FINISHED Arcann/Thexan Lightsaber (SWTOR)

JaxAndTheMoon

Sr Member
Hello again!

I've made a couple threads with some simple builds (and one not so simple), mostly pertaining to Graflex's and a couple other things. But today, I thought I'd officially start a thread for a project that I've been working on for some time now.

I love Star Wars video games, and as I've mentioned before on this site, the new expansion for TOR really got me into serious prop building. It was the first time I ever attempted to model anything in my life and it was a great experience. Since then, I've learned a lot of things, and started to take a look at the twin Prince's Arcann and Thexan's lightsabers. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to go off of, except for a few in trailer screencaps, and few in game ones, and then a hand full of slides that showcased the art work for Bioware during an unknown event.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I love yellow lightsabers. The first time I played KOTOR, I ran the entire game playing with a yellow saber, so to see one finally being used for a character in an awesome cinematic was awesome! (Also, the Jedi Temple Guards have cool yellow sabers too!)

So I broke out my pen and paper and began doing some really, REALLY basic sizing estimates using graph paper

Then proceeded to design a crystal chamber reveal for it, basing it off of the in game scene of them building their sabers and the concept photos

So I came up with some pieces, simplifying some areas for realistic building.

Now at first I thought, I should shorten the mid grip because it seems a little long. So I did, and at first I liked it, but then I grew to hate it. It didn't resemble the grip from the actual saber at all except for the fact that it had a small cut out of it. So I updated the the bottom hilt and the grip to make a more accurate saber.

That looked way better, everything was finally coming together! So I went to work designing a removable crystal chamber that would also act as a housing for all of the electronics (minus the the LED).

It's a simple chassis that would hold the speaker, and 2.1 mm recharge port and house the Nano Biscotte V3 soundboard under the chamber! Simple and easy! So I began building the crystal chamber, and designed it as I saw it from the photos.

Super simple turned aluminum pieces and small brass rings can make a pretty decent chamber! Here's how it is all put together

The chamber is covered by a simple cut away piece that is held securely by the lower "hilt shroud' piece, that way it's all held together for a little bit of twirling fun! When you remove the hilt shroud, the piece simply pops off, revealing the chamber for a beautiful display!

That's currently all that I have! The pieces are currently being 3D printed in super high resolution, and once they arrive I will be casting them in Aluminum to get some nice metal parts! I will update semi frequently with small things here or there!

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Re: Arcann/Thexan Lightsaber (SWTOR)

Fantastic work! This has been one saber I've been after for a while now. Are you willing to share/sale your .stl files for the 3d printer?

Fantastic work! This has been one saber I've been after for a while now. Are you willing to share/sale your .stl files for the 3d printer?

I haven't really thought about it, but perhaps I might post them up on Shapeways for the community to access if they would like

Please do! Your the first person I've seen trying to make this saber, and so far your work is just amazing. I look forward to seeing your final product. And i hope to see your files on shapeways.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing it come to completion. Hopefully my plans fall into place with this and it turns out as good as these renders!

I just felt something in my underwear.........

Amazing work! We need a run of these! I would BUY!

I think the curvature of the body needs tweaking. If you look at the final model and the rendering of the internals, you can see that the neck is pinched by way of a cut-off section on each side, as if the 'saber body has been sliced along it's length to remove that ovaloid section, mirrored down it's length.

In profile, the cut-away is almost imperceptible (see "Final Model" image) but the top-down view clearly shows the magnitude of the neck pinch. Rather than being formed (or deformed?) the cylinder has been cut-away on some curve to make the narrowed neck. This is reflected in the concept art too...

Image incoming!... :)

J-Sabers-4_zpsqcgvfhej_CUTAWAY.jpgJ-Sabers-3_zpslo74qmwr_CUTAWAY.jpgJ-Sabers-2_zpsvh9dgbp1_CUTAWAY.jpgCUTAWAY.jpg

I think the curvature of the body needs tweaking. If you look at the final model and the rendering of the internals, you can see that the neck is pinched by way of a cut-off section on each side, as if the 'saber body has been sliced along it's length to remove that ovaloid section, mirrored down it's length.

In profile, the cut-away is almost imperceptible (see "Final Model" image) but the top-down view clearly shows the magnitude of the neck pinch. Rather than being formed (or deformed?) the cylinder has been cut-away on some curve to make the narrowed neck. This is reflected in the concept art too...

Image incoming!... :)

In game for Thexan (DLC/Exp.): https://torcommunity.com/images/weapons/saber/mtx03_a01_v01.jpg

There's definately a seperate pinch from the bottom, to bring a curve in, but it's slight and seems secondary to me.

Perhaps two slices (one either side) angled in toward the bottom, then a third across the bottom edge to bring in the bottom edge completely?...

This is really hard to convey... >.<

View attachment 590508

Another pretty good reference! You can see the cut-away cross-section quite well!... http://tor-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Thexans-Lightsaber-Stowed.jpg

You're right! The saber does pinch off super tight as shown by the top down view. For this project though, I designed it to house internals, since I didn't want to just have another static prop lying around my place. So in order to compensate for the internals, I had to use the mid body section to house the battery pack, which required me to sacrifice total accuracy for realistic building tolerances for battery housing. Plus, since it's going to be a 3D print, the structural integrity of the print would be compromised if the neck of the mid body was that thin. Having to heavier pieces on either end of it would cause unwanted stress on the piece and most likely cause it to break when swung around, especially if there was ever a blade on the end of it that was anything more than a super thin show blade. You are correct though!

Re: Arcann/Thexan Lightsaber (SWTOR) *With New Pictures of the Print!

Alright so the 3D printed pieces have been completed! There's still some clean up work to be done before they get to me, but I can't wait to get them in my hands!

That looks really awesome so far

Thanks Jax. I'd love to get a copy of your saber to add to my collection.

I'll see what I can do! I'll definitely be more open about it once I complete this baby

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back