Limited Run FIREFLY: Screen accurate Simon vest fabric

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Risu

Master Member
I've got two things on offer. First, and most importantly, is the last remnants of the actual fabric used to make one of Simon's vests. I managed to track this down in a fabric store in LA recently and after talking with the owner I discovered something really awesome. Not only is this the correct fabric, but it's highly likely that this is actually the same bolt purchased by the production for the show. The bolt was originally purchased years ago and the customer later returned what wasn't used, with a fusible interfacing applied to the back. So I have enough extra to make 3 waistcoats, and I'm selling each panel for $50. (it wasn't cheap fabric). The panels measure 29" tall by 36" wide, which is more than enough to get the two fronts, facings, and pocket welts in most sizes. I'm posting them up here and on FFP.net. First 3 people on either forum get them.

Separate from that, a few months ago I made a graphic for another of his vests, primarily worn in Safe. It can be purchased on satin through Spoonflower. This one is unlimited.

http://www.spoonflower.com/designs/2630605

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Risu

Master Member
The original bolt all sold to Ask Kaylee Frye. I don't know if she's already used it all, but she was planning to make vests on commission. I save improved the printed fabric since this post, though. The colors turn out better and the pattern scale is now correct.

Bronson BB

Wait, are we both talking about the all gold vest at the top of the original post?
That's what I was asking after.

I am planning to get a vest made by A.K.F., but in the 'Spoonflower' colored fabric, btw., but that's a whole other thing.

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Also interested. Been trying to get this done via Etsy, with no luck. I need this for a June Convention....measurements ready.

-Ss

Risu

Master Member
Bronson BB AKF bought all of the gold fabric except the stuff I kept to make my own vest, so that's not available. The printed fabric is still available through Spoonflower. It's my understanding that she is using my fabric for her commissions. I don't know if she's used up all of the gold fabric already, it was enough to make 3 vests. You might ask her if she still has any of it left.
ssdesigner I'm not planning to make any vests on commission, I really don't have the free time, but you could ask AKF. I'm not sure exactly what her screen name is on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

ssdesigner

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone been able to reach Ask Kaylee Frye?

We had a brief back and forth on Etsy, and she was going to make me a vest, but I've been unable to reach her now. :(

-Ss

Nelzie

Hey!

I kind of wish that I had located this thread some time ago... on account of the fact that I was originally seeking out a satin that matches what was linked above in the Spoonflower page. So... I'm ordering that in the near future too.

However, as for the fabric talked about referencing the OP. In my hunt for a suitable fabric, I have located something that will work. It could curl your toes in fright, burn up your wallets and make you chant out: "Nobody ever said Cosplay is cheap. Nobody ever said Cosplay is cheap."

I found it here:

http://www.jrbsilks.com/silk-fabric/silk-dupioni-window-pane

Comparing the photos, Honey Gold DMST144 looks to provide the closest sheen and look depending upon how the light catches it. I ordered up two yards, which is probably enough to produce two, MAYBE three(?) vests, as I have no idea how this silk will work or if I'm going to screw things up being a novice... The total with shipping is just shy of $190 (USD)

Risu

Master Member
That's really close, but not quite it. There are at least 3 different very similar versions of this fabric design in over a dozen colors. Over the last year I've actually collected a few yards of a blood red, a lavender, and a maroon. I've also seen a different lavender, a green, a salmon, about 4 shades of gold and cream, and a grey. Sometimes they pop up on sale for about $5. I've never found any of them in an identical weave to the Simon stuff I originally tracked down though. Usually the squares are slightly smaller, or the intersections will have bold black dots. Lots of variation, no idea why.

Nelzie

Just gauging how the fabric catches the light and that I haven't seen any closer images of that vest aside from the pic at the top, the silk I picked up is way more than close enough. Still... maddeningly expensive, but it will suit the vest really well.