FINISHED - 1:1 TFA Captain America Display

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by CaptainSuperman, Oct 25, 2011.

1. CaptainSuperman

CaptainSuperman Well-Known Member

I am working on a 1:1 Cap Display. I have the mannequin on its way (Pictured Below). My Cap Helmet (Pictured Below), my shield ordered (from Chris Fields) I even have plans to commission a bust to fit to the mennequin at the beginning of the year.

What I don’t have figured out is what suit to get. In fact I have only seen one suit (UD's) for sale that I have even considered. What other quality options are out there?

I am striving for the highest quality possible and any suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

Re: 1:1 TFA Cap Display - Need Help

nice! where did you get the mannequin? imma need one for my Batman

and I would totally go for the UD suit, that way you can even wear it

3. CaptainSuperman

I actually ended up getting it by luck. I searched "Nike Mannequin" in Google Shopping and it pulled it up on ebay. I paid an arm and a leg for it, but they are so hard to find I thought it was worth it.

I would just run that seach a couple times a month until you see somthing you like.

4. Looch

Looch Sr Member

I have a male and a female mannequin, as well as two male torsos. I used to work in a mall, and would find these randomly thrown out by clothing stores! Seriously, check you local malls, the loading bay garbage area!

5. CaptainSuperman

Re: 1:1 TFA Cap Display

So here is an update on the project. I purchased the suit (thanks Mike… I barrowed your Pic below), The shield should be finished and sent soon and I have commissioned Fettster to work up a Chris Evans bust for this project.

[​IMG]

I will add pics of the progress once things start coming in.

My next task is to start working up a stand for Cap to stand on. I am going to try to make this myself. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

6. ugameenough

ugameenough Active Member

nice work. cant wait to see more.

7. RAGE88

RAGE88 Member

Are you talking about a decorative stand? like a sort of scene for cap to be in?

8. CaptainSuperman

Actually nothing in the movie really stood out to me as an iconic scene or moment to try to capture. So I thought about making a metal looking stand/base for this to stand on with maybe an illuminated s.h.i.e.l.d. Or avengers logo between the legs.

I have a 1:1 Ironman so I thought about making one for it to stand on also.

9. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think this would be pretty cool...

[​IMG]

10. macogle

macogle New Member

Agreed. Something industrial would look great. The trailer for Avengers is full of ideas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have to know where you purchased your cap suit and shield.
    I've been looking all over for a vendor who offers a movie-quality replica of the costume though I may be looking towards having an "Avengers" style Cap costume made to have in time for the premiere.

12. CaptainSuperman

I am getting the shield through Chris fields. The suit I am buying from punishernc who altered a cosplay suit.

13. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Im hoping someone can nail the Avengers style Cap

14. SemperBourne

SemperBourne Active Member

your cap America looks awesome

On a side note: I know that the avengers has iron man, hawk eye, hulk, the cap, thor, ant man and some others but..When I Googled marvel and went to their site, I clicked on the avengers. It shows the current memebers of the avengers and the hulk is no where in the list...why is that? Sorry if I changed the subject but this reminded me of what I found.

15. CaptainSuperman

Thank you, I am looking forward to getting everything in and putting it all together. It looks like Chris and pinisherNC have done an awesome job.

On your question, I'm not sure. Maybe it has to do with world war hulk

16. SemperBourne

SemperBourne Active Member

hmm..maybe..i guess Ill research it

17. badass89

badass89 New Member

i posted earlier about one of those manequins. someone should make something for hero dispays like that and bring the price down. would work for everything from darth vader to batman. of course foam muscles and duct tape work good if you cover it up. i may use this one day

[​IMG]

sorry if it slowed your thread. lookin forward to seeing the result. and thanks i didnt realize they were made by nike.

18. CaptainSuperman

I picked it up today, you are very right the thing is awesome and would work for about any superhero project. (I'll post pics later)

The suit in the pic looks like an artsee, if so I used to have one and used it to mount a Lycra batman suit over, it looked pretty good I thought and was cheaper than a foam muscle suit.

19. CaptainSuperman

So the Mannequin came in last night and I got it all set up. This thing is huge.

I have attached pics so you guys can get a general idea of the size. The other mannequin was used for a superman I did a while back and it stands 5'9 with out a head.

The Ironman is about 6'1.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. badass89

badass89 New Member

i stood next to the nike manequin in dicks and i am the same size . i go 6'5'' 275 but not quite the cut as that manequin. close though and i used to be more cut before soccer t-ball and cubscouts .i had to cut that artsee1 from ankle to ankle and wrist to waist to get it on and off. i have been wanting to get my suits out of boxes and get them on display. vader, comic cap, and batman mostly. i got this foam suit last year from a guy on the loh he made it for me. i sent a duct tape manequin and he used 2 4x baltogs. about the same price as i see the manequins going for. that smaller manequin i have seen for about 150 shipped i think. just way to short.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. CaptainSuperman

Yeah, the suit came in today and was a bit smaller than I had expected, so I was not able to use that mannequin for this project.

The good news is, I had a smaller one in storage that worked (barely). After I make some adjustments such as paint the star, tweak the helmet, leather polish the belt, boots, straps & face mask the same color and get the shield in.

At that point I will only need to finish the stand and get the finished bust.

In the meantime here are a couple of pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  22. hellz manik

hellz manik Active Member

Re: 1:1 TFA Cap Display (Pics added 11-17-2011)

this is simply fantastic!!l life size all the way!!!

23. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice! Now get clearer pics dude. :)
    Let me know if you're going to part with the bigger mannequin.

David

24. CaptainSuperman

lol. my iphone 3g does not take good pics. I will work on getting some better shots in the next couple weeks.

25. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

I would love to see some clearer shots of that outfit, especially the gloves/boots. I've been wondering what the chinese captain america outfits really look like up close and this one seems to be modded well. Great display so far!

26. CaptainSuperman

Thanks, I will try to get my hands on a better camera tomorrow and take some better pics.

I think punisherNC did a lot of changes to it based on what I see on eBay vs this suit, but it looks like it was a decent foundation for him to build on.

27. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

It's funny you posted it when you did. Right around Halloween I saw it on his facebook and said, "I wonder how long before he sells it?" Then I saw it on here and you had purchased it. I got a good chuckle out of it. I think you have the makings of an excellent display. I'm a batman fan all the way, but the cap suit looks great!

-Matt

28. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

I also want to note I can tell he did some modifications for sure, I am just curious about which ones. Whose cowl are you going to get?

29. PunisherNC

PunisherNC Well-Known Member

Matt, you know me, man... I just cant hang onto a costume. :)

30. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Would you mind saying which costume you started with and what mods you had done? :)
    Not to hijack the thread but Mat, I'll be doing a cowl in the new year if you can wait. ;)

31. PunisherNC

Sure thing, it was this costume I purchased:
    Captain America: The First Avenger Steve Rogers Costume Jacket Pants Bags Cotton | eBay

I got the boots from a friend over the the LOH boards.

As far as customization, I added snaps around the waist line so I can tightly fit the white undershirt (which has a short torso) to the slacks. Secondly, We added elastic straps to the sleeve cuffs so they wouldnt bunch up under the gloves. I added a urethane star, added velcro to the belt to keep it exactly in place where I wanted it. After those customizations, it was time to get the suit filthy. I have a fire pit in the back, so most of the dirty look comes from ash and burnt wood to add lots of black lines. Added some red dirt, but not too much, the ash was absolutely perfect in my opinion. Thats really about all I did

32. PunisherNC

And I had Dale Morton create and install the leather headgear inside the helmet. How I forgot to add that is beyond me, cause its my favorite part of the suit, along with my shield

33. CaptainSuperman

I am not sure who made the shell, but I took the leather portion made by Dale Morton and added it to the shell I had already painted. Lucky for me the paint matches the suit pretty well. Below is an updated pic:

[​IMG]

34. PunisherNC

the helmet from my suit was from JesterFX

35. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

The suit looks much better in real life than the stock photos. Looking at this one really makes me want to purchase. Fin: definitely keep me posted. The leather work looks awesome on that cowl. I am jealous of your awesome display. I want a cap shield, but the prices are holding me back right now.

36. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is really outstanding. Mike, you did a nice job on the mods and weathering. Too bad it went out your revolving costume door again. :behave :lol

I've been keeping an eye on that suit and waiting to see what you made of it. Night and day transformation. :thumbsup

37. PunisherNC

HAHAHA, thanks, bud... Hey man, I'm a married, father of 3 little girls... I essentially have to use the costume I build to sell and buy the next. I dont have the luxury of keeping costumes if I want to make or buy another, lol. Once this "The Avengers" Cap suit is done, I am going to try and build a Magneto suit and see if I cant change that. Want to build a Punisher vest too

38. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey I know all about it. Married with 3 kids myself. ;) And I do not have a single costume at the moment. Really Matt and I are no better on the costume churn front. :lol

Sorry for the hijack. The mannequin you used has the right shape to really display that suit well.

39. badass89

badass89 New Member

that looks amazing let me know if get rid of that nike manequin.

40. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

:lol:lol:lol Too true, too true.

41. CaptainSuperman

I actually had to use the arms from the bigger mannequin for this project. I'm open to selling the larger mannequin but the arms won't match.

I'll post it in the JY later in the week.

42. PunisherNC

HAHAHA, no worries guys. :)

43. CaptainSuperman

Here is an update:

I painted the star on the chest a
    Metallic silver instead of keeping it white, I also painted some old Christmas decorations (stars) and added them to the shoulders to complete the 3D look.

I also made a decision on what to do for the stand. I will add some faux brick to the wall in the inset the display sits in and make a base that looks like concrete fore him to stand on. Behind the mannequin I will hang a few WWII war propaganda posters and if space permits a old crate or two with the old stark industries logo or SSR logo. Thoughts?

I also painted my Avengers style helmet (still need the soft portion of the cowl) and my M-1 Bucky rescue helmet (waiting on the goggles to arrive) to include on concrete colored corner shelves in the display. Any thoughts or suggestions are still welcome.

I have a new phone/camera ordered, so Tuesday I will take better pics of the suit itself and update as I finish the stand, but here is another shot I took with the recently finished helmet (I'm looking forward to getting the finished fettster bust to go under it)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  44. TurboTrey03

TurboTrey03 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

where's the suit from? looks great!

45. PunisherNC

WOW! I love it, man... wonderful job on the display. Looking forward to seeing the faux brick added in

46. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

looks awesome mate goood job!!!

47. CaptainSuperman

Thanks. I got my new phone in tonight and took a few new shots. I just looked at them and they are more clear, but very dark.

We are sleep training my youngest son, so he is actually temporarily sleeping in my prop room so I can't go in and take better pics tonight.

I will try to get some good clear shots tomorrow morning and get them up tomorrow.

48. StevenRogers84

StevenRogers84 Sr Member

Wow! That is looking amazing sir! You have my envy.:) I would love to have a 1:1 Display like that. Kudos man. Your living my dream!:lol

49. cavedwellar

cavedwellar Sr Member

Your whole prop room looks incredible.
    I wanna come sleep there too.:lol
    Great job on Cap!

50. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Fantastic display so far!! I love your ideas about the Avengers helmet and Buck rescue lid to be used on the display too. Can't wait to see more pics!! :)

Chris