First 3D Printer Project - 1/24 Scale X-Wing with my new Prusa Mini (Complete!).

That looks so good! About how many spools of filament does it take to print this guy? You've made it look pretty effortless (which I'm sure isn't the case), and so I'm very tempted to print my own...

SB

That looks so good! About how many spools of filament does it take to print this guy? You've made it look pretty effortless (which I'm sure isn't the case), and so I'm very tempted to print my own...

SB

Effortless, ha, I wish :) There is a reason I have taken so long, I almost threw this away on 3 separate occasions. Of course, I really did not know what I was getting into when I started as it was literally one of my first 3D printed projects ever, but I have learned much since then.

If you decide to build one let me know, I have some tips and I remixed a few of the files. For instance, there is no real good way to print the canopy if you want an open cockpit as the model by default has the canopy all filled in. The interior is a separate file. I took the full original 3D model, cut it down, and finally got just the canopy, which would be ideal for a resin printer.

Anyway, it was about 1.85 Kilos, so about 2 spools. However, considering I printed some parts more than once, well it was more than that :)

Preview of what I am printing now. Years ago when I first got back into modeling this was one of my first kits. No real weathering, wrong color, no rust, etc. Time to scale it up and do it right :)

Printing the AT-ST while I work on my 36" Sulaco which I should be starting a thread for in a few weeks.

20200920_224603.jpg

Here are some close-up shots of my cockpit, when it comes to modeling this is by far my weakest skill... If it were not for Jason's awesome decal sheet, I would have just blacked out my windows and not even installed this section. His decals are the only saving grace here, and they are awesome!

20200924_170310.jpg

I had to cut up a few to get them to fit, but here it is with most of them in place.

20200924_185826.jpg

Closing time!

20200924_223727.jpg

20200924_223256.jpg

The model comes with a file for printing the wing tip blasters, but there is no real way to get a good print with my printer. Instead, I have these hollow aluminum rods that I will use to build those out.

20200924_123808.jpg

A little off-topic, but since the cold weather is coming and my office is in the basement, I wanted to build an enclosure for my printer. I also have some larger projects lined up for the cold weather so I wanted to free up my 8' workbench so I can take full advantage.

I used some square aluminum rails, glass, and plastic sheets to build it. I was going to use Plexi, but the glass was 1/4 the price so I thought I would give it a try.

20200922_184634.jpg

20200924_080809.jpg

I am working my way slowly through all the different paint colors. I have never attempted to mask and paint something this large before. The first round of 'chipping' is the liquid mask, then I will blend it with some scratching and some sandpaper. I am not thrilled with the masking I did on the red at the ends of the wings, but it was my first attempt and I got a bit carried away. I think some of the other parts look a bit better.

Thanks, Analyzer for the help the assistance on the paint scheme!

20201003_210428.jpg

I wonder if the liquid mask is better used on just the edges of where the paint will lay down.
Yes, correct, that is where it really works better... and I learned to make it into not so much of a 'bubble' or round shape later on.

I need to add a few more paint details and this is finally fully painted. This has been really good practice as I have never airbrushed or painted anything this large, will be a good experience for when I finally get my FG Falcon built.

Next will be to gloss coat it and then put on the decals! Then onto my favorite part, adding the 'grime' :)

I am also trying to match the AS-20 Insignia with some XF-2 and XF-55 (deck tan) for some touch-ups, I am not sure how close I will be able to get. I have read that the ratio is 10:1.

20201006_231644.jpg

Also, if anyone has any info on decal placement they would be willing to share, shoot me a message... I was able to find some good references for my TIE build, but I have only been able to track down a few for this one. Failing that, I will just put them where ever :)

Here are some close-up shots of my cockpit, when it comes to modeling this is by far my weakest skill... If it were not for Jason's awesome decal sheet, I would have just blacked out my windows and not even installed this section. His decals are the only saving grace here, and they are awesome!

View attachment 1352232

I had to cut up a few to get them to fit, but here it is with most of them in place.

View attachment 1352233
Hi. I've been watching your build. It's coming on really well. Where did you get the decals? I've got an x-wing to print at the same scale and the cockpit "concerns" me...

Hi. I've been watching your build. It's coming on really well. Where did you get the decals? I've got an x-wing to print at the same scale and the cockpit "concerns" me...

There is a guy on the forum here Jason who made them. They are amazing, I used them on my TIE also. I will message you the link to his Etsy shop.

I was also worried about the same thing, no way I could paint it...

You know you are getting close when you start building the display base! I really struggled with this one, a lot. Initially, I thought it would be pretty easy to mount it from behind. I have never mounted a model this way but I know the X-Wing was often mounted from behind for certain shots so I really wanted to duplicate that. It's way easier to just drill a hole in the center of the model and mount it from underneath (in my experience). I was finally able to come up with something.

I wanted to do a very basic mount with a very industrial looking armature (if you can call it that), something ILM 'could' have used, something built with parts that could be just laying around a shop.

Anyway, this is what I finally came up with. The plaque is made by an amazing maker on Etsy who casts and machines all types of awesome stuff, including my favorite saber and helmet mounts.

20201011_122339.jpg

Time to get the big boy toys out :)

20201011_125935.jpg

20201011_132607.jpg

20201012_193017.jpg

I may end up re-doing the joint on top, I have a few different options coming. I could not find 5/16-24 threaded fittings so there is some JB Weld in play here to make it work. I am sure it's strong enough but I would like a 100% mechanical connection here:

20201012_193051.jpg

The base paint is just about wrapped up. I was a bit nervous about doing the engine 'weathering' with the airbrush as I have never done that before, but it actually turned out better than I thought.

I have a few more parts to paint and then it will be time to gloss it, get the decals on and weather it up.

20201012_224743.jpg

My favorite part, breaking out all the weathering supplies! This is pretty much my standard supply inventory to pick from. The only new addition was the AK Interactive Engine Wash, they are fantastic, one of my new favorites!

20201015_223616.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty much done! I have a few areas to clean up. I need to gloss coat the guns and weather them up a bit and then flat coat it all. I love using oil paints as I can come back a day or more later and take away or add to it very easily. The only downside is that they take some time to dry, but I really think the oil paints are more 'organic' when it comes to weathering.

Anyway, here it is:

20201016_225113.jpg

20201016_225119.jpg

20201016_225133.jpg

20201016_225213.jpg

-- Eric

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back