Finished 2015 Mag conversion - *New* progress pics, page 3

lukebrynycz

Sr Member
Well, here goes my spare time over Christmas!

I decided to replace the god awful crumbly 'leather' strap. I'd like to point out that this is the only mismanufactured part of Marks shoes and that on the whole, they are very accurate and well designed, especially considering that they were made a long time before the 'original'.

There's lots of fabric/textile stores around Leeds/Bradford (guys who live here will know!) so had a quick look around, and soon found some perfect excellent quality white leather.

Disclaimer: This shoe is purely for myself, and is no way a copy of the recent Nike release. Its quality won't be a patch on their work, but i'd like a wearable shoe for my favourite trilogy of all time and unfortunately, i'm not rich!

Soooooooo. first step of a long process:

29538347.jpg

16661260.jpg

17384388.jpg

I have designed them so that on both sides they will feed on the inside and be hidden for a clean look. They are also folder over top and bottom and fabric glued on the back to be neat and be a bit tougher.

Next step: Elastic laces and recovering the shiny silver lycra with a matte silver lycra. Laces under will give correct effect.

Last edited:
Re: Another Mag conversion

Hey dude, sound job so far. Looking forward to seing your progress. I'm just getting started on my conversion too. Would be interested to see the fabric you're looking to recover in.

Also, have seen your comments on another thread and agree that find a place that sell the right EL panels in the UK is proving impossible. Did you order yours from the US in the end?

Hey dude, sound job so far. Looking forward to seing your progress. I'm just getting started on my conversion too. Would be interested to see the fabric you're looking to recover in.

Also, have seen your comments on another thread and agree that find a place that sell the right EL panels in the UK is proving impossible. Did you order yours from the US in the end?

Cheers :thumbsup

I'm actually now thinking of getting rid of the shine on the lycra by using some fabric dye OR white vinegar and a toothbrush. The material is actually really nice to wear and the shape is pretty accurate. If that fails, I'll simply recover with a matte silver/grey lycra instead as it molds well.

As for the EL strips, all UK suppliers bang on about how you can't cut it yourself blah blah, they have to cut it and add expense etc. It sounds like the tape light we have here only has 2 contacts installed, hence them not allowing customers to cut them. Brad kindly pointed me to a fully cutable EL sheet that has multiple contacts running along so that you can cut it yourself. Here's the one he and I have ordered:

E-Luminates

I'm just wanting 2 tiny 9v inverters but again, nowhere in the UK will entertain me as I'm wanting to use them with other peoples EL tape and they won't condone or even sell me them for this purpose. Their loss, no wonder the UK economy has fallen over :rolleyes

Ok, got the EL sheet ordered from eBay today. A5 cuttable sheet should do the trick for both soles and strap light. Hopefully will arrive in a week or two.

Nobody in the UK sells the cuttable sheets yet, you US guys are ahead of us on this one (and China!) so unfortunately going to have to wait for the cuttable stuff.

Defo agree, US and Asia have a lot more available. Been to the usual Maplins and the like but cant find much! Do you mind posting/messaging the link of the EL panel you ordered?

Defo agree, US and Asia have a lot more available. Been to the usual Maplins and the like but cant find much! Do you mind posting/messaging the link of the EL panel you ordered?

lol, the guy in Maplins looked at me funny and said "we don't have that in the UK really" and was even more confused when I said that you can cut it. Even lightape.co.uks Mike (one of our main el sellers in the UK) said that to cut it you need a special tool and only they can do it for a fee etc.

Here's the one that I bought. As you can see, it's classed as blue but it's clearly a blue-green-turqoiuse which is perfect:

EL Panel Sheet Pad Back Light Display Backlight DIY cut | eBay

I calculated that the soles will be 1.5" height x 5.5" length, and the straps will be around 1" heigh x 2.5" length. I measured an A5 sheet and there will be plenty of space on one sheet for all 4 bits, just be careful.

Nice one mate. Yeah same, I went into Maplins and on hearing the word 'mini portable Invertor' the guy kindly showed me towards something that was about the size of my PS3! Cheers! haha

Now to start creating the ditch inside the sole to store the battery/invertor. :confused

Thanks for your help dude.

Nice one mate. Yeah same, I went into Maplins and on hearing the word 'mini portable Invertor' the guy kindly showed me towards something that was about the size of my PS3! Cheers! haha

Now to start creating the ditch inside the sole to store the battery/invertor. :confused

Thanks for your help dude.

Lol, our mini inverters are huge, you'de need to be doing a welly not a shoe.

No worries lad, it's what forums like this should be about, I'm not one to hide stuff. If you're ever over Leeds way bring your finished shoes ;-) grab a pint and be nerds with Mags hah

Ok, so i've found a few fabric places in the UK that sell the fabric for this. I've decided to go for lycra again as it's easier to stretch around the shoe. This one is a matte finish! I'm simply going to cover Marks shoe to get rid of the shine and add some elastic underneath. Should be a little darker and not quite as blingy :lol

Fabric should be with me in the next week. This is gonna be fun! :confused

What I would have liked to have done is taken Marks shoes apart and reform just the toe section and then reglue them back together.

What I would have liked to have done is taken Marks shoes apart and reform just the toe section and then reglue them back together.

Damn Brad, when did you install a webcam in my spare room?! Lol. I was just looking at that earlier and if you bend the sole down so it's flat, it makes such a huuuuuuge difference in making it look like a trainer and not a workmans boot. I'm planning on doing just that when I wrap the shoe in a darker matte grey fabric.

If I can pull this off it wil still be fully wearable and be even more sturdy on the upper too as there will be another layer of fabric. It then gives me the perfect opportunity to add the elastic underneath too, I'll simply glue it very neatly over the shiny silver fabric.

One step at a time, once I'm happy with this I almost have all the parts required to do a full el sole and strap conversion. I'll be sticking with just the 3 LEDs, can't be arsed changing them to 12.

Neat suggestion though, masterminds at work ey ;-)

Fabric pen for the win, no need to change the fabric now. Pics tomorrow, off to bed and can't be arsed uploading on this damn iPhone ;-)

Well, here goes. This pen was like magic, it colours in lycra and you can rub the ink into the fabric to even the spread, yet you don't even get a trace on your fingers. It has taken most of the shine out of the lycra and given it a darker shade of grey/silver that looks great in real life and is more screen accurate. It saves you having to recover or reconstruct the shoe. :thumbsup I have begun the LED section conversion too marking the holes and popping the clear rubber part out.

I have also played around the toe section to make it look more like a trainer than a steel toe capped boot! I heated up the rubber sole and held it in position for a while to flatten out the bottom so that it didn't curl. I have no problem sharing my research for those interested:

As you can see, a great difference in colour and is more of a matte finish.

img1541hz.jpg

img1544h.jpg

img1545x.jpg

Last edited:

Cool!

I love the toe correction. That was a great idea to heat it up and reform it.

Not sure about the fabric pen. It looks good but it doesn't look uniform. Is there a wayt o go over it again and make it more uniform in color?

Cool!

I love the toe correction. That was a great idea to heat it up and reform it.

Not sure about the fabric pen. It looks good but it doesn't look uniform. Is there a wayt o go over it again and make it more uniform in color?

Cheers, just need to make a new inner piece to strengthen the toe and make it fully wearable again. It really does make a world of difference.

I haven't done the second layer on the fabric yet so it looks a bit grainy right now. The thing is, I was copying the one from the film so the grey is actually perfect and in real life the slightly blotchy effect looks quite cool actually, although darker than the Nike release. Once the second layer is on it will look like it has been dyed.

Last edited:

Ummm...aren't those the real NIKE MAG's???

:lol That made my day.

I couldn't help it, I contacted a guy on the net who had a fair few pairs. He's a top class guy who I've now kept in contact with. He was unfortunately in a bit of financial difficulty so I managed to get a pair at quite a good price..well, I could have bought about 35 pairs of good quality trainers but in comparison, a good deal. :cool

I now know what people mean when they say you can't judge their looks online fully. For real, they are just stunning and pressing that button for the first time makes you feel 10.

I'll still be carrying on with my Mag project though and staying involved in the community and try be useful. Yourself and few others here have really kept me entertained and had something to look forward to over the last few months and I genuinely can't wait to see your final shoe. It's very close to the real deal, can't wait until they are fully done. :thumbsup

Congrats Luke. I am waiting for that tyoe of situation also. I don't blame you.

When I find that person that will take $2500, then I'll get a pair.

Decided to finish off the shoe with the pen last night and stick the swoosh on. In real life it looks amazing, almost suede like material now. It looks a bit grainy on photos but looks very good when in hand and the shine has almost all gone. HIGHLY suggest others do this without having the faff of recovering or rebuilding the shoe.

You will need:

Fabrico pen (#181 cool grey)

I would highly recommend using Dave at Welcome : The Treasury

He doesn't have this pen on his website yet, but drop him an email and he'll sort you out!

Next step is to do both white straps (already got one done) to install with the cutouts for the front el logos.

Ignore the missing LED section for now! :rolleyes

img1575v.jpg

img1576dg.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back