Finn's Leather Jacket

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Indy Magnoli, Apr 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We'll probably start working on our version of this shortly, but I can't seem to find any good shots of the back. It's part of the Anaheim display, so someone must have taken a photo of the back...

CCwUFl2VAAMoCBf.jpg

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

RooBee and Mara Jade's Father like this.
  2. clembot

clembot Active Member

See if you can get someone to take a photo of the materials/fabrics, too - the Rey costume has a comprehensive list of which costume item/prop is made of what material.

3. chuck2003

chuck2003 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  4. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am extremely interested in that jacket. I'm also interested in where it originated in the story. Finn has possession of it even when he is in his armor. It is very similar to a a custom Star Wars flight jacket that I have been envisioning for years now.

[​IMG]

5. Indy Magnoli

Strange that they say the jacket is nubuck... doesn't looks like nubuck at all. Nubuck has a suede-like finish, but this jacket looks to be a smooth full-grain. Chuck, those photos are great! Just what I needed... stay tuned!

6. Husker75

Husker75 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got some more very detailed shots I took today. I have crap connection right now but can put some up on Sunday for you if you want!

mvanwalks421 likes this.
  7. Indy Magnoli

Yes, definitely... or if it's easier to e-mail larger photos, you can send them to Indy_Magnoli@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Sent from my Android via Tapatalk

8. chizbot

chizbot Active Member

Indy, have to be hating those sleeve ribs! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. RooBee

RooBee Active Member

10. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[strike]I wonder if that really is leather.. The sleeve ribs look the same as on the new X-wing pilot's flight suit, just in a different colour.[/strike]

Edit: It is leather. The sleeve ribs are just strips of leather laid on top of each other like shingles.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  11. Mara Jade's Father

Any idea what those metal parts are?

12. Husker75

Husker75 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sent you the pics by email! Hope they help!

13. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

I was thinking of modeling and printing the metal greeblieson his jacket, Indy, do you need anything like that or plan to do it all in-house?

14. Indy Magnoli

I was planning on leaving the greeblies off, letting the customer take care of it themselves (the same plan for our Starlord Jacket). So, if you want to start developing them, it'd be a great idea!

JJ Griffin likes this.
  15. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Will get on it tonight! Love your work, btw!

16. Indy Magnoli

Here's our initial prototype:

[​IMG]

I've photoshopped a few tweeks that we're going to make, but this will give you an idea of the direction we're going...

Kind regards,
    Indy

17. Mean Obiwan

Mean Obiwan Well-Known Member

Looks great to me! I've been pretty fastinated with this jacket since I first saw it. I wouldn't mind owning one ;)

18. MasterEdi

MasterEdi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sweeeeet!!!!...... Looks fantastic! ... Can't see the outside of the sleeve, do you have the crazy layer thingys?( .. I know very technical terms I'm using here) ... Are you going to do Hans?.... Oh soooo want that one!!!!
    image.jpg

19. Indy Magnoli

Yes they've got the crazy layer things... just revising now and will post photos in a few days. We'll do Han's jacket as soon as I can get a few more better images.

-Indy

20. Mara Jade's Father

A few questions;

Are re the red areas red leather or red paint because I think the real jacket is painted.

Regarding the metal hardware and the areas where they attach. Are you allowing for ways to properly attach the hardware if found or replicated?

21. Indy Magnoli

The red areas are actually red leather and red strapping. Yes, I agree the originals seem painted, but I think that's an example of the "prop" versus "real world" debate. If someone wants to paint there own, we can certainly leave those parts tan, as they'll all be made-to-order.

As for the hardware, the only issue is going to be that vertical strap on the chest. Again, for those who plan on adding hardware, we can leave the bottom of this piece unstitched by request.

22. Mara Jade's Father

I see what your saying but I see the red paint coloring is intended to be custom decor added by the owner. A type of decor added by WW2 military aircrew and Motorcyclist. Of course they usually do images.. in the Star Wars universe it seem like people use color panels as personal identifiers (X-Wing Helmets, Clone troopers Armor) I'm pretty sure that LFL could have come up with the money for red leather is they wanted to. I believe the paint and its weathering was an intentional visual choice. That's just my humble opinion.

When you say chest, do you mean center the or left breast? Either case, it looks like whatever those pieces are, you need to be able to have access to some sort of entry to add them because it does not look as if those item as are pinned or riveted directly on to the leather.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion. If you are not willing to create the doodads, maybe you should work with someone who is... or at least someone who is willing to create a 3D file and sell them on Shapeway.com. At least this way you have some sort of reference for how they might hook onto the jacket.

23. Indy Magnoli

The center piece, I was talking about. The breast has a relatively loose piece of canvas that the greeblie could easily be pinned to.

JJ Griffin mentioned in a post above that he'd be working on these...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  24. Mara Jade's Father

Since the real item is unknown, you may be right about it being pinned. However, when I look at it, that breast panel looks as if the material is some sort of canvas strapping and those straps are strung through the mystery piece. Once again... I don't know anything for sure. It's just my take on what I am seeing.

25. Indy Magnoli

Yeah, could be...

26. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking at the pics in the close-ups in the German gallery of pics, I'm certain you are correct. All of the metal greeblies are threaded onto the jackets like buckles on straps.

Mara Jade's Father likes this.
  27. Mara Jade's Father

See how it looks like there might be at least 3 straps... possibly elastic behind the greeble?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  28. Indy Magnoli

Yes, we'll have three straps in that breast "pocket". Leaving these straps loose for whoever wants them as such is no problem at all. Just make sure to mention this when you order...

29. Mara Jade's Father

Can we see the back of your prototype?

30. Indy Magnoli

Here you go:

[​IMG]

31. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Indy, would you mind sharing with us the dimensions of those "greeblie" straps so that if/when we decide to model them for 3D printing we have some idea about what size they should be to be compatible with your jacket (which I assume, given the high quality and your reputation, will be the go-to jacket for aspiring fans ;)?

If you'd rather not share that info I understand. Not suggesting a formal partnership or anything, of course! Just hoping to get a baseline for how wide/long they need to be IRL.

32. Indy Magnoli

Sure, once we finalize the design (which will be posted here when it's ready), hit me up again for those specs and I'll post them here.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  33. Mara Jade's Father

Lots of detail in. Quite impressive.

To me it seems like the belt length might be shorter as to allow the back to gather more when compared to the display. Not sure if that's it but there seems to be something going on back there.

Also, any shots of the prototype being worn? On the form, the length looks long but I realize it might just be perspective.

34. idiotbyte

idiotbyte Active Member

Based on the behind scene footage from SDCC today, Poe is seen wearing the jacket when he is captured.

35. Mara Jade's Father

This? Is that Poe?

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 10.35.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 10.44.09 PM.png

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  36. idiotbyte

idiotbyte Active Member

Yes. That's Poe.

37. Indy Magnoli

A couple more WIP shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is coming together fantastic

39. idiotbyte

idiotbyte Active Member

It looks fantastic. Will it be ready before December?

40. Indy Magnoli

Yes, hoping to have this added to the site by the end of this month.

JJ Griffin and animefan like this.
  41. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

42. idiotbyte

idiotbyte Active Member

Oh man. That's so awesome. My poor, poor wallet.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  43. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Just saw a pic of the new TFA poster from D23. Now I really want to do this version of Finn! @Indy Magnoli, any chance it would be possible to get one of these jackets in-hand by DragonCon (September 3rd)~?

44. MasterEdi

MasterEdi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic, Amazing, Beautiful work!!! You sir are a master of quality!... With that said, I'm a old guy, I need the Old guys jacket. Any word on Solo's digs?... My pennies are about ready.

45. Indy Magnoli

JJ Griffin You have a PM. ;)
    MasterEdi, we'll be doing Solo's jacket as soon as I'm happy we have all the info to do it accurately.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  46. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Indy, just noticed some differences between your last round of progress pics and the screen jacket. I apologize if you're already aware of these issues (I'm sure you are) but I figured I'd point them out anyway!

issues.png

47. Indy Magnoli

The tacking is definitely on the other side, so because of the buckling I figured it must be on this side too... but in that shot I'm not so sure. That stitching will be corrected...

JJ Griffin likes this.
  48. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Here's a couple more up-close shots:
    Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-126.jpg Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-125.jpg

Comparison to opposite shoulder:
    Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-124.jpg

Honestly it is hard to tell, and I don't know nearly as much as you do about which way would be "better" :(

49. Mara Jade's Father

I do not think that is tacking, I think it is the end of the stitching detail of the shoulder peaking out from underneath the trim.

the one shot above shows good detail of the placket and how it needs to be so the buckle can be added.

the red panel is interesting. The top stitching is not red from the paint but there is slight bleed over of the paint on the other pieces of the jacket near the panel. So it looks like the panel was painted after at least some construction and the the stitching added.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  50. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

I assume best thing to do would be produce it WITH tacking, that way customers can just cut it free if they want? My concern about not tacking them down is if they will crease/"bubble" up as a result of being worn and moved in, which will make you look like you have mini-caves on either shoulder, you know~?