Finding that "textured Mylar"

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I've been trying to find the same tape used on the Skywalker Ranch Saber. I'd rather find a real-world version rather than pay for a strip from online saber parts stores - does anyone have any info on it? Where do online services get theirs from?

LFA_LukeESBmid.jpgScreen shot 2014-08-05 at 8.07.44 PM.png
credit:whoever...took these?

I found these, I don't think they're correct but it's a starting point.

There's embossed silver tape by 3M - but this is a diamond pattern
http://www.grainger.com/product/3M-.../rp/s/is/image/Grainger/45J715_AS01?$smthumb$

and there's Scrim tape, which is reinforced with a checkered pattern. Silver Mylar Scrim does exist, in different sized patterns. I don't think this is small enough.
Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 7.39.32 PM.png

I happened to be in Hobby Lobby a few days ago, and I saw a tape similar to that. It looked like it could have been 3/4" or 1" wide. Matter of fact, I thought of this thread as soon as I saw it, but didn't think to get a brand name off it.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it online, it's just 3/4" chrome duct tape.

Last edited:
The textured Mylar tape was used in the graphics industry as far as I've found out ... just could not find a local supplier :cry

Chaim

Yes, but that strip is not a real-world part. The prop makers must have used something from stock rather than making a custom part. I'm still searching. I have something coming my way soon; I will keep you posted!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Here's what I received today, close, but not exactly right:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422285255.336198.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422285275.244980.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422285290.015537.jpg

It's decorative foil 'SoftMetal' from a brand called Alkor.
The dimples are too soft indeed and recessed instead of sticking out. The gloss is also incorrect: too mat.
All in all, not really promising.
The search continues!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Ah, so close! I never realized the correct stuff had outward protruding squares - good eye.

I emailed John over at Blast Tech for a source or any stock left. no word back yet.

Try searching for "embossed" silver foil tape instead of textured. Getting an exact match might be a real beast. I've seen loads of stuff that's close but not exact. Argh! Good luck.

Yeah, I definitely tried searching with "embossed", but without any luck. There are some Chinese wholesale manufacturers, but the minimum order quantities are enormous.

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Last edited:
Re: Finding that "textured Mylar"

Interesting site, that one. There is larger checkered scrim tape and then beneath it...similar sheets with protruding squares. No pricing, details or info though...hmm

- - - Updated - - -

Blast-Tech has some!

He does! I just paypal-ed him two days ago. Still looking for that real-world source

I have that exact pattern on some heat tape used to deflect heat from exhaust manifolds etc. It's used by plumbers as well. It also has the fibrous strands that the ranch saber has as well. I sold my race bike but have that tape around here sonewhere. Will look today.

Ah that's scrim tape, the ranch sabers tape has no fiber, it's just embossed. The squares are around 2mm I guess too

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back