Firefly 'Lassiter' Project

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Birdie, May 25, 2006.

1. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've wanted to build this prop for a long time, but it wasn't until the found parts were identified in this thread: http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...105782&hl=TRASH that I was able to gear up for actually doing anything. Thanks guys :)

I don't usually do in progress threads, in case I mess up, or fail to finish. In this case, Ithought I would give it a go, so I'm motivated to complete the project in a timeley manner.

In the Firefly episode Trash, The Lassiter was the oldest laser pistol in the verse, a priceless antique, and the object of a daring heist by the Serenity crew and the schemeingSaffron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body of the Lassiter is based on a vintage flashlight that I picked up from Ebay at a very low price.

[​IMG]

The grip is from a toy raygun.

[​IMG]

I had to do some trimming on the grip section and removed the guts of the flashlight.

I then spent a few days sculpting and sanding with Milliput to make the connection between the grip and the main body of the gun. The handle 'hole' was sealed with sheet styrene. I still have some sculpting to do where the styrene meets the grip, but this is how she looks so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has any brilliant ideas regarding the other greeblies, please add your thoughts to this thread.I will post more pics as I progress.

2. UFO

UFO Sr Member

that flashlight was used in ST:TNG too...
    anyhoo...looking gooooooood.
    i want one.

3. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

I don't know about other parts, but when you finish this...if it were to accidently fall into some molding stuff and accidently produce offspring...

I might have to help with population control.

4. Birdie

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Brass @ May 26 2006, 12:32 AM) [snapback]1250796[/snapback]</div>
    Stay tuned to this station..... :love

5. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ May 25 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]1250803[/snapback]</div>
    Stay tuned to this station..... :love
    [/b][/quote]

RedTwoX standing by... for population control duty.

Excellent work so far. I'm happy so someone making progress on this prop. Especially someone who seems interested in help the rest of acquire copies :love

6. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Outstanding work so far... suddenly I saw the term vintage used with a flashlight that I grew up with... now I am actually starting to feel my age :lol

Anyway, I really like this piece in the show and so far your progress does it justice.

Keep it up... ;)

-Bryan

7. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

well the top thing looks alot like a laser pointer... as far as the other stuff.... door stops? i dunno, id start by makin some of the parts out of wood.

8. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been meaning to start mine as well. Have the flashlight and the toy gun, just have not had the time.

By the way, what happened to the uppermost finger hole on your gun handle? Looks like it's smaller. Is that just the photos or something?

9. Birdie

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    There was some damage done to the grip by heatgun in that area and I had to do some filling. In that pic the finger-hole is filled with filler that I hadn't sanded back yet.

10. dr_slurpee

Eeek...I hate when things like that happen. I usually end up cursing a blue streak and leaving it alone for a while if something like that happens. ;)

11. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Might shiny gun ye got thar. :D

12. Birdie

Some updatage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Birdie

Okay, I'm done :)

This actually turned out to be quite a challenge, what with the crappy reference and having to scratch-build all the parts other than the flashlight & grip.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, when I have time I'm gonna build a display stand like the one in the show.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

That looks fantastic Birdie. Really great work. Its amazing to see one of these.

15. Quinn Merrick

Quinn Merrick Well-Known Member

Wow, that came out great. A very unique Firefly replica

16. Kylash

sweet. Any idea if youll do casts? You can still see some difference with the size of the first finger holde and the guard in front of it missing, but other than that it looks spot on :)

17. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

:thumbsup Bravo. :thumbsup

That's very nice work Birdie. I may have to go track down one of those flash lights myself.

18. Birdie

I may put a kit together, not sure if there is the interest?

Yup, that * heat gun :lol If I do cast anything up I'll pick up another ray-gun to get the grip correct. If the guard you refer to is the part I'm thinking of, it was removed in the original piece, too.

19. AlltoEasy

AlltoEasy Well-Known Member

20. Kylash

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Jun 9 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]1259189[/snapback]</div>
    I may put a kit together, not sure if there is the interest?

Yup, that * heat gun :lol If I do cast anything up I'll pick up another ray-gun to get the grip correct. If the guard you refer to is the part I'm thinking of, it was removed in the original piece, too.
    [/b][/quote]

ph yeah youre correct, that part in front of the hole was removed, nevermind :p

21. Bountys Hunted

Bountys Hunted Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm interested too in a cast of your Lassiter.. Great job on it..

-Rex

22. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

Man, the Lassiter is one "ugly motherf...er" as Arnold would say it.

But your repro is awesome nevertheless.. Way to track down those found parts.. Looks great.

23. QuasiOdo

QuasiOdo Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but I loved the thing from the moment it showed up on screen.
    Great job.
    IF you decide to run them, count me in.

24. Entropy

Entropy Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Firefly 'Lassiter' Project

My son had Zoey 101 on the tube tonight while we were eating supper. I wasn't paying much attention until at the end of the episode, while the characters were working on some science project gone awry, it struck me that they were taking power readings with....the Lassiter! Not the original, but clearly some prop person somewhere built up a Lassiter copy and stuck it in the episode.

I found the pertinent clip here: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v929092cdBY8hhM

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  25. Birdie

My guess is that that IS the original. I'm not aware of that prop being accounted for, and it looks spot on.

I don't suppose you know the episode name/number?

26. Entropy

27. Kylash

if that is the real prop, it looks like they at least gave it a repaint, the handle is all silver and the body looks black.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  28. Entropy

Well, it may now be accounted for. I've located the prop that was used in the Zoey 101 episode, and it does indeed look like it could be the same device that was used for the Lassiter. I took a shot at acquiring it, and was informed (in no uncertain terms) that it was not available for sale.

29. prototype7

prototype7 Well-Known Member

Wow... there are some really connected people on this board! You located the owners of that prop that quickly??!! Good deal. Sucks they won't sell it though. I wonder if they know it's origins. Not likely that it figures into their logic since they painted it all to hell.
    Kinda sucks to know WHERE something like that is and not be able to get to it!

30. Birdie

I believe the prop was used on other shows before Firefly. It's appearance on Zoe 101 leads me even further towards believieving it does/did belong to a prop rental house.

Perhaps Entropy could fill us in (if it isn't sensitive information - I know how these things go sometimes).

31. Entropy

It is indeed still owned by the prop house in LA. I'd rather not say which, simply because they were really unreceptive to any kind of offer. My guess is that they've been approached by collectors before, either on this piece or others. It will likely show up in future productions, as it's still in circulation among their rental pieces as a radar/scanning device.

I can, however, offer a slightly better picture from their inventory listing, so the hunt was not entirely fruitless:

[​IMG]

It looks like the emitter block is inverted in this picture. It was probably reassembled incorrectly after a repaint or cleaning. Their description claims that the handle is steel. Stated measurements are H 9" x W 4" x D 12". That's about the extent of the useful information provided. The display seems to have some working electronics, though it wasn't shown powered on in Firefly. The display for the Zoey episode was CG, added in post.

32. Birdie

Great info, & thanks for the pic!

33. dr_slurpee

So, buying it is out of the question...how about renting and then photographing it from all angles for us replicators? I have 2 flashlights waiting to be converted. ;)

34. Kylash

wow awesome thanks! I still cant find one of those flashlights :(

35. F-N-S

F-N-S Well-Known Member

Great information and picture! Thanks!

I can't find on of these flashlight either. Maybe because dr_slurpee bought 'em all :lol Just kidding :D

36. dr_slurpee

Heh heh, I'd be in the same boat if I hadn't found the right flashlight in my dad's junk in the basement. ;)

I would like to offer kits, just haven't had the time...and some better photos of the prop would be nice.

Someone pose as a production company and go rent that thing and get me some pics. ;)

37. F-N-S

F-N-S Well-Known Member

Or drop it in a bucket full of silicone. I would be in for one :lol

38. BloodCovenant

BloodCovenant New Member

Wow, that's cool. Sort of a strange prop to get recirculated.

39. Birdie

The flashlights crop up on Ebay from time to time. I've nabbed 2 without trying too hard. You just have keep watching. Got my second one for $5.

A kit would be expensive unlesss it could be rotocast. These things re pretty big.

40. BloodCovenant

BloodCovenant New Member

What type of flashlight is that? I tried a Forum search, but couldn't turn up anything.

41. Birdie

Zoe 101 caps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that between these Entropy's pic, these caps and the original Firefly grabs, the reference for this prop is pretty good, given that we know the two main parts are found.

I also think I got pretty * close with the crappy ref I had :lol

42. dr_slurpee

Yeah the flashlight would be cast hollow. :)

43. Brinn 71

Brinn 71 Well-Known Member

I can`t believe I`m looking at Zoe 101 caps! :lol
    May I ask what that toy gun is called? I used to play with one of those back in the day!

44. Birdie

45. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Alright then, who's going to cast the toy gun's handle in metal. Do we really think the prop has a steel handle?

46. Brinn 71

Brinn 71 Well-Known Member

THANK YOU! So...it was from the 60's eh? I could have sworn it came out around Star Wars and was silver and black? Maybe the one I played with was a re-coloured re-issue?

Nice work Birdie!

47. Kylash

i actually found that link waaaya back, but im glad Birdie held onto it :)

48. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

If memory serves Edison Giocattoli produced those guns with plastic chrome grips (which might be what they used), black grips, red grips, and blue grips. The siver ones were part of thier space blaster line. They had several blasters in the line, all had a silver color scheme. The colored ones were marketed in other ways.

49. Mechamaniac

Mechamaniac Sr Member

The name of that flashlight is on the tip of my tongue, we had one when I was a kid, I just can't remember it.

50. dr_slurpee

If I didn't have mine packed away I'd check for the make and model for you guys. :p