First Build: Iron Man Mark VI Aluminum Foam Build

arias

Hey what's up everyone. This is my first build. However I've been following lots of people's builds and progress. I decided to do the best of both worlds. Using foam template from Robo (thanks a lot bro) and using aluminum sheet met allows me to have the light durabity of foam but keep a hard exterior of fibreglass. I'm almost finished my suit. Just have to finish the right high and shin and redo the left thigh. And a little mods on the helmet. Top is too flat. Let me know what you think. And thanks to everyone your great ideas that helpede
In my build.

Heres pics of the back and chest piece. I added hinges to the back for the flaps. But ended up gluing it shut until i figure out how to automate them.

Oh yeah!! a another aluminium iron man suit, that's looks beautiful!
check my aluminium iron man suit
Lco1o.jpg

Wow... you did great arias...:thumbsup

It's really amazing when people think out of the box...:)
You have chosen a very good mix of materials... I dont even worry that you will cut yourself while trying to suit up...

I'm sure its still light and comfy to wear.
If you have chosen to build an MKII, you could have save on paint... lol:lol
Still I can imagine how your painted suit will look like... perfect!

Kudos to you man... keep it up (y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

Cant wait to see you fully suited up

cheers!

Looks nice! I couldn't tell from the photos: how'd you attach it all together?

Same method as the foam suit, the aluminum is hot glued on to the foam and then adjoined to corresponding pieces with hot glue as well. I still have to clean up my pieces and remove excess glue :unsure

Oh yeah!! a another aluminium iron man suit, that's looks beautiful!
check my aluminium iron man suit
Lco1o.jpg

Hey whats up Lilido. Yeah ive seen your progress builds. Very nice work. I wanted to try and stay as close and accurate to the suit as possible so i thought of using the templates for aluminum. And gluing aluminum onto the foam you get added durability and protection inside. However id hate to be the one walking through a crowd and being grazed by someone wearing an aluminum suit. Has some pretty sharp edges. Not very practical for parties.

Ive added 3 more pics. Finished torso and arms with chicago screws for the joints. Sorry i couldnt rotate the first 2 :facepalm The suit is very light its able to hand on a wooden coat hanger. I had the pieces taped onto each other but because the aluminum is sharp overtime it started cutting the tape and the pieces would just fall off. Lucky me i was sleeping at night and thought monsters were tryna get me :cry Ill add some more pics tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback :) its a shame to paint the suit. It looks do nice in its original chrome aluminum. But guess I'm using automotive spray paint. Think I found the red I'm using but still haven't found a proper match for the gold. And silver will remain unpainted.

That's amazing! One of these days I'd like to get around to finishing the IM build I started a while ago :( Seeing all these cool ones coming into shape around here definitely gets me in the mood to do so!

Whats up everyone, added some more pics. Iron Man Helmet is Sharkmans foam helmet file scaled to 90%. Tried putting on the helmet and its way to tight. and thats without a faceplate hinge and any other electronics. So redoing it at 95% scale also the top of the head has to be redone as it came out too flat. Also need to add the unibrow piece on the faceplate, I tried modifying the file after printing it out so that there are no unnecessary cuts into the faceplate and other areas for a clean look. Finished the pair of gauntlets. Fingers held together by hanging picture wire. Gives it strength to stand up on its own and still flexible enough to bend. Might use Guitar strings next time around as i saw someone do that.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back