Firefly Jayne's Revolver

Originally posted by Sidewinder@Mar 24 2006, 09:07 PM
Threw all the parts together for a comparison to a std Denix:

[attachmentid=7363]

Had to grind the trigger tip off as it was fouling the guard.  Red ball on end of rod is from an xmas cracker puzzle.  No takedown lever or lanyard ring as yet.

SAS
[snapback]1212598[/snapback]​
Looks amazing, as always.

Will that trigger guard actually hold the weight of the gun?

That particular one can no problem, it is milliput (which sets really hard & strong) surrounding an aluminium frame.
If (and its a big if) I cast it in resin, then it would probably hold the weight but wouldn't be a good idea to dangle it from for any amount of time.

SAS

Originally posted by Sidewinder@Mar 27 2006, 12:34 PM
That particular one can no problem, it is milliput (which sets really hard & strong) surrounding an aluminium frame.
If (and its a big if) I cast it in resin, then it would probably hold the weight but wouldn't be a good idea to dangle it from for any amount of time.

SAS
[snapback]1214053[/snapback]​
Thanks. I was just wondering if you would be able to handle the gun without snapping anything important off. :D

I've got a couple of parts sets to do for members here (you know who your are). So i've had to put finishing my own gun on hold at the moment. Tsk, some people eh? :)

Anyway, here is a lanyard post update:
[attachmentid=7463]
Or a towball for a very small trailer.

SAS

Finished the takedown lever (non-functional), placed in position:

[attachmentid=7483]

The lever has a small tab on one end that push fits into the wedge and a slot needs to be milled for it in the Denix barrel part (shown) and frame part (not shown).

Final mods to do are put a groove in the Denix's cylinder to give the impression it comes apart (see pic, post #10), and round the square edges on the nine 'strikers' on the cylinder.
As seen here:
ff12.jpg

SAS.

Does anyone know, was this LeMat converted to fire cartridge blanks? I don't think he ever actually fired this gun on camera, did he?

I do remember seeing it field stripped, and that there were brass cartridges lined up.

I am enjoying seeing the progress on this project, by the way. Thanks for all the posts and photos.

Njc----------------------

I believe the $pendy Calvary versions that you can get from places like Cabella's do in fact fire blanks because they are used for re-inactments.

-Ss

Doesn't he also shoot tatoo-face in the leg with it on Train job? You know when he was half doped up on the stairs in the cargo bay?

Originally posted by ssdesigner@Apr 6 2006, 10:06 AM
I believe the $pendy Calvary versions that you can get from places like Cabella's do in fact fire blanks because they are used for re-inactments.

-Ss
They're actually full-blown blackpowder pistols.

From my research, it appears that they had a converter on the cylinder so it could fire modern blanks on screen. I checked the more well-known maker of converters for other revolvers, but either they were being quiet on having one available for the LeMat, or the one on the show was a custom job by the weaponmasters.

-G

I found the same thing as paradox, there seem to be no commercially available converters for a lemat, but the one in the show has definitely been converted.

Originally posted by Sidewinder@Apr 6 2006, 04:54 PM
He shoots one of his old gang in the foot with it in 'Out of Gas'.  You can see a puff of smoke come from the gun.

SAS
[snapback]1221079[/snapback]​
We don't actually see the gun fire, though

With an actual LeMat, all they'd need to do is put a percussion cap on the nipple and fill the chamber with a little black powder (sealed to keep it from spilling out of course)--cock & fire and you've got bang & smoke.

If you run that scene through on pause like I did, you can clearly see it fire.

SAS

Originally posted by Pretzellogic+Apr 6 2006, 11:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pretzellogic @ Apr 6 2006, 11:39 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Sidewinder
@Apr 6 2006, 04:54 PM
He shoots one of his old gang in the foot with it in 'Out of Gas'.  You can see a puff of smoke come from the gun.

SAS
[snapback]1221363[/snapback]​
[/b]

OK, so he actually does fire the gun a couple of times in the show.

Yeah, a blackpowder gun would be easy to make fire "blanks", but I do know that conversions were done in the real world on some black powder guns to fire cartridges. And for films, if the gun has to be fired a lot, in many takes, I can see them converting it over for ease of reloading.

wow totally enjoyed the detailing of converting this gun into jaynes, wish i could afford one :( ah well will have to do with a resin one still kick ass either way keep up the awesome work

Originally posted by Sidewinder+Apr 7 2006, 08:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sidewinder @ Apr 7 2006, 08:19 AM)</div>
If you run that scene through on pause like I did, you can clearly see it fire.

SAS

Originally posted by Pretzellogic+Apr 6 2006, 11:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pretzellogic @ Apr 6 2006, 11:39 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Sidewinder
@Apr 6 2006, 04:54 PM

SAS
[snapback]1221363[/snapback]​
[/b]
[snapback]1221623[/snapback]​
[/b]

Crap, I was supposed to quote the OTHER post. Serves me right for not getting enough sleep.
<!--QuoteBegin-sulla

Doesn't he also shoot tatoo-face in the leg with it on Train job? You know when he was half doped up on the stairs in the cargo bay?[/quote]
THAT time we don't see the gun fire.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back