First 3d print attempt Iron Man

Frenzy1971

So I'm new to printing and cosplay. I won the local con with my 1st real build hawkeye and immediately started my Iron Man grail build. I think I made a newbie error and needed some expert eyes on it. I have been using craftware program to make code files for my Cr-10. I liked the prints, however I think I hit the bisect option and the setting didn't go away. It took 70 hours to print this. So my questions are these, does it look bisected? 2. Can I save it with some careful bondo and blending with resin on the inside?

Attachments

• 20190904_193443.jpg
    20190904_193443.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 20190904_193438.jpg
    20190904_193438.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 385
  • 20190904_193431.jpg
    20190904_193431.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 361
  • 20190904_193428(0).jpg
    20190904_193428(0).jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 20190904_193423.jpg
    20190904_193423.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 345
You can fix it, but you would need to bondo, fiberglass, dance on one leg with a chicken bone in your mouth to bring the voodoo spirits on your side, all before a helllllll of a lot of sanding. I would call it a day with this one and concentrate on printing another one that will save you time in the long run. Yes, it might cost you the price of a new roll, but get one on sale and you’re good to go. I like challenges but I wouldn’t even attempt saving this one based on how long it would take.

I'm learning, and instead of just settling, I'm starting over until it's good. On my second face plate and chin piece when I found hurrying with a dremel to clean the pieces is not the way to go. I did figure out flipping the helmet main model upside down will cut my time by not having to generate so much support. Like by half.

I’ve been printing for about a half a year now and I can’t recall a week where my printer hadn’t been running. It’s just such a fun thing to tinker with. I’ve found dremel and PLA don’t mix well at high speeds lol. It just melts it. A lot of my prints get flipped, turned, and rotated and usually I can’t get better details as a result as most of my prints are small pieces. The biggest thing I have going now is my Judge Dredd helmet so if you get a chance, check out my build thread as there are a few printing and finishing tips in that thread. Can’t wait to see what you new prints look like.

I will check it out. Even my wife thinks the printer is cool once she realized you can literally make anything. I'm finding it to be the Amelia Bedelia brand replicator. It does exactly what you put in. I flipped the helmet upside down, but not exactly centered vertically, so its upside down leaning a couple degrees to the left. It boggles my mind. Its gonna be a great print.

It looks like you're having done extruder issues on the main helmet piece, those regular repeating bands of over extrusion shouldn't be there. Have you calibrated your printer?

I've been printing a year now and am still learning, but calibrating properly is priceless. Attached is my unprocessed print for comparison on an Ender 3 which isn't calibrated as well as it could be.

Another tip I've learnt the hard way is sometimes smaller, shorter prints are better. I tried to print a Boba Fett helmet in as few sections as possible and just wasted loads of plastic. Slicing it into smaller chunks meant less waste and faster prints. Gluing them together afterwards isn't much hassle.

Also, I'd rather not have supports on the visible surfaces, I find it much harder to get a smooth finish afterwards.

Having said all that, I'm far from being an expert so maybe ignore everything I say!

Attachments

• 20181110_000859.jpg
    20181110_000859.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 246
yeah im using dadaves model now, and the helmet is all sliced, its printing better. yes I calibrated when I first built it. The upside down slightly leaning print attempt I should have kept, it was hilarious. I could have been Sloth Iron man as crooked as it was getting. We'll see how well going smaller works. I'm not worried about plastic cost, I look at it as each fail I get better, and learn something new not to do or do different. I'm actually monkeying in advanced settings now. I appreciate everyone's advice. That helm is awesome btw.

I think the same as you when it comes to the waste portion. I’ve literally printed 30+ times for one piece of my Jedi Remote just to dial in the settings and how I would like it to look. I twisted, turned and flipped it all different ways to get it right and wasted sooo much PLA. But, it’s how you learn. Looking forward to your prints.

If I was worried about money I wouldn't have gone the printer route. I'm an older guy and time is more important to me. That's why I couldn't hack the pepakura route. Dont get me wrong I HATE waiting on prints, but I hated more cutting, folding and gluing for 3 hours to get 4 inches of a six foot costume, Haha. I get super inspired reading threads here so it's worth taking the time to make something to be proud of whether it takes me a few months or a few years. I entered this hobby with the intent of burningt through money on the learning curve. Before cosplay I did the bar band thing for 15 years, which costs too, so I've always kept hobby funds back.

Always glad to see another iron man builder here, if you get stuck on anything reach out. My biggest recommendation though is to use petg over standard pla. The quality of prints will be the same but the parts are much stronger and wont warp in the sun

I'm still trying to get good prints. I may need to stop, take some time and really pour through some more levelling and calibrating videos with my printer. Sometimes I can't tell if it's because of the printer or the file I'm using. I'm still working on a helmet, I wanted to print a helmet, learn the finishing and painting before I move on to scaling and such with the body. I haven't got one fully printed successfully yet, but I'm working on it.

MakerBot's Craftware. I do have a config set up with my Cr-10's bed size, and I know how to manipulate objects as far as position on bed, direction, rafts and support. I have not figured out how to cut something into more than one object and save as separate g-codes though. The files I am using are pre-sliced thank goodness. My little laptop won't run Cura. I did get Sli3er, but haven't had time to figure it out yet.

You’d be surprised how the different slicers react to the same files. For me, Cura was the most user friendly to a novice and I still love the simplicity of it. I didn’t like Simplify3d and I have no experience with the one you’re using.

Huge learning curve to printing but once I get it figured out and get to actually make something all the way through this will all be worth it. No better teacher than failure that takes days to happen lol.

Hi Frenzy1971,

Starting from the basics. What is the history of your CR-10S?
Did you get it new and have you added any modifications to the print head?
I too have a CR-10S. It was my first printer.
Can you post any recent closeup pictures (problem areas) of your recent prints?
Maybe something can be figured out that can help you get that first clean, complete print.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back