First Build: Iron Man Mark VI Aluminum Foam Build

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by arias, Mar 26, 2012.

1. arias

arias New Member

Hey what's up everyone. This is my first build. However I've been following lots of people's builds and progress. I decided to do the best of both worlds. Using foam template from Robo (thanks a lot bro) and using aluminum sheet met allows me to have the light durabity of foam but keep a hard exterior of fibreglass. I'm almost finished my suit. Just have to finish the right high and shin and redo the left thigh. And a little mods on the helmet. Top is too flat. Let me know what you think. And thanks to everyone your great ideas that helpede
    In my build.

2. arias

arias New Member

Umm . . . How do you upload pics from an iPhone?

3. arias

arias New Member

Heres pics of the back and chest piece. I added hinges to the back for the flaps. But ended up gluing it shut until i figure out how to automate them.

4. arias

arias New Member

Heres the left arm partially done. Ill upload more pics later. :cool

5. Lildo

Lildo Active Member

Oh yeah!! a another aluminium iron man suit, that's looks beautiful!
    check my aluminium iron man suit
    [​IMG]

6. G33k

G33k Member

Looks nice! I couldn't tell from the photos: how'd you attach it all together?

7. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

Wow... you did great arias...:thumbsup

It's really amazing when people think out of the box...:)
    You have chosen a very good mix of materials... I dont even worry that you will cut yourself while trying to suit up...

I'm sure its still light and comfy to wear.
    If you have chosen to build an MKII, you could have save on paint... lol:lol
    Still I can imagine how your painted suit will look like... perfect!

Kudos to you man... keep it up (y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

Cant wait to see you fully suited up

cheers!

8. arias

arias New Member

Same method as the foam suit, the aluminum is hot glued on to the foam and then adjoined to corresponding pieces with hot glue as well. I still have to clean up my pieces and remove excess glue :unsure

9. arias

arias New Member

Hey whats up Lilido. Yeah ive seen your progress builds. Very nice work. I wanted to try and stay as close and accurate to the suit as possible so i thought of using the templates for aluminum. And gluing aluminum onto the foam you get added durability and protection inside. However id hate to be the one walking through a crowd and being grazed by someone wearing an aluminum suit. Has some pretty sharp edges. Not very practical for parties.

10. arias

arias New Member

Ive added 3 more pics. Finished torso and arms with chicago screws for the joints. Sorry i couldnt rotate the first 2 :facepalm The suit is very light its able to hand on a wooden coat hanger. I had the pieces taped onto each other but because the aluminum is sharp overtime it started cutting the tape and the pieces would just fall off. Lucky me i was sleeping at night and thought monsters were tryna get me :cry Ill add some more pics tomorrow.

11. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

WOW!!! I am so very impressed! Very well done so far....

12. inventorj

inventorj New Member

That looks awesome. How do you plan on painting the suit

13. arias

arias New Member

Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback :) its a shame to paint the suit. It looks do nice in its original chrome aluminum. But guess I'm using automotive spray paint. Think I found the red I'm using but still haven't found a proper match for the gold. And silver will remain unpainted.

14. cleanermc

cleanermc New Member

Very very nice build. How thick is the aluminium sheet??? Cant wait to see you in the complete Suit.

15. CinnamonB

CinnamonB Well-Known Member

This entire concept is so amazing. Every year Iron Man suits get taken to the next level.

16. spiderfan11

spiderfan11 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's amazing! One of these days I'd like to get around to finishing the IM build I started a while ago :( Seeing all these cool ones coming into shape around here definitely gets me in the mood to do so!

17. rustysprattdesigns

rustysprattdesigns Well-Known Member

This looks amazing! I would almost go for a prototype look of the MK. VI, like the Mk.II. Great stuff. (y)thumbsup

18. arias

arias New Member

Whats up everyone, added some more pics. Iron Man Helmet is Sharkmans foam helmet file scaled to 90%. Tried putting on the helmet and its way to tight. and thats without a faceplate hinge and any other electronics. So redoing it at 95% scale also the top of the head has to be redone as it came out too flat. Also need to add the unibrow piece on the faceplate, I tried modifying the file after printing it out so that there are no unnecessary cuts into the faceplate and other areas for a clean look. Finished the pair of gauntlets. Fingers held together by hanging picture wire. Gives it strength to stand up on its own and still flexible enough to bend. Might use Guitar strings next time around as i saw someone do that.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  19. jackieisrockin

jackieisrockin Well-Known Member

Dude that looks awesome. With paint on it itll look craaaazy!

20. Crusaderman2004

Crusaderman2004 Active Member

Dang...nice build. I don't normally comment on the Iron Man builds (there's a lot of them), but this one is just freaking cool. Nice work!

21. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

holy crap thats a sweet build, how much will it cost you for all the metal?

22. Bugs

Bugs New Member

This looks awesome dude, can't wait to see it all finished

23. pwrofbauer

pwrofbauer Active Member

Looks great! I'd be worried about sharp edges still even w/ the foam, unless somehow you're folding them over?

24. arias

arias New Member

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Materials dont cost too much, maybe around $300. Takes a lot of time though. Some fibreglass suits are cast out of molds and are much faster to make but all these pieces are cut by hand. And some edges are a bit sharp, not sure if i should try and add resin or putty to corners and edges, cause it will take away from its appeal. I havent got much work done. But i took a pic of me suited up with what i have finished. Currently doing right shin. Then right thigh and im done. But im going to redo many parts for less pieces and a bigger helmet.

25. arias

arias New Member

So this is what i have done so far. I misplaced my right hip pod somewhere though. i have light installed in my gauntlets but still need my chest rt and eyes lit as well as a hinge or servo system if i can get one cheap. Right now the helmet is waaaay to tight, so i left the faceplate up to put it on. Anyone know a good metallic automotive spray paint for the red and gold? Ive already spent over $150 on different red and golds as trial and error. Anyone interested in trading suits or one of my helmets for a fibreglass one?

26. arias

arias New Member

This is me in my helmet :) sharkmans foam helmet scaled at 90%. Going to redo the helmet at 95% and use smaller foamies. I used eva foam for this helmet which explains my ears being squished lol

Attached Files:

27. arias

arias New Member

I havent put any updated for a while. But this is my finished Iron Man Mark VI suit. Made completely of Aluminum Sheet Metal and EVA foam underneath. I still have some few upgrades to do but these pics are all of me wearing my suit on Fri, May 4th opening day of the Avengers in downtown Toronto at the Scotia Bank Theatre. Let me know what you think.

Currently working on a War Machine and making a Mark II for a friend (unpainted).

redcar40 likes this.
  28. JaseKam

JaseKam New Member

thats very impressive! Great aluminum work!

29. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

That is the coolest iron man suit I've ever seen. Amazing work dude!

30. omel

omel Well-Known Member

WOW! amazing work bro...amazing!!

31. venator

venator Member

I'm stunned :D

32. Spidey74

Spidey74 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing work man!

33. bak9799

bak9799 Well-Known Member

Well Done!!!!!!! Looks awesome.

34. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

Not sure how I missed this during my many Iron Man searches. Great job! I saw it asked earlier, but never saw an answer... what's the thickness on the aluminum?

35. Bradester

Bradester Active Member

So cool! How did it hold up after being worn?

And what material are the eyes made from?

36. Roc74

Roc74 New Member

Nice build, what paint /color did you end up using? looks very good.

37. jamesrickards

jamesrickards Member

WOW!

I cant think how long that took to make!

such a 'Classic' great work :)

100 kudos to you!

38. msldkdk

msldkdk New Member

I definitely wouldn't mind spending a couple of hundred dollars on materials for this type of Iron Man suit, if only I knew and had experience enough to build it.
    Looks really good, beats any kind of plasic suits out there, this is as close to the real deal as it can get.

39. madrick

madrick Active Member

You built everyones dream suit! haha an ironman suit out of aluminium! Great job man, love it.

40. freezen2001

freezen2001 New Member

it really came to life once you painted it! one of the coolest IM buids i've seen! Love the pic of you behind the bar! thats where tony stark would be right?

41. SampleName

SampleName Well-Known Member

I really like how this turned out! It looks great!

42. DarkJedi1500

DarkJedi1500 Well-Known Member

Why was the girl dressed as a Nav'i at the avengers priemer?

43. arias

arias New Member

Thanks for all the compliments :)

I really think making the suit out of aluminum and Eva foam is the best way. I've seen fibreglass suits, foam suits and someone make a suit of aluminum as well. But using the templates and cutting then out of aluminum (1/8" thick") and Eva foam makes the suit light weight and strong enough to not tear.

So thanks to anyone who had any part in making the pepakura templates available and making them foam friendly.

The paint I used was automotive duplicolor paint. And I used a white mesh for the eyes to give me full visibility.

I still need to make knee and elbow cover and some tweaks here and there. I just finished my arc reactor today so I need to work on LEDs for the eyes that won't diminish visibility.

Working on a War Machine now and a Mark II which will remain unpainted for a friend.

As for the avatar girl they were promoting right outside the theatre. Maybe a sequel coming out?

44. arias

arias New Member

There is some scraping between the parts. And since it is aluminum the paint scraped off on those parts. Mostly in the joints. but nothing too noticeable. Actually gives it a nice slightly battle damaged look.

45. Blackdynamo2

Blackdynamo2 Well-Known Member

My hats off to you! Great job, "good concept" Keep Building!!!!

46. soto1122

soto1122 New Member

hello mate i have one questions how thick is the aluminium u use???

47. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

Pretty sure this is what you need... ;)

48. soto1122

soto1122 New Member

hello mate i know u make it in an scale of 95% of the original molds i have a question how tall are u? u make all the pieces 95% or did u need to make any bigger or smaller?

49. arias

arias New Member

Everything is standard scale except for the helmet that was scaled down to 95%. Not sure if it's cause the default scale is too big or I have a smaller head. I'm 6'1", 32" waist about 160lbs. And Everything fits perfect.

50. arias

arias New Member

Yayyyy Iron Man :)

Currently working on a Mark II for a friend and a War Machine. Also finished a Dr. Doom Mask