Firefly - MAL Pistol Knurled Knobs

comm510

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A friend asked me to whip these up to replace the cast knobs on the Mal Pistols floating around. I used the cast pieces for size and some caps for the details. Tell me what you think. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

:)

FSmalprts000.jpg

FSmalprts001.jpg

If I'm gonna cut off the details from a casting of a screen-used piece I would hope that I would be replacing them with metal pieces of similar design. ;)

The knobs look great but what's the prospect of producing them in metal?

Originally posted by SurferGeek@Mar 3 2006, 09:03 PM
If I'm gonna cut off the details from a casting of a screen-used piece I would hope that I would be replacing them with metal pieces of similar design.  ;)

The knobs look great but what's the prospect of producing them in metal?
[snapback]1198112[/snapback]​

Well, they look wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than the ones on the gun :)

Thomas

The prospect of these being done in metal is zero.

At the risk of sounding difficult - Unless you have a brass piece these are accurate - technically the clayed up ones (something that I do believe was present on the original casting used to produce the current kits) are accurate but most stunt pieces are altered in some way from the hero. Maybe they cleaned up the screws but they'll never be round and have lost a ton of detail from being clayed up. The hex screw are missing from some areas on the pistol as well but I'd probably replace them too, does that make it worthless or is it a step in the direction of accuracy? I guess I could have just cleaned up the ones on the gun and molded them but that'd be recasting.... wouldn't it?

This issue between Idealized and Accurate has been hashed out in many ways (and to death) here on the RPF. If you think that adding better parts will devalue the piece either monitarily (sp) or from a historical standpoint then you won't bother replacing them in any way. Accuracy may mean no clean up, just painting it black and brown, then rubbing it up with some brass powder or rub-n-buff and calling it a day. Not too pretty but probably accurate to the stunt piece.

You can ultimately decide which option is best for you. I'd personally like any prop to stand up to close scrutiny without losing the integrity of the overall piece. These, in my opinion, are a good 5 dollar way to get there. :)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back