Firefly holster detail request

Techcetera

Can anyone provide a picture or pehaps a description of the inside of Mal's holster?
I'm not sure how far down inside the holster the finished (hair side) piece that forms the belt loop should extend; it's unclear whether that piece extends all the way down the fold line to the open muzzle area or if it "feathers" or tapers once it is out of view - obscured by the 'front' of the holster body.
It seems that it forms the center of the triple-thickness where the stitching is but does it cover the entire inner 'back' surface?
Thanks for any insight. (pun intended)

Maybe this will make what I'm asking a little clearer.
Or not.
I'm wondering if the piece that forms the belt loop is shaped more like Option A or like Option B.
Thanks again.

I plan to practice and develop the contours using fairly rigid thin plastic (crazy carpet). Once I have the dimensions and shape correct I'll have a pattern to transfer to leather. I'll make that available to anyone who's interested. I won't be starting for another couple of weeks though; currently at work and I don't think I'd have gotten through security and on the plane with a pistol-shaped chunk of plastic in my luggage. (Stupid diiamond mine)

Boy, did I get the color wrong!
Well, it only took me a few hours to build, once I figured out the pattern - I only started on the leather this morning. Perhaps I'll make another.

It looks like you patterned it off of the QMx holster, try taking a look at promo images of the real thing if you want it to go from 95% to 100.

I Just bought the qmx's version of mal's pistol the other day and was looking for a pattern. I'm planning to eventually go to a con as mal. Your red version of the holster does look good. Here is an image i found in my search for references on it. I don't know it it will help you most likely have seen this already but i figured i would throw it out and see if it does. Anyhow looking forward to seeing your final pattern.

holster_4_1.png

It looks like you patterned it off of the QMx holster, try taking a look at promo images of the real thing if you want it to go from 95% to 100.
I happen to know the amount of research and work that went into the QMx holster and am somewhat curious what 5% you feel is inaccurate about it?

I happen to know the amount of research and work that went into the QMx holster and am somewhat curious what 5% you feel is inaccurate about it?

That's what I was wondering too. Don't get me wrong, Risu knows his stuff and is an excellent leatherworker himself, but I thought the QMx holster was just about as close to a screen used prop that you could get...because it was patterned directly from a screen used holster. Down to the stitch lengths as a matter a fact.

I'm curious too, I guess.

Oh, and great looking holster Techcetera!

It's been a while now since I made my own pattern, I remember that there were small inaccuracies better than I can remember specifically what they are. As far as the pattern goes, I want to say the curve at the front of the bucket opening is slightly wrong, when compared to pictures from the visual guide. Then there's the belt buckle, but that's not really related.

Also I'd just like to say that I have no interest in getting into another fight about this. The "big dogs" have already chewed me out pretty good about my opinions on this. I'm not one to keep them to myself, but I'm not a fan of arguing on the internet, either. I have nothing against Badger's work, he did a fine job on the holsters.

Certainly not trying to start an argument, just curious what you feel is inaccurate. The QMx holsters were made after a huge amount of research and many prototypes to ensure it matched as closely as possible. Shooting you a PM. :)

Hey Risu, it's certainly not my intent to get in an argument either. Really! :) Please know that. With how much research I've done on this particular Firefly costume the last couple months, I was just surprised to hear that there was an inaccuracy to this particular piece.

I was legitmately curious as to what you noticed as inaccurate (which you did your best to answer in my opinion) because I know you've got some serious skills with leather. I just like hearing informed opinions on things like this. Must be why I come here. :)

It's been a while now since I made my own pattern, I remember that there were small inaccuracies better than I can remember specifically what they are. As far as the pattern goes, I want to say the curve at the front of the bucket opening is slightly wrong, when compared to pictures from the visual guide. Then there's the belt buckle, but that's not really related.

Also I'd just like to say that I have no interest in getting into another fight about this. The "big dogs" have already chewed me out pretty good about my opinions on this. I'm not one to keep them to myself, but I'm not a fan of arguing on the internet, either. I have nothing against Badger's work, he did a fine job on the holsters.

I didn't think either of you was going to start an argument, I was just putting that out there before anybody else decided to.

Yeah, I get that. After watching too many threads devolve into nitpicky, useless arguments on here, I can understand being wary of that.

To get back on topic, I would love the QMx holster, but I love seeing people on here make their own. It inspires me to try some DIY projects (like Mal's coats, maybe boots). Great job again, Techcetera!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back