FINISHED! Ckings 1/38 scale TIE FIGHTER

STEVE THE SWEDE

Sr Member
Hi all! I Can't tell you how incredible thrilled I am to finally be able to post again here on the RPF! It's been far to long and I truly missed this incredible place of so much talent! Hopefully some of you old timers still remember me, for all who don't here's a short intro. My name is Steve, I'm 39 years old, I have wife and 2 kids (8 and 5) and I live in northern Sweden. I used to call this place my second home and have had the privilege to be involved in some rather neat projects during my stay here over the years. There's been so much stuff going on in my life the last few years that I haven't been able to do anything prop or model related. The truth is that if it wasn't for Chris King, commissioning me to finish up he's latest project, a one of a kind, 3-D printed, 1/38 scale TIE Fighter, I probably would have stayed in my black non building hole!

I would very much like to share the building of this unique kit with you guys! Be warned tough, I'm very rusty, everything takes double the time it used to and I no longer have access to a workshop. As a matter of fact it's a true kitchen table project as that's literally where I'm working on this. At the kitchen table!

On to the kit!

The kit came printed in two types of plastic. A sandy white flexible material for the wings and the fine transparent quality for the hull and details. The hull had already been primed by Chris which made it very easy for my to see what needed to be done. I imagine it being really difficult to pick out any details in it's original transparent form.

Due to some issues with the computer file way above my knowledge to try and explain the body print suffers from a fassett effect. I tried to reduce this with sanding sticks. It proved to be very difficult due to all the details printed into the hull. I was VERY frightened that I would destroy them by accident in the sanding process. I always knew that I would never bee able to remove it all, but I did my best to tone it down as much as I dared to. I was actually quite surprised that appart from this no other clean up was required on the print. Something I'm not used to having spent most of my time filling air bubbles on Studio Scale resin kits.

Taking a break from the hull I started on the wings. Being made from the stronger but much courser white plastic they were very different to work with. A completely different media compared to the glass like plastic used on the hull and detail parts. The transparent plastic is so brittle it'll break and snap if you just look at it the wrong way. The wings are completely different, strong and very flexible but lacks the sharp details of the hull. Since all this shapeways plastis is a completely new material for me I've decided to use Citadels Warhamer Chaos black as a primer. This stuff is just liquid gold and I always use it when I'm uncertain of the quality and characteristics of the material. This stuff bites on everything and goes on super smooth! I truly recommend it! On this build it will also dubble as Koolshade black.

The not so fun part..... Sadly (and god knows Chris tried) Shapeways printer could never produce the stars and Koolshade material separately. Instead the wings had to be printed all together as one sandwiched layer. All of you who have built one of Niessens old SS kits knows what I'm up against! Masking TIE wings are probably what you'll be made to do in the lower levels of hell. It just takes forever. Remember that all steps have to be repeated 24 times!

5 fun filled hours later! Finally ready for the main coat. I'm using Tamiya Haze Grey for this build as it seems to be the accepted and RPF approved color for TIES.

With the masking material pealed away the final result could be seen in all it's NOT so glorious finish..... Lots of bleed thru due to the funky Koolshade texture. Hand painting with enamels where tried to even things out but with even worse result. Enough with the wings, I'll deal with them later.

Back to the hull with a pic proving that this truly is a good ol' fashion kitchen table build! Chris and his 3-D modeller have done an absolutely AMAZING job making this model. Even more so thinking that it's a one of a kind, never meant to be made in more then one copy! However, there are some details that (fully understandable) have been missed or left out. I have offered Chris to try and replace the ones that bugged me the most.

The "LASERS" have been drilled out and fitted with brass inner barrels. Since this isn't a SS model we figured we could ditch the ridiculous looking orange transparent tips and go for the barrel fitted ROTJ Interceptor look. I've also scratched the missing belly details from trusty Evergreen styrene sheets. Dry fitting the now primed canopy and dashboard, looks kind of promising!

Adding more missing details scratched out of styrene sheets. I also replaced the Ion engines (I always thought they look and appeared like brake lights) with 3mm brass tubes for a more detailed look. One of them had also shattered due to me looking at it in the wrong way so there really wasn't much of a choice anyway.

Once again using Citadels black primer. Just like the original ILM built TIE's I opted for a black primer hoping it will add a pre-shade quality to the final finish. Sadly tough (or good depending how you look at it) primer shows everything you missed in prep face. To much of the original texture can be seen around certain details that was hard to reach with the sanding stick.

Back to sanding.....

New primer and a much better result!

Finally all covered in Haze Grey! What an amazing color, it worked so well over the black primer creating subtle shadings. Everything that's been said about Haze Grey is true. It completely changes hue depending on which light it's in. Going from a dark bluish grey to a pale light grey in sharp lighting. No wonder there's been so many opinions about how dark or light a TIE should be. Sadly tough I've apparently looked at the hull the wrong way again and shattered the end part of the left strut! The fine plastic quality sure produces fine details but it's nightmare to work with due it's tendency to shatter like glass.

Rebuilding the damaged part with Milliputty and sheet styrene. Good as new!

More Haze Grey and the hulls main coat is finally finished. Couldn't resist snapping a pic with black primed canopy and dashboard again. Am I the only one who thinks the darker ROTJ TIE's and Interceptors kicks ANH and ESB butt!? Chris, you sure you don't want to go ROTJ!?

Sigh...back to the wings. Reversed masking to add more black which will be followed by a Koolshade re-masking and more Haze Grey. This better work this time!!! On a side note I might add that these wings due to their course surface drinks paint! Believe it or not, I'm counting 3 Haze Grey cans so far on this project. I think I read it here in a thread that two was more then enough to cover a SS sized TIE.

Well, thats it for now. It's been great sharing the progress with you so far. Please check back in a week or so for more updates.

Cheers,

Steve.

Last edited:
Re: BUILD THREAD Ckings 3-D Printed 1/38 scale TIE FIGHTER

Hi......and welcome back... I remember you... This tie fighter project looks beyond amazing !!! Would you take on the new Force Awakens Tie?

You've done a great job there....cleaning up a 3D print like this is no easy task!

Hey Steve welcome back!

GFollano

Wowee zowee, what a great way to return to the RPF! I missed you and your incredible builds as well Steve.

Welcome back!

Steve! Fantastic to see you back here and I'm thrilled that my project is the reason for your return! You've done a phenomenal job on this project so far and the additional details to the main hull look awesome. It sure does look cool with the black cockpit window frame but I'm a sucker for ANH so I'm afraid the black appearance can only be temporary. LOL.
Thanks for all your efforts and dedication to this. This project has stumbled at many different stages so it's a real thrill to see it so close to the finish line now and looking SO good!
Cheers,
Chris

Sadly not. The cost of the 3d prints (not to mention the MASSIVE headache that it was to get 2 usable wing prints out of Shapeways) means that there's no way anyone would pay the price to get these parts printed. I could have purchased 2 EFX studio scale TIE's for the price that this project has cost but I got so far along with it that I didn't have the stones to just cancel it. I'm glad that I didn't because Steve is doing an AMAZING job on this and I'm really excited to display it next to my Kotobukiya X-Wing model.

Can we expect a run?

Really impressive 3D printed model and what a immense sanding work. Top job sir.

Thanks for the response, Awesome!

METALLBOY, taking on other commissions at this time is sadly not possible. At least not until our new house is finished sometime during the end of summer 2016.

Another really cool things about this TIE that I forgot to mentioned is the scale! IMO, it's just the perfect scale for collecting and displaying. If you've been into aircraft modeling you can compare this to the 1/32 series. Big enough to allow awesome deals, small enough to be able to display. Sure the 1/24 lines (in this case would compare to SS scale) is impressive and all but way to big to display in mass. If I got a modeling license I would launch a 1/32 Star Wars line in a heartbeat! So much cooler then the IMO way to small 1/72 and 1/48 series that Fine Molds and Bandai is going for.

Cheers,
Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the response, Awesome!

METALLBOY, taking on other commissions at this time is sadly not possible. At least not until our new house is finished sometime during the end of summer 2016.

Another really cool things about this TIE that I forgot to mentioned is the scale! IMO, it's just the perfect scale for collecting and displaying. If you've been into aircraft modeling you can compare this to the 1/32 series. Big enough to allow awesome deals, small enough to be able to display. Sure the 1/24 lines (in this case would compare to SS scale) is impressive and all but way to big to display in mass. If I got a modeling license I would launch a 1/32 Star Wars line in a heartbeat! So much cooler then the IMO way to small 1/72 and 1/48 series that Fine Molds and Bandai is going for.

Cheers,
Steve.

Sure, if you have the space for it then this is the perfect size. For me everything above 1/44 is a no go:lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Very Nice!

I know all too well how much work goes into this bird.
3D printing has gotten so prolific in the past 3 years.
Folks often dont realize how expensive it can be ...and that there is still a lot of "bench" work to do , sanding and finishing the print-outs even on the hi-Rez outputs.
I have off/on tendinitis (tennis elbow) these past 10 years or so -- because of 3D-Printing! , I do more sanding and finishing than ever,now,
...but also get a lot more results because of these RP technologies

The Wing Hubs look great!
lots of work goes in that section of this ship

Nice Job on the Kool shade too!

Yeah, with 3D printing you have to make sure that the rounded features have a high number of polys/subdivisions otherwise you get the facets because there's no smoothing like what you see in a 3D program.

I agree with you Darthviper.

The biggest mistake I see, is the Fidelity ( or lack there of) in the mesh itself.
There has been so many cool Movie related props popping up in 3D for public consumption on lights like Thingiverse etc. in the last 2 to 3 years.
But even among the more accurate items the number of facets is too low.
As 3D printing gets more main-stream, part-time "makers" are learning they need more than average PC memory & processing power to accommodate the higher resolution of polygons.

For example my second TIE ball which was Poly-modeled (all quads) - started with a "control" sphere that had 360 (x 360) facets around, when finally printed, we subdivided it one level.
That translated to a 1/2 degree inclination per face, well below the "radar screen" of the very hi-resolution it was printed ( around 14 microns) . It would probably have looked fine printed with no subdivision at 1 degree change in angle on a curved surface. and Still had some sanding and finishing work to do.
I actually take into account the sanding wish subtracts from the final surface and roughly 2 coats of primer which adds some back to the final surface height/thickness.
It took some practice over the years but Ive gotten pretty precise this way.
The particulars can change, depending on what printing process & what machine you plan on using.

The other big mistake is people chose the wrong type of 3D/Stereo lithography process for the wrong subject.
FDM machines are fine for big subjects ..but their resolution sucks unless you want to wait days (or weeks) for a build.
You really need to "pad" your surfaces to allow for all the finishing work or adjust chamfers, fillets , gaps and seams if you plan on filling in the grow patterns with the various build-up primers available.
There's good video on the 3DP website showing the latter technique.

Hey any pics of the final Assembly of this cool bird?

embarrassed to say this was all my fault. Cking and I knew that this was going to be an issue fairly early on, as the model I was refining (which I'd also built) was for a low-poly use , and was not originally designed for printing. At the time I didn't have the power or know-how to retopo the faceted cockpit surface without destroying the delicate geometry of the details already attached to the surface.... We talked about handing it off to someone who did have the ability to fix it, but time and budget became prohibitive, if sanding was a viable alternative.

That was a fun read, Steve The Swede. And a good looking build.

Check out your local hobby shops and see if you can find some swizzle stick sanders. They're great for getting into tight corners and hard-to-reach places.
Also, you could try using thinned black enamel to get into the corners of the kool-shade. Let capillary action do the work for you.

I've found that very fine steel wool works well in taking down stepping on PolyJet prints. Sanding sticks are also a big help, but Harbor Freight diamond files get the most use from me.

Oh .. That Tie!!! Chris , happy to see that you're gonna be able to finish it!!! Following this now with great interest!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back