Finished: Partisan X-Wing (Pic Heavy!)

Attirex

Saw maintains a small squadron of six X-Wing fighters dubbed Cavern Angels, which operates out of the caves near the Cadera Catacombs. The pilots swap parts between semi-functional fighters to make one or two reliable vessels. Limited supplies of astromechs and hyperdrive parts keep the Cavern Angels in usage.

--Star Wars Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Had a lot of fun with this build. Revell re-boxing of the Fine Molds kit (and all the good and bad that brings). I know my heavy weathering is prob not to everyone's tastes, but figured these craft were really beat to heck...and then got blown up by the Death Star. Oh well. Thanks for looking, and sry for crappy smartphone photography!

nPXa0Rv.png

28871Iu.png

Jgw9jt1.png

9jmbwH5.png

yXb48vy.png

Pxcs9kt.png

uiEvWpS.png

Yjpbrck.png

V9wPSB0.png

796dx27.png

hs4V5Zu.png

wyWGQd8.png

o5ju1ZA.png

td0km54.png

qTJTTk7.png

wTfAMpl.png

ofvGnV6.png

fBiGU2N.png

Ov1waTe.png

I'm a traditionalist with regard to paint schemes and weathering patterns, but your weathering is hyper-realistic.

Well done...

I love the color scheme and the weathering looks appropriate for a second hand type of ship that spends a lot of time on Jedha

I'll echo the other comments: weathering looks perfect. Weathering shouldn't be generic. It should tell a story. The fact that these X-Wings have even spottier maintenance than the rebels justifies how they look. Perfect job.

Very cool! I love the size of the old FM 1/48 kit. How did you tint the canopy glass? Looks great. You've done well!

SB

Thanks, guys! :) :D

Tint was nothing more than spraying some thinned Tamiya Smoke on the inside of the canopy. Not exactly a smooth finish in there, so don't look too closely. ;-)

And totally agree Hunk a Junk--weathering tells a story. Every little scrape, bump, and gash was caused by something during a mission (or during maintenance or transport or...) so I try to go for that look.

Is this an official paint scheme? At first I thought you just went for it with a bit of nice bg story, but then I saw PHArchivist post above with what looks like a collectible diecast x-wing with a similar paint scheme. Not that it matters much - I was impressed by both the paint scheme and your weathering. So much so in fact I want to try a similar paint scheme myself. :) Inspiring stuff.

Is this an official paint scheme? At first I thought you just went for it with a bit of nice bg story, but then I saw PHArchivist post above with what looks like a collectible diecast x-wing with a similar paint scheme. Not that it matters much - I was impressed by both the paint scheme and your weathering. So much so in fact I want to try a similar paint scheme myself. :) Inspiring stuff.

Didn't know the history (again, I'm a traditionalist), but that's exactly what it is...

Thanks for the kind words!

The scheme is "official" only in that it appeared in R1 twice (blink and you missed), so that plus I'm a huge fan of splinter camo and the X-Wing = had to do it. (y)

As someone said in another forum, too bad they weren't shown in flight.

Anyway, here's a couple of screen grabs....

hexSl6f.jpg

L4eLt1c.png

Very nice. I did a Bandai kit with this paint scheme right after Rogue One came out. I found it difficult to find any photo reference for the bottom of the x-wing.

Very nice. I did a Bandai kit with this paint scheme right after Rogue One came out. I found it difficult to find any photo reference for the bottom of the x-wing.

There is a micro machines version as well as a a Fantasy Flights X-Wing game miniature in the Partisan scheme. They could be good enough references as they are most likely based on source material like CGI assets

Yeah, there wasn't a lot out there at first, so I waited a bit for builds to trickle into Google. So to give credit where credit's due, I used this gentleman's work (Lee Stringer) as reference:

LINK

Lots of good pics. Not sure of the scale or if it's a scratch built, but really nice, nonetheless.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back