First Batman Comic Inspired Cowl Sculpt - First Ever Sculpt Period

Graphic Jordan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

Took my first stab at sculpting...

It's comic inspired.. bit of HUSH, Dick Grayson Batman, and even the neckless TDK style vibe.

It will have short ears... that face forwards slightly and will be worn with a Bob Kieffer cape/hood combo.

The final texture will look like cloth.. or at least that is the plan.

Very rough sculpt.. just developing the shapes.. finished product will be smooth.

As I said this is my first ever sculpt... not just a cowl. First time with clay. So far I love the experience.

Cheers!

Thanks. :) These words of encouragement let me know that I don't completely suck at sculpting.. I didn't wanna keep going if I suck horribly. ha!

Hey GJ... if you can make the ears removable or replaceable, you might even have 2 cowls in one sculpt... the pointed bat ears for batman and the feathered wing ears for hawkman...:love:thumbsup (a nose extension to turn it to a beak will complete the transformation;))

Just a crazy idea... they almost have the same look (at least to me though :D)

cheers bro!

if you want to give it a cloth texture, press some cheese cloth or burlap against it. this looks great! keep it up Jordan!

i got that same armature/sculpting kit for christmas! i cant wait to sculpt something!
yours is looking good so far!

That's the armature from Monster Makers correct? Just in case that is a 22" head so very small, I know you have a larger head so you will have to build it up quit a bit if your going for a cowl to fit yourself. Hate to see you go through all the work and not have it fit ya. If it's urethane your aiming for then 3/8" larger than your head will work fine. If Latex than you need to go approx 10% larger than the measurement you want to end up with.

Thanks guys! And yes I am very aware this is a small mannequin. I've put lots of time and effort into measuring it to my proportions.. the top of the head is smaller at 22" but the facial promotion and size is almost bang on to my own face... I will be building this up to accommodate my large head.

I also plan on casting in urethane and plan on accounting for a nice thick pull too.

I've consulted with Shawn, Laban, Tom, etc.. asked them far to many questions, lol, and will be very cautious of size, etc.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I am glad to know I've got a good start, I wasn't sure how this whole sculpting thing would work out.

Thanks guys! I have more clay arriving today so I can get back to work on it, have been staring at it all week long wishing I could continue.. was hard not to.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back