First Attempt At Painting - Hands

tehfailsafe

So I bought an airbrush and went to town. Really didn't have much of an idea of what the ^%$#@ I was doing, and the P1 shots of his hands are pretty muddy / blotchy, so I took some inspiration from P2, though hopefully it still reads as P1 even though the glove is different.

I took shots along the way, starting at the base color. And I still need to go back in and add some extra detail work on the spots, and maybe lighten the shading up a tad. I kept going from dark to light to dark not quite happy with it.

Anyway, pictures!

P1-Hand_1.JPG

P1-Hand_2.JPG

P1-Hand_3.JPG

P1-Hand_3_back.JPG

P1-Hand_4.JPG

P1-Hand_5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!

I'm thinking now that maybe it's too dark overall, and I want more contrast between the spots and the skin tones, plus the leather needs a brighter skin next to it to look like dark leather, maybe closer to the next to last pic, if I can go back to light (again!).

Priest, the raw pulls were from Seahunterr.

Also, anyone have tips for getting a metalic look on latex? I've been holding off doing the knuckles until I can figure it out...

Foremost, I love the paint-up. What concerns me is, do you have the rest of the suit? Have you kept track of your color palette (Kept a swatch/samples) and written down the order you did it? Keep that in mind, while the process is still fresh in your mind, so you can repeat the scheme on the rest of the suit. Otherwise, you may end up having to repaint to match.

In regards to the P1 Hands, it really depends on which route you want to take. The movie hands are EXTREMELY blotchy and personally, I don't like them. What I do prefer are the hands on the Steve Wang Maquette. Then, there is the NECA version, which is just kind of "eh". Check out this album I put together to get a better idea of what I am talking about: http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h416/darthpinhead/Predator/Classic%20Predator%20Hand%20Sculpts/Classic%20Predator%20Hand%20Reference/

I do have the rest of the suit, scott marshall skins and head. I decided to start with the hands because they were the least expensive piece of latex that I had since I was worried about ruining it since I've never painted before.

What I did for saving the colors was mix up large batches of the skin color and browns, 4oz or so. Considering how little I used on the hands ( drops, litterally) I think that will be enough.The hard one to match perfectly will be the black, which is actually very dark green with some brown mixed in, but is lighter than pure black.

Thanks for the reference shots! I love the steve wang one, do you have more shots of it? Man I'd love to get my hands on one of those!

Well as Steve painted the hands on the film suit and the maquette, and they are very similar, nay as close to identical as you can get.

they may look blotchy due to the abuse they took in the jungle, but pictures of them as they were bing painted show they were painted as crisp as the rest of the suit.

Yeah, I certainly wasn't trying to insult the original artists... Just that the reference I was able to find in the film was hard to go by.

They are similar, but artistic license was used, i.e. nails, glove color, method and amount of spotting. Now, mind you, one set of hands is for a 7' monster and the other is for a maquette, so that could be a reason for the change in spotting pattern.

th_P1Screencaps-Hands-12.jpg
th_Wang-P1Hands2.jpg

Again you are looking at a set of hands under film lighting and that have been used for god knows how long.

the spots are not extremely blotchy at all. and they follow the rest of the film suits pattern , which is way way more accurate than a maquette................. lol.

In fact the maquettes hands are blotchy, and no where near as crisp, but thats down to the size.

P1SteveWangHandPainting.jpg

I think my favorite coloring you did would be the third pic down. That paint up seems to have a more natural feel to me. Lay some spotting down and I'd say it's good to go. Just my opinion. (y)

Well, gone back and forth so many times on these I lost count. I finally ended up doing a P2 hands instead since the glove is for P2 and it never looked right. And then 5 minutes ago I spilled black paint all over the second hand after I JUST finished it up and had it matching this one... Looks like I'll have to redo it all over again... But at least the black paint missed this one...

P2-Hand_1.JPG

P1-Hand_2.JPG

P1-Hand_3.JPG

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back