First Build DONE! Luke ESB Replica Graflex

scottjua

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, its done... my first build.

So this build started when I got a replica Graflex off of ebay that came with more than I had thought: HELP: What do I have here? Ebay Replica has soundboard in it???

While this was a fairly screen accurate prop, I started making it a light up working saber and I quickly immersed myself into the whole build and trying to read as much as I could to learn. I decided I wanted to build this since I already had some of the parts, but tried to go with a hyperdyne board with various setups that never worked well. Fast forward to getting a Petit Crouton, and some more parts from LDM and I had a working saber. Except I was never happy with the generic way the insides were just really hanging out inside. I wanted a chassis that made it easy to take the batteries in and out and started trying different brass rod, and disks chassis ideas. I went through a few variations, and none of them were really working as I wanted. Also taking out the 14500s to charge was getting tedious, so I decided I wanted a solid solution that could be easily taken apart if needed for repairs, and also a recharge port.

So I dove into figuring out a way to have a PVC chassis, that eliminated the possibility of shorting something out, and was easy to disassemble if needed, but strong for actually really playing with the saber.

I came up with a design that worked out, and everything is press fit, with the exception of two set screws for the main connection to the blade holder. The Regal speaker mount I made has pretty awesome resonance and is held in by an o-ring.

Next I set about making sure I had the most accurate parts for the cosmetics, and I felt aside from the grips I have it down for a working FX saber. Gino's grips would have been more accurate, but the Blast Tech grips are comfy and were perfectly cut. I had to shave the screws down so the chassis fits inside the tube, and they are held in by a tiny amount of loctite, and of course the tube is threaded for them.

I chose to use the short graflex pins from TCSS, as I didn't like the way the originals stuck out too far from the body. They just felt and looked weird.

The pins were a point of frustration for me, as at first as you can see from the other link, that whoever was building this first, decided a set screw had to be from the pin hole. So they drilled and tapped a pin hole for a set screw. I hated that...

I found the perfect stainless blade holder/main body/set screw and used that instead (you can see in the video), and fixed the problem. I used a black set screw in the big hole, cut it down, and press fit the graflex pin in its place, using the original contact shroud for the pins to keep it all in place. So now it looks as it should. ^_^

For the working parts LDM set me up with a pretty Cree Blue, as the original Cyan wasn't to my liking.

I also got a PC 1.5, for the build originally, but my ham fisted soldering plus terrible iron shorted something out and off that went to MH for repair. So in the mean time I bought a new iron, practiced my xxx off, and got a PC 1.6. With my new skills I whipped it out with the quickness and much cleaner soldering. I'm no MH, but I'll get there. After have a hard time getting the clash sensor to "clash" I got some advice from MH and relocated it with some leads, and now it clashes like a champ.

I also bought Madcow's Bespin II from saberfont.com and it really completes the whole experience. Awesome sounds!

So now its done... months of waiting on parts to come in the mail, and revisions to my technique and knowledge, and I finally have this beauty to play with.

So... now I want to sell it. ^_^ Yep! I have three vintage Graflexes sitting here that want to be built and I am going to aim for a custom crystal chassis next for an ANH build. I have all the parts I need, just have to design and make the chassis.

Also I recently won a MKVI, so there's not enough room for all of these. So this one goes on sale soon.

To make run, had to mill out some space for this fat switch (I know not the prettiest, but you never see it)

With MR LE V2, and EFX Reveal just for fun

Finally the video!

Luke Skywalker Empire Strikes Back Replica Graflex V Petit Crouton 1.6 - YouTube

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
Nice work there, inspires me to get on with my ANH graflex - been a bit slow on the progress front since other non prop-related projects have taken over. I too plan to do an internal detail crystal chamber (non functional) for mine, using all found parts. Kind of a "make it up as I go along" but in keeping with others that have done the same.

Do post progress as you build (as will I) - lets face it every bit of inspiration given and used is handy.

I definitely will try to document the whole build next time.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I really appreciate it. Its very cool to play with... it makes my static hilts seem a bit boring. ;)

Beautiful, is that weird to say, that i put that right up there with a sunset or a mountain view???

Seriously though, fantastic job, great piece for your collection!

Beautiful, is that weird to say, that i put that right up there with a sunset or a mountain view???

Seriously though, fantastic job, great piece for your collection!

Thanks man... very cool, and I know exactly what you mean. My other sunset is awesome cars.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back