Firefly - Wash's Dinosaurs?

Re: Firefly - Wash's Dinosaurs?

Have folks lost interest in Firefly?

Dunno if it's so much lost interest as the hard core builders have built their pieces and sold to those looking. I'm still in the market for a few pieces but as they are kinda high end (Metal Jayne pistol replica and I'd love to get in on Rob's 47A run) I'm gonna have to put out some serious cashy money to get them. With the economy the way it is, that could be a while... :cry

Have folks lost interest in Firefly?
SNIP
Because , it was all the craze a couple years ago, but now you see less, and less of it, and I see a lot of folks selling off their stuff. :(

I think that Firefly was the passing fancy for a lot of folks.

For others, they have successfully acquired the pieces they wanted.

For me, I bought a whole lotta projects and I'm slooooowly working my way through them.
Add to that the work I've done on my Firefly fan film, "Fool Me Twice", and the pace of posting falls off.

But to your point, I would agree that the lack of new content has affected the energy level of Browncoat-dom.

But there is still plenty to re-read:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=46129&highlight=FFF
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=25732&highlight=FFF
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=33926&highlight=alliance+baton
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=27970&highlight=jubal+early
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=27751&highlight=jubal+early
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=61213&highlight=mal+pistol
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=52372&highlight=mal+pistol
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=44714&highlight=firefly+jayne
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=37422&highlight=firefly+jayne

And so on and so on...

Mike

Well, I just made a Mal costume last year. (still looking for a good set of bucks for my browncoat.)

I'm still putting the finishing touches on some props. I have a really bad habit of starting projects, and then staring another, and another, so I have tons of half finished projects laying around here, but one day, I hope to just have unholy butt loads of props finished around the same time. :lol (since I'm kind of working on all of them at the same time. )

And there are those props I will never get to own, but will always want. Like Robs upcoming metal Mal pistol, Jayne's guns, and a few other things, like almost anything screen used.

i'm still a hug fan, and I truly think it is the best show ever made. (I was a hardcore star wars fan, among other thing, but now I love Firefly fare more then the rest.)

I guess it's just hard, because there are almost no other fans in my area. So, even on the rare occasion I get to meat fellow nerds, so many of them have never heard of it. :( I introduce as many people as I can, and most anyone that sees it loves it. But, I have met few people around here that i can get to love it enough, to do the props, and costuming bit. :(

Oh well I love it.

I'm a latecomer to Firefly fandom, so I love seeing these threads bumped! Also I've been on the lookout at local Walgreens and toy stores for Wash's dinos, but haven't found any yet.

I have pretty good luck finding the wash dinos locally (or at least I did a year, or two ago) So if you would like me to take a look for you, I may be able to turn something up. :) (that goes for anyone that needs them.) I mean it is fun to find them yourself, and you don't have to pay shipping that way, but I really don't mind helping out, if anyone needs it. :)

Last edited:

Are these these the exact Palm Trees?
web.jpg

Has anyone seen the Cera's or Stego's at any walgreens?
I've been to 11 local walgreens and have only found a Dilophosaurus and a Allosaurus (they where the last ones so I got them for my kids, hopefully they'll reorder some more)

No. That's not the correct tree.

I'm pretty sure these are the accurate ones:
FS_Trees.jpg

(photo by F-N-S)

Finding those dinos at Walgreens can be very challenging. You might want to post a Want To Buy (WTB) thread in the JY and see if anyone here has some for sale.

Thanks.
I saw some like that but in this shot:
web.jpg

it looks like the base had a "rocky" (not smooth) appearance to it.

Opinions?

Yeah, it does look kinda rocky. Could it be the lighting? Could the base have been painted?
Here's another shot that shows the tree trunks. There's more space between the rings, I think, than there is on the tree you posted. (could be my eyes, though!)

spinosaurus.jpg

Last edited:

No. That's not the correct tree.

I'm pretty sure these are the accurate ones:
FS_Trees.jpg

(photo by F-N-S)

Finding those dinos at Walgreens can be very challenging. You might want to post a Want To Buy (WTB) thread in the JY and see if anyone here has some for sale.

Well, I was able to find some of these Palm Trees, Im still not convinced that they are correct, I don't think the 100% correct ones have been found yet, but they'll do for now. :)

Thanks.
I saw some like that but in this shot:
web.jpg

it looks like the base had a "rocky" (not smooth) appearance to it.

Opinions?

It looks like the flocked the base with scenic flock. I think it's been shown that they painted some of the dinos (?) so modifying the base may not be out of the question.

Hi there,
I am brand new to these forums. I am very fortunate to have found this thread. I have been looking to collect Wash's dinosaurs for quite some time now, and through searching on fireflyfans.net was directed here by someone over there. I have read most of the posts here and am glad I came late to the party, because most of the work has already been done as far as identifying the dinosaurs. To those that did all the painstaking work of identification, I salute and thank you. I began reading this thread almost a year ago, and finally decided to post, as I am now aggressively pursuing the building of a collection. Shortly after finding this thread, I went to my local Wallgreens and found the straight legged Ceratosaurus. Since then I have been to many stores and have yet to find a Stegosaurus. Reading all of the posts here about how easily Stegos were locatable, I couldn't understand why I couldn't locate any. Well last week I located one on eBay and won the auction for just under $2.50. Quite a good find! I also recently won another eBay action entitled "HUGE LOT OF TOY DINOSAURS IN BACKPACK" I bought it not for the dinosaurs, but for the palm trees. Here is what they look like:
palms001a.jpg

palms002a.jpg

The one with the dark base looks very similar to the one in the series premier. Am I correct in that the trees haven't been fully identified yet?
What I have:
Straight leg Ceratosaur
Stegosaurus
Palm Tree
What I need:
Bent leg Ceratosaur
Apatosaur (have seen link in this thread and will order from there)
Triceratops (have seen link in this thread and will order from there)
Spinosaurus (still looking on eBay)
Diplodocus (has anyone identified the make yet?)
Ankylosaur (has anyone identified the make yet?)
Any other dinos I am missing?

On a side note, I have been a dinosaur nut my entire life and have had many dinosaur toys over the years. Recently the Prop Store of London was selling some of Wash's Serenity dinosaurs that were autographed, and I realized that I had one from back when I was a kid. It was the Peteronodon:
pteronodon001.jpg

Thanks to anyone that can help answer some of my questions.

Hi there,
I am brand new to these forums. I am very fortunate to have found this thread. I have been looking to collect Wash's dinosaurs for quite some time now, and through searching on fireflyfans.net was directed here by someone over there. I have read most of the posts here and am glad I came late to the party, because most of the work has already been done as far as identifying the dinosaurs. To those that did all the painstaking work of identification, I salute and thank you. I began reading this thread almost a year ago, and finally decided to post, as I am now aggressively pursuing the building of a collection. Shortly after finding this thread, I went to my local Wallgreens and found the straight legged Ceratosaurus. Since then I have been to many stores and have yet to find a Stegosaurus. Reading all of the posts here about how easily Stegos were locatable, I couldn't understand why I couldn't locate any. Well last week I located one on eBay and won the auction for just under $2.50. Quite a good find! I also recently won another eBay action entitled "HUGE LOT OF TOY DINOSAURS IN BACKPACK" I bought it not for the dinosaurs, but for the palm trees. Here is what they look like:
palms001a.jpg

palms002a.jpg

The one with the dark base looks very similar to the one in the series premier. Am I correct in that the trees haven't been fully identified yet?
What I have:
Straight leg Ceratosaur
Stegosaurus
Palm Tree
What I need:
Bent leg Ceratosaur
Apatosaur (have seen link in this thread and will order from there)
Triceratops (have seen link in this thread and will order from there)
Spinosaurus (still looking on eBay)
Diplodocus (has anyone identified the make yet?)
Ankylosaur (has anyone identified the make yet?)
Any other dinos I am missing?

On a side note, I have been a dinosaur nut my entire life and have had many dinosaur toys over the years. Recently the Prop Store of London was selling some of Wash's Serenity dinosaurs that were autographed, and I realized that I had one from back when I was a kid. It was the Peteronodon:
pteronodon001.jpg

Thanks to anyone that can help answer some of my questions.

I think the palm tree with the rocky base u have is the most acurate to screen used prop that I have seen within this thread.

If I remember correctly, a number of the autographed Wash dinosaurs were not only not screen-used,
they weren't even the same kinds that appeared in the film.

I think they were just basically sold as Alan Tudyk's signature on a dino.
So, without the signature, some dinos have no ties to the 'verse at all.
It doesn't hurt to check, tho', because there are a few obscure dinos on Wash's console.

Mike

Received the Stego in the mail today. Quite exiting. I enjoyed just playing around with him and my straight legged Ceratosaur. "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal..."

Wow. New member here. I just wrote up a lengthy post detailing my adventures in trying to locate these dinosaurs, including numerous hyperlinks. It took me half an hour to compose. When I clicked post, I got an error message, "Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded. Please push the back button and reload the previous window." So I clicked "Back", whereupon I found my post was lost. Is this a common issue on this forum?

I'll summarize my previous post just by saying it's increasingly difficult to find these dinosaurs, and, I am convinced, impossible to find them in retail stores such as the ones listed on the Imperial Toys web site. Even within just the last week Imperial removed all but three styles of dinosaurs from their page. The stegosaurus and ceratosaur are now gone (though their individual pages remain, here and here). One retailer has available a package of Imperial dinosaurs which are said to be available for sale online, but I doubt they would include the ones we're looking for.

FYI, when I was looking at these toys a while back, I saw the dark brown tree and the tan trees here and there.

After comparing screen caps and the tree bases, I believe that the tan tree is screen accurate rather than the dark brown one. Why? The base. The dark brown tree's base has a taper on one end and the tan one does not - which matches the screen caps.

The Ceratosaurus was painted for the show, there's no reason why the tree wasn't as well. It may have even had some stuff glued on to it because it looks so... bland normally.

EDIT:

Also, the light-colored leaves on the dark brown tree don't have enough "fingers" on them compared to the tan tree and the screen caps.

-G

Last edited:
Different pics can have different colors (different scheme colors as in one RBG and the other CMYK can be enough to fool the eye), so the screen may be a bit off from real life (and I'm not saying it is just commenting).

Different pics can have different colors (different scheme colors as in one RBG and the other CMYK can be enough to fool the eye), so the screen may be a bit off from real life (and I'm not saying it is just commenting).
You're exactly right.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back