Finishing Firefly Serenity Build- Life Sized- Need Help Crowd Sourcing

RodRage

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Trying to get finished with a project that we have been building for the past 6+ months trying to get it wrapped up. I found most everything that was "critical" to the build, but missing some things that I want to find just to make it "right". The space we had for the build was limited to the structure of the existing layout and we built it to focus on the parts of the ship that were most used in the series. Sometimes, adjustments were made to accommodate the scale... i.e. the hallways were 5 feet wide and not 8.5' as on the set, so the iconic sliding airlock doors are a bit more narrow unfortunately. The entire build is a mash up of the ship into a space of @1800 sq ft as opposed to something that was 3-400 meters long. We have had some help from some former members of the original set production, but want to see if we can at least see if anyone can find things that have become "unobtanium". Much of the progress is on a quick IG site @buildingserenity that one of my guys posts some of our work in (yes, we need to ad updates), but we are getting close to finishing the structure and almost to surface finishing and weathering the skin. Once were in that phase, I want to get the little details that we haven't found yet. Any help will be much appreciated. The pics don't show everything that we've collected, so I'll get a list together soon and post it to see if we can find what is left. Thank you for your help.
Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 8.32.56 AM.png

Holy cow this is epic!!! I just checked out your IG photos and this is amazing. I've always had a dream to convert my office into a serenity build. This is just pure awesomeness!

Here are two of the pieces were are still trying to source for the bridge.... Sorry for the terrible photos. They were originally used on the main console of the pilot side (3rd) deck that would sit directly in front of Wash. They are 'probably' from a Boeing 707,727 or 737. Not sure where to start for a description part number etc. I DO have the one that was installed on the far left radio selector (came off a 727). The center and right panel are driving me crazy trying to find them. Any help is VERY appreciated!
IMG_5850 copy.jpg

IMG_5851 copy.jpg

IMG_5852 copy.jpg

Again- SO sorry for the fuzzy pics. I'll add two more that are a little clearer.
Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 7.41.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 7.40.48 PM.png

Last edited:
Here is a set of container/dispensers that were shelved over the pantry. Can't find ANYTHING even close. Possibly a limited run of roto-molded containers that may or may not have come with the dispensers.... (could have been added later). These are the RED and YELLOW pieces. To be honest, I'm not even sure what the other items are, but aren't as important as the red and yellow containers.
Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 4.36.45 PM.png

Not sure if any of these pics will help. Its part of what was left of the ship when it ended up in its final resting place.

Attachments

• DSC05186.JPG
    DSC05186.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 226
  • DSC05195.JPG
    DSC05195.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 266
  • DSC05197.JPG
    DSC05197.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 213
  • DSC05250.JPG
    DSC05250.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 228
This is pretty cool. I got a chance to visit the SERENITY set during production and was there most the day watching them shoot (until at least midnight).
Also saw River (Summer) do the fight scene.
Before filming began that day, I was able to tour the entire "ship" on the sound stage.
It was a "once in a life time experience" I will never forget.
Image32.jpg

Image47.jpg

Serenity_corridor1.jpg

Serenity_center.JPG

Serenity_bridgeRIGHT.JPG

Serenity_bridgeLEFT.JPG

KAYLEES_hold.JPG

KAYLEES_hamic_engineroom.JPG

galley2.JPG

engine_room_left.JPG

engine_room_entrance.JPG

Aug03-12.jpg

Aug03-10_1.JPG

Last edited:
Looks impressive, or at least, it did until Instagram kicked me out for not having an account. I thought you were another screen name for the guy building a full size serenity on the Firefly props FB page that Yellowjacket mentioned.
That FB page is an attempt to reconnect a few of the folks that used to "hang out" at the old www.fireflyprops.net site that has disappeared. On that now-gone site was yet another Browncoat who was building a 1:1 scale Serenity set as a den. He posted the following pictures

An overview

pan1el_zps4qyfxssv.jpg

panel

Pilot-LeftSide.pngoriginal_zpsujepjonc.png

panel

Panel%209_zpsf4pyvcy2.jpg

panel

Nose_zps7ep9pqbc.jpg

panel

Overhead_zpsojedgrww.jpg

panel

Middle%20Console_zpsamzun0tt.jpg

panel gap

Eggs_zpsao9zdthe.jpg

switch

Switch_zpshkzo8r1n.jpg

Keypad

KDT%20480_zpsyfri6csd.jpg

Keypad

Keypad_zpsttsbuq4h.jpg

camera port

Cam_zpsccsabkci.jpg

shuttle panel

shuttle%20c_zpsb5zxjgz4.jpg

and just 'cause it was in that group Jubal Early's ship

Joystick_zpsu1blvcph.jpg

Here is a set of container/dispensers that were shelved over the pantry. Can't find ANYTHING even close. Possibly a limited run of roto-molded containers that may or may not have come with the dispensers.... (could have been added later). These are the RED and YELLOW pieces. To be honest, I'm not even sure what the other items are, but aren't as important as the red and yellow containers.
View attachment 1273676

The containers sort of remind me those restaurant/bulk containers of Ketchup and Mustard.

Looks impressive, or at least, it did until Instagram kicked me out for not having an account. I thought you were another screen name for the guy building a full size serenity on the Firefly props FB page that Yellowjacket mentioned.
That FB page is an attempt to reconnect a few of the folks that used to "hang out" at the old www.fireflyprops.net site that has disappeared. On that now-gone site was yet another Browncoat who was building a 1:1 scale Serenity set as a den. He posted the following pictures

An overview

View attachment 1273943

panel

View attachment 1273944

panel

View attachment 1273945

panel

View attachment 1273946

panel

View attachment 1273947

panel

View attachment 1273948

panel gap

View attachment 1273949

switch

View attachment 1273950

Keypad

View attachment 1273951

Keypad

View attachment 1273952

camera port

View attachment 1273953

shuttle panel

View attachment 1273954

and just 'cause it was in that group Jubal Early's ship

View attachment 1273955
SO much help with the two panels.... now I have a start to find the right pieces. Thank you! Might be the same as the FB page Yellowjacket mentioned... One of my guys has posted allot of our progress over the past few months.

MORE HELP NEEDED.... Thought I had one these found and and not sure why the seller bailed on me, but I'm not out any cash, so all is good. The other is not what I thought it was. Looking for BOTH of the panels... IDs, Names, Numbers, (ANYTHING)!....Any help is greatly appreciated!!!! PS- Anyone in production remember what the "VIN" plate under the twin vertical screens was from?
Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.12.49 PM.png

Thanks Mike- Yeah, I seem to remember few things on the site. Allot of the easier finds were off the movie set.... We're actually trying to replicate the series sets (as a mixed grouping of the general areas of the ship). The one thing we decided to use from the movie set was the "Cargo Wall" in the new "Lounge" from the footage. This gave us a good area to introduce a cargo area without having the floor space needed for multiple pallets of netted goods. I mixed it with the wall pattern from the show, so it gave it the same feel. If I have the time, I need to finish the wall. We added a Huge flat screen TV over the Cargo Hold to make it a useful room, and it hides itself well in the wall pattern. Most people don't even notice the TV.... They're a bit stunned when they see the progress of the build.

This is really amazing. Browncoats are the best!

So obviously you won't be able to perfectly recreate every aspect of the interior (multiple levels seem out & you already indicated that the hallways will be narrower), so what kind of layout are you looking at for this? For example are all the sets on the same level going to be connected?

Also, is this going to be a static set or someplace where people can tour?

This is really amazing. Browncoats are the best!

So obviously you won't be able to perfectly recreate every aspect of the interior (multiple levels seem out & you already indicated that the hallways will be narrower), so what kind of layout are you looking at for this? For example are all the sets on the same level going to be connected?

Also, is this going to be a static set or someplace where people can tour?
There are 3 levels to the ship (all connected).... 2 are parallel- but on opposite sides of the cargo (main) area. The two hallways (one for the 3 bunk rooms and on entrance hallway with the 1/2 bath) are on each side of the mess hall/pantry/lounge and cargo wall. The cockpit/bridge is also on the elevated level- and only accessible by the stair-ladder. I guess it's hard to tell from the pictures on the IG page, but the build out is pretty much completed. We are finishing the bridge, accessories and some furnishings.....we are also putting up the ribbing on the ceiling to give it that "hull look". Once everything is in place we will spend several weeks "aging" the surfaces (right now it looks like a brand newly painted ship and needs to show some hard age. We will try to post some more pictures as the progress continues...The med bay is almost complete (In our world that's JUST the chair, the exam light and the medical try table (due to the small space)).

Has anyone id'd the two computers that are bolted to the canopy truss overs the pilot deck? It's the little white box above the pilots head and the data terminal (keyboard just to the left) of the white box. Again, ANY help REALLY helps. Thanks.
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 5.27.42 PM.png

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back