First build in over a decade: 1:48 Bf 109E-4

Reelo

Sr Member
Hey people. Having been an avid model-builder during my childhood/early teens, proof of which has long since bezn lost unfortunatey, I've recently picked up interest in that hobby again. During my later teens I've picked up a lot of skills and knowledge which should be helpful now (things like sanding/filing, washing, shading, drybrushing) thanks to miniature wargames like Warhammer.
So, after what feels like almost two decades I've ordered an 1:48 kit of a Me Bf 109E-4 by eduard (weekend edition, which means no photo-etch parts) and bought the eight colors. I've started building and painting this weekend and thought I'd share my progress with you. I'm in no real hurry to finish, I just want the model something to be proud of and display when it's done. Here's the cockpit in nice RLM 2 grey. Not very detailed (yet) but so far I'm happy with how it turns out... C&C welcome.

ame5eje6.jpg

yguve6e9.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Thats nice, realy its a shame you hadnt got the photo etch resin parts etc cos it takes the models a little bit further, unfortuately it also takes the wallet and cost in the same direction to!
:)

Yeah, I know. Maybe I'll get the same bird in 1:32 with PE parts next. I wanted to get the "juices flowing" again first before I tackle a more expensive kit with a possible better end-result. Maybe, just maybe, if I can find a decent cheap compressor, I'll try my luck with an airbrush as well...

Looks good so far. I just finally started a kit myself for the first time in a while. I bought all those ones a year or so ago and never did anything with them. I wish i had the detailing skills you do when it comes to dry brushing and such.

Drybrushing is actually pretty easy, you just need to make sure your brush is DRY!

Looks really good for your first build up in over a decade! Doesn't look like you missed a beat in the time between builds.

The cockpit looks detailed enough even without some of the PE parts. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this one done.

Progress... (Not too happy with the glue where body and wings join) :(
a6u6e6uh.jpg
hurebyha.jpg
e7apeper.jpg
era8azys.jpg

The spot where body and wings join always have something either wrong to start with or go wrong no matter what. I kind of wish companies would make the opening smaller so you could shave it down a hair a time yourself to get a good fit. It would make filling it with putty easier.

Ok, so my first kit didn't quite turn out so well. So I bought a new one, by Tamiya, which is... less complicated. I tried a lot of techniques I disn't know before, like using aftermarket decals, photo-etched seatbelts, scratchbuilding brakes on the landing-gear, weathering using oil-colors and turpentine, using pigments for stains, and using fishing-line for an accurate radio-antenna.

The plane represented is a Bf 109E-3 of 1st Lt. Werner Lederer, Squadron Commander of 6. / JG 52 as stationed in Sandweiler (very close from where I live) at the end of May 1940 prior to the invasion of France.

Hope you like it. As always, comments and critique encouraged...

uploadfromtaptalk1391771106976.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391771120139.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391771131635.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391771142203.jpg

Looks good and you did a great job on the tamiya kit! Besides Sci-Fi I am an avid 1/48 WWII aircraft modeler and really like how yours turned out!

Thanks. Here's another beauty-shot. I darkened the exhaust stains with ground charcoal a bit to make it look more realistic...
uploadfromtaptalk1392211423827.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back