Firefly 'Lassiter' Project

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've wanted to build this prop for a long time, but it wasn't until the found parts were identified in this thread: http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...105782&hl=TRASH that I was able to gear up for actually doing anything. Thanks guys :)

I don't usually do in progress threads, in case I mess up, or fail to finish. In this case, Ithought I would give it a go, so I'm motivated to complete the project in a timeley manner.

In the Firefly episode Trash, The Lassiter was the oldest laser pistol in the verse, a priceless antique, and the object of a daring heist by the Serenity crew and the schemeingSaffron.

trash1.jpg

trash2.jpg

trash3.jpg

trash4.jpg

The body of the Lassiter is based on a vintage flashlight that I picked up from Ebay at a very low price.

trash5.jpg

The grip is from a toy raygun.

tras6.jpg

I had to do some trimming on the grip section and removed the guts of the flashlight.

I then spent a few days sculpting and sanding with Milliput to make the connection between the grip and the main body of the gun. The handle 'hole' was sealed with sheet styrene. I still have some sculpting to do where the styrene meets the grip, but this is how she looks so far:

trash7.jpg

trash8.jpg

trash9.jpg

If anyone has any brilliant ideas regarding the other greeblies, please add your thoughts to this thread.I will post more pics as I progress.

I don't know about other parts, but when you finish this...if it were to accidently fall into some molding stuff and accidently produce offspring...

I might have to help with population control.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Brass @ May 26 2006, 12:32 AM) [snapback]1250796[/snapback]</div>
I don't know about other parts, but when you finish this...if it were to accidently fall into some molding stuff and accidently produce offspring...

[/b]

Stay tuned to this station..... :love

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ May 25 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]1250803[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Brass @ May 26 2006, 12:32 AM) [snapback]1250796[/snapback]

[/b]

Stay tuned to this station..... :love
[/b][/quote]

RedTwoX standing by... for population control duty.

Excellent work so far. I'm happy so someone making progress on this prop. Especially someone who seems interested in help the rest of acquire copies :love

Outstanding work so far... suddenly I saw the term vintage used with a flashlight that I grew up with... now I am actually starting to feel my age :lol

Anyway, I really like this piece in the show and so far your progress does it justice.

Keep it up... ;)

-Bryan

well the top thing looks alot like a laser pointer... as far as the other stuff.... door stops? i dunno, id start by makin some of the parts out of wood.

I've been meaning to start mine as well. Have the flashlight and the toy gun, just have not had the time.

By the way, what happened to the uppermost finger hole on your gun handle? Looks like it's smaller. Is that just the photos or something?

<div class='quotetop'></div>
By the way, what happened to the uppermost finger hole on your gun handle? Looks like it's smaller. Is that just the photos or something[/b]

There was some damage done to the grip by heatgun in that area and I had to do some filling. In that pic the finger-hole is filled with filler that I hadn't sanded back yet.

Eeek...I hate when things like that happen. I usually end up cursing a blue streak and leaving it alone for a while if something like that happens. ;)

Okay, I'm done :)

This actually turned out to be quite a challenge, what with the crappy reference and having to scratch-build all the parts other than the flashlight & grip.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, when I have time I'm gonna build a display stand like the one in the show.

Pics:

use5.jpg

use1.jpg

use2.jpg

use3.jpg

use4.jpg

sweet. Any idea if youll do casts? You can still see some difference with the size of the first finger holde and the guard in front of it missing, but other than that it looks spot on :)

:thumbsup Bravo. :thumbsup

That's very nice work Birdie. I may have to go track down one of those flash lights myself.

Any idea if youll do casts?[/b]

I may put a kit together, not sure if there is the interest?

You can still see some difference with the size of the first finger holde and the guard in front of it missing[/b]

Yup, that damn heat gun :lol If I do cast anything up I'll pick up another ray-gun to get the grip correct. If the guard you refer to is the part I'm thinking of, it was removed in the original piece, too.

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Jun 9 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]1259189[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>
Any idea if youll do casts?[/b]

I may put a kit together, not sure if there is the interest?

You can still see some difference with the size of the first finger holde and the guard in front of it missing[/b]

Yup, that damn heat gun :lol If I do cast anything up I'll pick up another ray-gun to get the grip correct. If the guard you refer to is the part I'm thinking of, it was removed in the original piece, too.
[/b][/quote]

ph yeah youre correct, that part in front of the hole was removed, nevermind :p

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back