Firefly Jayne Cobb costume

toddgetz

I have started assembling a Jayne Cobb costume. I have the Jaynestown hat on its way, I have the knit hat, a resin replica of the sidearm should be ready by September, I am going to make a resin replica of the bowie knife. I have found leather workers willing to make the sheath and wrist cuff. I have designed a POLIZEI patch for the parka, based on DVD screen grabs, and have found a vendor to make it. Would there be any interest in copies? Please excuse the watermarks but I put a bit of time into this already.

polizei_new.jpg

Wow, the blu-ray stills are so much clearer than my dvd. I looked at what was at that page and I am ashamed of all the work I put in this now.

Last edited:
I am redesigning my patch based on the blu-ray stills. Theirs is pretty good but I do not think the background was olive drab. Every still I see has more blue in it.

- - - Updated - - -

I got the tan hat worn in Jaynestown (and other episodes) yesterday. It is a great match and now I need to break it in and dirty it up.

I have continued the process of making a Jayne Cobb costume for the 2017 comic con season.

I have started by getting a real knife, and have it sent off to be cast in resin. While waiting on that I have taken to making the gaiters.

gaiters2.jpggaiters1.jpg

I also ordered a river belt, the holster, a korean ware era ammo pouch, a leather wrist cuff. I used screen grabs of the tan shirt with asian text on the chest to get a custom shirt made. I have a wonderful Boo replica from the great guys at Alchemy Arms, and I am in negotiations with Arctic Arsenal to get a sheath made. The coat will have to wait, even though I have the patches for it. I also have the hat worn in Jaynetown and Train Job, as well as his knit hat. Still trying to source the gloves.

Unfortunately I only contracted to get one police patch made. I still have the photoshop files and will gladly make them available to people interested.

Last edited:
if you watch the pilot episode 'Serenity' when the crew is meeting with Patiences, Mal tells Jayne to go off and look for snipers;

Jayne pulls away the guy laying down with the rifle but if you notice he's wearing the hat Jayne is later wearing in 'The Train Job' and so on.

i like to think as Jayne was leaving, saw the unconscious dude and of course Jayne being Jayne was like "that's a purdy hat, I think I'll take it."

Hahah just something I noticed and thought was funny IF that's what the case was. Heheh

Great detective work Risu

i always thought the Jaynestown hat was WWII one, which is what I got for my Jayne gear. So glad to know I wasn't too off there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that detail.

But no, they're different hats. The Jaynestown hat is a US WWII military hat, the Train Job hat is this:

https://www.filson.com/tin-cloth-wildfowl-hat.html

There are several differences. He wears the Filson hat again in Trash, but I think he only wears the Jaynestown hat once.

The Jaynestown hat is the filson hat. He has it buckled under his chin or in other various states. It is the same hat as the other episodes.

filson1.jpgfilson3.jpgfilson2.jpg

The Filson/Train Job hat has two D rings for a buckle, the WW2 hat has a military slider, like the type on Mal's suspenders. That buckle can be seen in your pictures, but here's a full sized one to be a little bit more clear.

http://www.naufragio.it/il-tempo-di-leggere/serietv/Firefly1x07.jpg

The seams on the top of the head are also different. For reference, here is the WW2 hat:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DBIAAOSw1x1UQN9r/s-l300.jpg

Anybody want to discuss the weird variant of the German police parka he wears in all 3 episodes? That one's been puzzling me for 6 years.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back