I am hear to answer.

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

Very nice work! I've just put up a thread showing my first attempt at sculpinga head to make a mask from, I really like yours!

Question: What Material are you using? Is that Monster clay? ( The oil- Based Clay ) I can only find one company who sells it in australia and it's $50 for 5 Lbs.. Wondering what you're using and if there are other options.. I'm currently using Water based Clay.. And having issues lol It's difficult to work as it is hard to keep at the right moisture level..

Thanks for posting! hope i hear back from you!

I use monster clay I like it the most by far stays firm when I am done with it and if I want to make changes to it its real easy a 5lb block of monster clay is $23.75, and never dries out the best parts of it is you can melt it down to a liquid for any number of uses and in the end it will firm back to its original state. But yes I wnet to monstermakers.com and bought the amount I need which was 25 lbs or pds here is the link http://www.monstermakers.com/product/monster-clay-premium-grade-html

Very nice work! I've just put up a thread showing my first attempt at sculpinga head to make a mask from, I really like yours!

Question: What Material are you using? Is that Monster clay? ( The oil- Based Clay ) I can only find one company who sells it in australia and it's $50 for 5 Lbs.. Wondering what you're using and if there are other options.. I'm currently using Water based Clay.. And having issues lol It's difficult to work as it is hard to keep at the right moisture level..

Thanks for posting! hope i hear back from you!
I use monster clay I like it the most by far stays firm when I am done with it and if I want to make changes to it its real easy a 5lb block of monster clay is $23.75, and never dries out the best parts of it is you can melt it down to a liquid for any number of uses and in the end it will firm back to its original state. But yes I wnet to monstermakers.com and bought the amount I need which was 25 lbs or pds here is the link http://www.monsterma...mium-grade-html

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a while since I last posted finally started molding my sculpt no pic's yet camera not connecting to computer atm so all I can really say is so far I have 3 coats of plaster on its just started touching bottom jaw and is hold nicely no air bubbles how ever there is 1 crack i am concerned about when I get pics updated I will post them. Just wanted to give an update and say finally started I will miss the clay sculpt but time to hop to it and get the head done.

Unless your terminology is wrong, it sounds like you might be approaching your mold the wrong way. Number one, I would recommend using a cement, like Ultracal 30, or a stone, like Dental Stone. Number two, multiple coats without something strong like burlap to reinforce them, is useless and just add weight. does not mater how thick an unreinforced mold is, it can still crack in half easily. Number 3, each new addition to the mold should be applied before the previous layer has started its curing heat cycle. Any deviation from these methods leads to a mold that can easily break.

Ahh did not know that well I have enough ultra cal to do it over, ehh I will continue just for the heck of it thanks for the heads up, learned something new I should of asked about in the first place before I started. O well it has been a thrill to make it this far if it falls apart do to something I did careless it will only make my desire for it great and will make me do better on the next scult. still trying to upload pics but camera not being very supportive.

The casting is done finally not to much trouble with it a few cracks but nothing beyond repair so
even though I applied the casting wrong it still came out great I will post pics on a different thread some reason
This thread has reached it's Max for pics but I plan to latex this weekend.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back