[FINISHED ]Bandai Y-Wing - Red Jammer

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by StevenBills, Aug 30, 2015.

1. StevenBills

StevenBills Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Alrighty folks. 'Tis the season for building the Bandai Y-Wing, it seems, and I'm jumping on board. I recently built the Bandai 1/72 X-Wing as Blue Leader, and I needed a Red Jammer to go with it, so that's what this is going to be. I'm using the pics over at Modeler Magic that Steve Neisen took a while back of the original Red Jammer as reference, while looking at the Studio Scale Jammer that Jason built a while back as well, and sort of coming to a happy medium between the two. I also haven't decided yet if this will be an "idealized" Red Jammer (since it wasn't really completed yet when it got shipped over to the UK in '75), or if I'll be adding a red ring around the other engine cone as well. We'll see. With that said, I'm not going to be super picky about the parts: this will be an OOTB build, with red paint instead of yellow. Anyway, enough meandering. I had some time to work on it yesterday:

P1120617_1.jpg
    This kit has some pretty great details for how freaking small it is!

P1120618_1.jpg
    Masking off the canopy windows... I want a version with glass, and one without, so that required me to do some masking!

P1120619_1.jpg
    Getting it all laid out to paint.

P1120620_1.jpg
    It's interesting that Bandai decided to mold these parts instead of making them a decal, but it shouldn't surprise me too much, because of the red molding on the X-Wing. Oh well. Gotta paint it the base coat and then the red color (that I still need to decide on. Any ideas?), because there is some chipping in the red. one thing that I hope to do with this build is to paint as little coats as possible onto the model, for the sake of preserving the details. I ended up with about 14 layers of paint on the X (I wanted those darn massive, gaping panel lines to go away!), and thus some of the details went pretty soft. Oh well, you live and you learn.

P1120621_1.jpg
    All painted up. I decided upon using Model Master FS36492 Light Gray. It's warm-ish, but not as warm as Camo Gray. The blue canopy and engine parts are now gray, as are the yellow plastic markings.

P1120623_1.jpg
    Now we come to the L'Eggs parts, where there is some chipping going on. Both sides are different, but they share a black coat underneath it all (I think). Sprayed black, and then added some salt for the chipping. Crossing my fingers on this one.

P1120633.JPG

And that's where I've left off this weekend. Hopefully I can get more done tomorrow!

SB

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Dart likes this.
  2. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Re: Bandai Y-Wing - Red Jammer WIP

This is going to be cool. Did you ever post your Bandai X-Wing?

3. StevenBills

I didn't, no. I can post a few pics here after work for those interested, though.

SB

4. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We're all interested!

5. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Yeah, I'd like to see it.

6. StevenBills

Okay here are some shots I took this evening of Blue Leader. Like I said earlier, I applied like 27 coats of paint, which made a lot of the details soft. And my painting could improve a lot at this small scale. It was tons of fun to build, though, and I picked up another because I decided to make Blue Squadron. Ignore the droopy cannon. Decals courtesy of Jason Eaton.

IMG_8997.jpg

IMG_9004.jpg

IMG_9003.jpg

IMG_9002.jpg

IMG_9001.jpg

IMG_9000.jpg

IMG_8999.jpg

IMG_8998.jpg

IMG_8996.jpg

IMG_9005.jpg

IMG_9008.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

IMG_9010.jpg

IMG_9012.jpg
    SOFT DETAILS!!!!!11one!1

IMG_9013.jpg

IMG_9015.jpg

IMG_9016.jpg

IMG_9018.jpg

IMG_9007.jpg

IMG_9021.jpg
    Really like this one.

Anyway.

SB

newmagrathea and Dart like this.
  7. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Cooooool.

StevenBills likes this.
  8. StevenBills

Re: Bandai Y-Wing - Red Jammer WIP [UPDATED with Blue Leader Pics]

Yep, it was a fun one. Back to the Y though.

I couldn't sleep last night so I masked off the second L'Eggs cone first with liquid mask, and then with some salt around the edges to give it some more chipping.

P1120636.JPG

P1120635.JPG
    I guess I got a little salt-happy at 3am. Ha

P1120637.JPG

Painted it this morning and removed the salt and mask. Turned out pretty okay, I think. Those cones are both the same color, it's just that the shadow is harsher on the one on the right because it's closer to the desk lamp.

That's all for now!

SB

Dart likes this.
  9. astroboy

Looks good!

My Y-wing was the first model I ever did using chipping effect.

Just a warning....it can get away from you...FAST

Attached Files:

Dart, StevenBills and SofaKing01 like this.
  10. StevenBills

Haha that's some good advice, astroboy. The Red Jammer doesn't look too beat up though compared to some of the other Y-Wings, but I'll be careful not to let it get away from me.

SB

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  11. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Cool cool. How did you like the salt technique?

12. StevenBills

I like it a lot. I feel that both salt (depending on the scale of the model) and liquid masking have their places. On this model, since it's 1/72 scale, I think that table salt works great for chipping like this.

SB

13. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Keep in mind also, that various salts come in different sizes. For 1/72nd scale stuff, I use salt packets from McDonalds because the grains are smaller and more in scale.

StevenBills likes this.
  14. StevenBills

Noted.

Not really sure this warrants an update, but I've got the parts that need to be painted red all masked off with tape and salt for the chips.

P1120836.JPG

P1120835.JPG

P1120837.JPG

Next time you see these, they'll be red!

And speaking of the red color, I've seen a LOT of variations for this bird, from straight-up dark red, to almost orange, and everywhere in between. My question is, what should I go with for this bird? It's smaller in scale, so possibly red with some of the base coat mixed in so that it's lighter?

Any help would be appreciated.

SB

15. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, generally the smaller a model is, the 'lighter' your paint job should be. Small, dark / saturated models don't have realistic 'scale.'

If it helps, consider it to be a way of simulating the amount of air in between you and the 'real' object. Standing right next to a real car / tank / aircraft? Not so much hazy air in between you and it. If the real 'it' is so far away that it appears to be the size of a toy / model, then there's a lot of air in between you two. That slightly washed out appearance is what you're trying to capture.

There may be a specific term for this, but it escapes me at the moment.

-MJ

16. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Atmospheric Perspective?

StevenBills likes this.
  17. Mike J.

Sounds good, I'll take it! All I could think of was zenithal lighting, and I know that wasn't it.

18. dragnink

dragnink Well-Known Member

This is a great little kit. While he'd like to remain anonymous, I know the CAD artist that was tasked with handling most of its design--he used original kit parts as reference. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

StevenBills likes this.
  19. StevenBills

Oh that's cool! Well tell him he did a great job! This kit goes together incredibly well, and the detail is astounding for something of this scale. Kudos.

And about the atmospheric perspective, yes, I believe that's the correct term. I'll try some red with a drop or two of yellow, and then a drop or two of the base coat and see where that gets me.

SB

20. astroboy

The one thing I noticed when I saw the red jammer at the exhibit is that yes, the paint is red, but it looked as if there was a layer of dust on it

21. StevenBills

Yeah, it's hard to tell under 40 years of dust! And for that very reason, I went a bit darker with mine. Mixed red, yellow, light gray, and black. Turned out a bit dark, but I'm going to shoot the model with a very thinned down version of the base coat when everything is done, just to help unify everything. The photos make it look darker than it actually is.

P1120839.JPG

P1120841.JPG

Hope to get some more building done tomorrow!

SB

22. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Lookin' good!

StevenBills likes this.
  23. StevenBills

Small update: I had some time this afternoon so I masked off all of the parts that needed to be yellow, like the canopy, and the front end of the engine. I used liquid mask for these parts, and I really like how it turned out (although there is salt in the first pic, it fell off before painting because I accidentally touched it whilst taping it to the cardboard backing). The yellow is about 7 parts white to 3 parts yellow. It'll get some more weathering, don't you worry.

P1120843.jpg

P1120854.jpg

P1120855.jpg

Then I fit the head together with the red markings, and laid the canopy on top just to see...

P1120851.JPG

I'm liking how it's coming so far, and then I moved onto the bottom side...

...and I about had a heart attack. You see, there is a little piece that acts as the landing gear cover that I had carefully set aside on a piece of blue tape, thinking to myself, "This sucker ain't going ANYwhere." Well, the iPad that I look at reference on was standing on the table and leaning against the wall. Well, it was at too steep of an angle, and the iPad fell over, scattering all of the little pieces onto the floor. I managed to scrounge around and find everything except for that darned landing gear cover. It's tiny. Anyway, after about 15 minutes of solid looking, I picked up the garbage, and started sifting through...

P1120845.jpg
    Does anyone see it?

I'll give you a hint:
    P1120845_Circle.jpg

I FOUND IT!!!!!! Right there in the trash, still stuck to the piece of blue tape.

So after the rescue mission, I needed to figure out how to secure the hatch solidly enough to stick, but still be able to be handled without falling off. This is where some amazing neodymium magnets come into play. These suckers are small (The ones I'm using here are 1/10" in diameter and 1/32" thick) , and strong. So I glued one into the space where the landing gear goes, and one onto the tip of the hatch, and it sticks beautifully, even though the magnets aren't touching.

P1120852.jpg

P1120850.jpg

And the best part is, that the landing gear still fits into the slot perfectly. No trimming needed or nuthin'. Worked like a charm.

That's all for now!

SB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Mike J. likes this.
  24. StevenBills

Small update: Started putting the body together, and I'm really enjoying it. This kit goes together really well!

P1120858.JPG
    This is where I left off last night.

P1120860.JPG
    Some of these pieces are itty-bitty!

P1120861.JPG

P1120862.JPG

Next up is the pipes on the body, which I'm not really looking forward to.

Anyway, that's all for today!

SB

Mike J. likes this.
  25. Mike J.

Be very careful with the pipes on the body; somebody else snapped a few trying to fit them on there. Maybe have some wire or stretched sprue handy.

-MJ

StevenBills likes this.
  26. StevenBills

Yes, I indeed found out that these babies are tiny, and will break if not applied carefully, fiddly little buggers! Finally finished adding the pipes to the body, and now I think I'm cross-eyed haha.

P1120869.jpg

P1120865.jpg

P1120866.jpg

P1120867.jpg

P1120864.jpg

Moving onto the engines next.

SB

27. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Dat detail! :D

28. StevenBills

The macro lens isn't very forgiving, that's for sure!

SB

29. StevenBills

Woah. Turns out having a kid turns things into a time warp. This model has sat on the shelf gnawing at my brain for the last year-plus, and since that time I've stripped the paint several times because I wasn't happy with it. Also finished my basement so that I could have a dedicated hobby room, etc...

SO.

I basically started back at zero on this guy, which gave me a good opportunity to start over with Tamiya acrylic paints. So for the base coat of the body I sprayed AS-20, which is Insignia white. The red markings on the head are just straight up Tamiya red with Winsor & Newton chipping fluid to get the chips underneath. The salt just wasn't doing the chips in-scale, and I wasn't happy with them. The copper on the pipes (I know not all the pipes on Red Jammer were copper, so shoot me) is mixed with a bit of flat black to make them a bit more grungy looking.

red marking chipping.jpg

canopy chipping.jpg

copper pipes.jpg

After these photos were taken, I assembled the engines onto the body, hit it with three coats of PFM, and then let that sit overnight. Today I started applying decals as well as some basic weathering. It's hard to not be too heavy-handed with these small ships, but I think subtlety is the key here.

Also, has anyone ever heard of weathering with watercolor paints? I tried it for the slightly brown-ish looking wash on the right nacelle, and it came out better than I thought it would.

More pics tomorrow.

SB

newmagrathea likes this.
  30. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

I've heard of weathering with water colors but I've never tried it. I think I'm going to try chalk pastels on my next project.

31. StevenBills

Here are some more pics from where I left off last night. Forgot to snap the canopy down before I shot these, but such is life.

You can see the watercolor brown-ish wash on the right nacelle in this pic.
    IMG_9226_small.jpg

KK8A0026.jpg

KK8A0030.jpg

KK8A0028.jpg

KK8A0027.jpg

KK8A0031.jpg

KK8A0029.jpg

Today it's more decals and then sealing them with a few coats of PFM. Also, just remember that this isn't strictly accurate to the Red Jammer studio model. I just loved the red and yellow color combination on that bird, so I thought I'd do an interpretation of it myself.

Thanks for looking.

SB

Mike J. likes this.
  32. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

I recently experimented doing the "oil dot filter technique" with Vallejo Model Color instead. I simply used like 3 drops of Retarder Medium with one or two drops of paint. Suddenly, the acrylics behaved like oils. It worked great.

newmagrathea and StevenBills like this.
  33. StevenBills

Re: Bandai Y-Wing - Red Jammer WIP [UPDATED 12/30/2016]

Relatively on topic: I shot some LEGO models that my brother made today, and to test the backdrop/lighting setup/camera settings, I used my model:

camera test.jpg

And here are a few shots of his LEGO models, if anyone's interested:

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

IMG_4149.jpg

IMG_4190.jpg

SB

Pcoz and Mike J. like this.
  34. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Re: Bandai Y-Wing - Red Jammer WIP [UPDATED 12/30/2016]

Looks great so far!

As far as watercolor washes, I haven't tried them simply because being water soluble, I would be afraid of it running when apply acrylic washes or even a sealant. I could be wrong though

I typically stick with oil washes/filters to achieve the same effect. I just thin the oils down with Weber Oderless Turpenoid

I also use acrylic washes. It helps to use something like rubbing alcohol to thin or, or to add just a touch of dish washing liquid if using water to thin it to help break the surface tension and avoid those "rings" when it dries

35. StevenBills

Did a little bite more, and now I'm calling it done. Like I said earlier in the thread, this is a loose interpretation of Red Jammer.

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9055.jpg

IMG_9054.jpg

IMG_9044.jpg

IMG_9042.jpg

IMG_9041.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9039.jpg

The rest of the images can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskS67QMN

Thanks for following along.

SB

Attached Files:

Pcoz, blakeh1, Mike J. and 1 other person like this.
  36. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

* man, they are all impressive builds. I love them all!!

Chris

StevenBills likes this.
  37. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Nice job!

StevenBills likes this.
  38. StevenBills

Thanks guys, it was a fun build.

SB

39. Toadmeister

Toadmeister Sr Member

Love it, great subject and markings choice.

Did think it reminded me a little of Ronald McDonald with those colors! Respect, not a criticism.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

40. SithSim

SithSim Active Member

Great work!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

41. ecl

ecl Sr Member

very nice!! Love the copper colored piping details. This kit is by far one of the best Star Wars model kits out there. The detail is immense.

42. Blomson

Blomson New Member

That looks great, can I ask what colours you used for the grey of the body?

43. StevenBills

Yes, the colors are as follows:

- Body/Engines/head: Tamiya AS-20 Insignia White
    - Pipes: Testor's MM copper mixed with black 4:1
    - L'eggs cones: white
    - Gray chipping: Tamiya XF-20 Medium gray
    - Red markings : Tamiya red
    - Yellow: Tamiya yellow

Weathering done with watercolors (the brown sludge on the right nacelle), blast marks done with pastels, and then it was all sealed with MM acrylic flat coat.

Thanks for looking.

SB