First Bio-Sculpt

Propchic

Hello all!

I'm hoping to get some feedback/support/advice as I attempt my very first bio. I'm currently a student, taking a casting and molding class and I've chosen to make a bio as my final project.
predator2lge.jpg

I'm just going for the basic P1 bio. I hope to try to get it as close the the Stan Winston bio as possible. I'll be posting my progress. And luckily for you guys, since I'll be turning this in for a grade, you get to witness my triumphs and failures from start to finish.

I'm building this bio for a friend, so my first step (though I'm not sure how necessary it was) was to make a mold and then a positive of my friends face. (Photo added with models permission)

p_00836.jpg

p_00837.jpg

From there I drew the outlines of where I felt the eyeholes should be. And the rest has just been packing on clay. Actually right now, I'm watching P1 for inspiration.

p_00867.jpg

p_00880.jpg

p_00881.jpg

24796_378885787321_518667321_3926148_3745611_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with your project. One thing that I think you may have forgotten/not realised, is that a bio is worn over the latex predator head. They are not designed to fit right over a human head, and will look different if you sculpt it like that. I only mention this because you said you wanted to get as close to the original version as possible. There's a couple of threads on sculpting bios in the Huntorials section. Hope I don't sound like a debbie downer, but if you want an accurate movie style bio, you may need to change the way you go about it.

Good luck with your project. One thing that I think you may have forgotten/not realised, is that a bio is worn over the latex predator head. They are not designed to fit right over a human head, and will look different if you sculpt it like that. I only mention this because you said you wanted to get as close to the original version as possible. There's a couple of threads on sculpting bios in the Huntorials section. Hope I don't sound like a debbie downer, but if you want an accurate movie style bio, you may need to change the way you go about it.

Hey Hez,

Thank you for the input. I had briefly thought about it, and had hoped that I could pad the inside with foam near the chin so it would be able to be work. I'm trying to get it as close to my research photo as possible, as it will get me the best grade, lol.

How would you suggest sculpting without having a latex predator mask to work from?

Also, I have the following products available to use:

Smooth-On: Dragon Skin
Smooth-On: Smooth Cast 300
Plaster
Clay
Universal Mold release
Foam Latex
Brush on Latex

And I also have a large supply of hand tools and other crafting/prop supplies. And a table saw, circular saw, band saw, etc.

I'm afraid if you don't have a mask handy to make an armature from, there's no magical formula. You just gotta eyeball it. What I would suggest is take a look at some masks. xdmrays half mask will be a good reference point, because he sculpted it over a head cast and you can see the relative size of the mask to the head it was sculpted over. Make a smooth armaturewith some cardboard that roughly approximates the size and shape of a mask, and cover it with plaster strips. This should provide you with a better armature to sculpt over than a lifecast. Then just throw some clay on there and start shaping.

Thanks for the advice. I think in the future I'll be making a foam latex Predator head. In the mean time, I think I might have to make do with what I have. Any tips or advice? It feels to me that Predator is about .15% bigger than a human head, with an enlarged and elongated cranium and sharper jaw.

Looks great so far! If i may ask, where are you taking classes on molding? I went to school for that too, at the art institute. I have a suggestion for how to make an armeture as well, that you might find easy. You can take blue insulation foam (or pink foam in some areas), you can find it at any home depot, and cut out a sillouette of the shape you want. (it usualy comes in 4x8 sheets, 2 inches thick) Make it a little smaller so you can add clay too it to make the sculpture later. Then thicken it up with a few more pices glued side by side so you have a cube of foam. You can use wood glue to attach the pices toghether. Then begin hacking away at it with a hack saw and wire brush to make the shape you need- keeping in mind to make it a little small, so you can add about a half inch of clay all over it. Before you can add the clay tho, you have to seal it, to make it not fall apart with little blue fuzzies and so clay will stick to it. Just cover all of the foam with a few layers of wood glue and let it dry. This will make it light, and its very sturdy. I hope that helped some, keep up the good work!

I'm at the UW-Milwaukee in the Theatre department. I don't really have time to make an armature. So, I'm going to pursue as planned. I really appreciate the input! I think if I were to do this again, I would form it from an armature, or even a latex head first. I've had a lot of fun sculpting this. I think that this has been a really challenging first project. Most of the other kids have picked things like making refrigerator magnets and bookends.

Here are some of my progress pictures!

p_00887.jpg

Added a bunch to the armature.

p_00889.jpg

And the side view.

p_00896.jpg

After more sculpting.

p_00898.jpg

Thanks! Here's my progress. I've added the silicone, waiting for that to cure before I make the mothermold.
p_00901.jpg

p_00905.jpg

p_00906.jpg

looks good propchic. after it cures you may want to take scissors to the silicone and make it a little smoother. so all those little points aren't attatchment point in the plaster mother.

xdmray:

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't actually thought of that. The silicone is a bit think in places and I'm a little afraid of tearing. I'll be sure to do that so the silicone doesn't get stuck in the mothermold.

th3 pr3dat0r 0f d3ath:

Yes! I had never worked with Dragon Skin before, but others in my class were having issues getting it to cure. I guess my professor hadn't purchased sulfur-free clay. So, it had to be very heavily sealed. I used 6-7 coats of Krylon Acrylic sealer. I applied the silicone on Thursday, when I came in on Friday it had completely cured.

I'm going to mothermold on Monday, should be able to pour positives by Tuesday. :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back